“A unusual, surprisingly good afternoon.”

Boscombe Down Aviation Collection
Ranked #2 of 76 things to do in Salisbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Whether you're a serious aviation enthusiast or a kid who wants to sit in fast jet cockpits, this is for you! Please note - We are at Old Sarum Airfield - NOT at the Boscombe Down airfield.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This museum is brilliant! I cannot wait to show my Dad. It is a collection of aircraft from aviation history. The descriptions are thorough, the exhibits are very accessible and the staff cannot wait to show you things. The people that run this are very passionate and very keen to impart this, they thoroughly enjoy showing you around, answering questions and getting you to play in the cockpits. It is so nice to go to a museum and feel very relaxed. We thoroughly enjoyed climbing in the cockpits, following start up procedures and turning on all the light switches. I went with my boyfriend and our good friends, a group of 23-26 year olds and we all loved it! The entry fee is a little pricey but they did do a discount. I do believe if more people went they could lower the fee too...

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Although an avid aviation enthusiast, I had only noticed this superb museum whilst visiting Old Sarum airfield a couple of weeks previously and decided to call by today. I appeared to be the first visitor of the day; at reception a really friendly chap took my entry fee, and told me that I could move anything I liked if it was in the way of what would otherwise be a good photo, touch anything I liked, and climb into anything I liked. Rather refreshing compared to the rules at most museums!

The collection is housed inside Hangar #1 at Old Sarum airfield and is very much a "work in progress" museum with various engineers tinkering with jet engines whilst you walk around. I spoke to all of them during my wander and all were happy to talk to me.

About two thirds of the exhibits are just the cockpits of the planes concerned, but most can be accessed via steps and even sat in. There are two helicopters outside awaiting attention, a Wasp and a Sycamore and these can be seen up close as well. The front of the building has an old Jet Provost and a newly acquired Jaguar which has certainly seen better days. When I called in a couple of weeks ago, there was a Hunter parked outside but this was now receiving attention inside the hangar.

Complete aircraft includes a Chipmunk, a Hunter F6A ( the one that was outside a couple of weeks ago), a Jet Provost, a stunning Meteor D16 in orange and red livery, a Sea Harrier and the two helicopters. The walls are adorned with various charts, maps, squadron badges and a huge array of flying paraphernalia.

Cockpits include a couple of Canberras, three further Hunters, two Jaguars, a Lightning, a Sea Hawk, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Tornado and others. All are well documented with the history of each exhibit and how it came to be in the collection here.

A superb little museum that can only get better with time. Thoroughly enjoyable and well worth the entyry fee of £8.50.

1  Thank GBfromDevizes
Reviewed April 10, 2013

we visited and were surprised at how long my two boys (7 and 9 ) stayed entertained by all the planes. where as some museums,don't invite you to touch and try and keep you at arms length .at boscombe your encouraged to sit in and explore the cockpits, we found the staff very helpful and polite, the only thing that could be improved is the notices by the exhibits as some of the information was hard to read as most of the exhibits had a fascinating history.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

A unique museum dedicated to aircraft test and evaluation. Housed in a superb WW1 hangar. Not cheap but well worth a visit.

stevemhall, Volunteer at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thanks for visiting and thanks for taking the time to post a review! I hope you found the entrance good value - We're a 'not for profit' charity and every penny goes towards housing and maintaining these lovely aircraft.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Visited Stonehenge and saw the planes collection at Old Sarum airfield on Trip Advisor. . The Boscombe Down collection was indeed a great suprise. To see so many whole planes and cockpits that you and the kids can sit in a play with was well worth the admission fee. A bright red and orange Meteor jet greets you and the rest of the exhibits are full of interest. There is even a real nucleur bomb there. (diffused I hope!!)

Well worth a visit

stevemhall, Volunteer at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you very much for your review! Glad you enjoyed your visit. The 'colourful' Gloster Meteor is also my favourite! :-) Over the coming months we will be restoring the Jindivik to a similar drone colour scheme.