“Aviation”

Boscombe Down Aviation Collection
Ranked #2 of 74 things to do in Salisbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Whether you're a serious aviation enthusiast or a kid who wants to sit in fast jet cockpits, this is for you! Please note - We are at Old Sarum Airfield - NOT at the Boscombe Down airfield.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wether you are into aviation or not this was a fantastic experience for me and my grandchildren. We were guided around by a knoweledgable retired gentleman who had worked at oscombe Down and could add stories to the information provided. My grandchildren like the fact that they could climb into cockpits and the instrument lights were on, they thought it was great.

stevemhall, Member at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you to everyone who has made the effort to leave these fantastic comments and ratings on Tripadvisor recently - It has made all the hard work by the entirely volunteer staff over the past year worth it!

Things are constantly changing so come back and see us again - and tell your friends!

Thanks again!

Steve

There are newer reviews for Boscombe Down Aviation Collection

Reviewed July 24, 2013

It was my wife's suprise birthday present; the staff were wonderful, really made her day! She is a fan of Harrier jump jets so being able to sit in one was a real treat.

1  Thank DavyWiltshire
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We've just spent a fantastic couple of hours with 6 five year old boys clambering in and out of a fantastic selection of aircraft and cockpits - my father-in-law and I also managed to act like big kids too...

Most of the aircraft/cockpits are open to the public and you can climb in to live out your fighter pilot fantasies without ever leaving the ground. The boys absolutely loved it !

The staff were all very friendly, willing to offer nuggets of information on the aircraft and show you how things worked.

The working airfield outside had planes taking off and landing during the afternoon and parachutists landing in the field on the other side as a spectacular finale to the afternoon.

I'm going to have to visit again in the future without all the kids to spend longer looking at all the bits we missed today.

Thanks to everyone who made us so welcome.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This museum is brilliant! I cannot wait to show my Dad. It is a collection of aircraft from aviation history. The descriptions are thorough, the exhibits are very accessible and the staff cannot wait to show you things. The people that run this are very passionate and very keen to impart this, they thoroughly enjoy showing you around, answering questions and getting you to play in the cockpits. It is so nice to go to a museum and feel very relaxed. We thoroughly enjoyed climbing in the cockpits, following start up procedures and turning on all the light switches. I went with my boyfriend and our good friends, a group of 23-26 year olds and we all loved it! The entry fee is a little pricey but they did do a discount. I do believe if more people went they could lower the fee too...

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Although an avid aviation enthusiast, I had only noticed this superb museum whilst visiting Old Sarum airfield a couple of weeks previously and decided to call by today. I appeared to be the first visitor of the day; at reception a really friendly chap took my entry fee, and told me that I could move anything I liked if it was in the way of what would otherwise be a good photo, touch anything I liked, and climb into anything I liked. Rather refreshing compared to the rules at most museums!

The collection is housed inside Hangar #1 at Old Sarum airfield and is very much a "work in progress" museum with various engineers tinkering with jet engines whilst you walk around. I spoke to all of them during my wander and all were happy to talk to me.

About two thirds of the exhibits are just the cockpits of the planes concerned, but most can be accessed via steps and even sat in. There are two helicopters outside awaiting attention, a Wasp and a Sycamore and these can be seen up close as well. The front of the building has an old Jet Provost and a newly acquired Jaguar which has certainly seen better days. When I called in a couple of weeks ago, there was a Hunter parked outside but this was now receiving attention inside the hangar.

Complete aircraft includes a Chipmunk, a Hunter F6A ( the one that was outside a couple of weeks ago), a Jet Provost, a stunning Meteor D16 in orange and red livery, a Sea Harrier and the two helicopters. The walls are adorned with various charts, maps, squadron badges and a huge array of flying paraphernalia.

Cockpits include a couple of Canberras, three further Hunters, two Jaguars, a Lightning, a Sea Hawk, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Tornado and others. All are well documented with the history of each exhibit and how it came to be in the collection here.

A superb little museum that can only get better with time. Thoroughly enjoyable and well worth the entyry fee of £8.50.

1  Thank GBfromDevizes