“1st class”

Charter 1227 Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 272 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A fine dining restaurant located upstairs above Costa coffee overlooking Salisbury's Historic Market Square.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Excellent food, very welcoming. The Bosnian chef/patron is happy to adapt the dishes to personal diets. The best meal of our two week holiday in the south-west. Strongly recommended

There are newer reviews for Charter 1227 Restaurant

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have lived in Salisbury for over 30 years and have never thought of any of the restaurants as above and beyond until I visited Charter 1227 for my Birthday this year. The environment and decor is pretty standard and nothing unusual. The food however was exceptional, they had a limited menu which is always a good sign as the focus is then on the select dishes. They also had a very good set dinner. I started with the crab and had the steak for a main. Both were excellent and an added bonus was the vegetables were included and not some extortionate price unlike menu restaurants. To accompany the food we had 3 bottles of the house red which again was above average in quality and only around £18 though there were much more expensive wines. The waitstaff realised it was my birthday and surprised us with a complimentary birthday dessert which was a wonderful surprise. All in it was around £140 for 4, which was excellent value considering the quality of the food and amount of wine we had too, I have eaten at Prezzo for 4 and gone over this price. At the end the owner/chef came out to meet us and talk through his ideas. All the food is sourced locally and local produce if possible. We'll definitely go back.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Everything about our experience at Charter 1227 was faultless. The staff were friendly and took an obvious pride in their work. The setting was refined and understated so it felt special but not in the least intimidating. And the food, well what can I say? Every course was creative, beautifully presented and above all DELICIOUS! I wasn't drinking alocohol and my request for just tap water was met with nothing but curtesy. My husband had a glass of house Merlot which turned out to be a much better wine than many we have paid much more for at other restaurants. Overall, the meal was great value for money.
Having learnt the history of the restaurant from talking to Danny (the owner and chef) we'd just like to wish Charter 1227 every success as they work towards the future. This restaurant has , for us, set a standard against which all restaurants will be judged in the future.

1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The restaurant has a nice warm atmosphere and the waiters are very friendly.

The food was of good quality, if a little fussily arranged for my tastes. The portions were on the small side.

We had a very well priced and decent house red.

Whilst this is a good restaurant I wouldn't rave about it to friends or race to get back.

2  Thank Churntaz
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We wanted to find a nice restaurant as we were taking my daughter out for her birthday (her 30th!).
So, my wife looked on Tripadvisor and found Charter 1227. The reviews were so good we made a reservation for lunch. What a find! The welcome was warm and a table beside the window overlooking the Square was provided. We opted for the great value 2 courses for £9.90 menu and found the cuisine to be up there with the best we have enjoyed. There were dishes for all tastes and palettes. The presentation was also excellent on the plate but best of all, each dish (we each shared a little) was absolutely delicious!
My daughter also was treated very well with the owner/chef embellishing her desert plate with a chocolate "Happy 30th Birthday". I had not asked for this although I had mentioned the reason for the booking on the phone. Now that is great customer service.
The restaurant is independently owned and run by the chef who seems to really want to give his customers a great experience.
We'll be back!