“Wonderful hosts”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Colorado
“Wonderful hosts”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

First of all, Salisbury is a charming town. It's a shame that too many people associate it only with Stonehenge (which - don't get me wrong - is spectacular), because Salisbury itself is a beautiful, friendly place to visit.

As for Cricket Field House, it was a terrific home base for my two-day stay. As others have noted, it's far enough out of town to get you away from the hustle and bustle, and yet close enough to walk to your destinations. It's about a fifteen minute walk to the train station, where you can catch the well-run tour bus to Stonehenge and Old Sarum. From my room at Cricket Field House it was about 20-25 minutes to walk to the Cathedral.

The accommodations are delightful. My room (#9) was clean and comfortable, which is all you really need when you're exploring, right? Brian was a gracious host; when I checked in I happened to mention that I'd left my power converter plug in London. No worries, he let me borrow one for the duration of the stay. I knew already that I'd picked the right spot.

And let's not forget the second part of the Bed and Breakfast equation. Brian cooked up a delicious breakfast each morning, with generous helpings. The dining room is peaceful and tastefully decorated, and you don't feel cramped with other guests. It was a great way to power up for each day.

Cheers to Brian, Margaret, and Agnes for making me feel like I was an old friend. I'm happy to not only recommend Cricket Field House, but will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is just far enough from the bustle of Salisbury that you feel a bit like you are in the country. On one side of the property is a cricket club complex where they actually play (a stretch term for this game) the game on weekends as well as field hockey, and across the road are fields and woods. However, just a block or two down the road toward town you will find a convenient small market, a burger joint and a gas station.
The hotel itself consists of a cluster of connected buildings with rooms adjacent to the main house, which was an old estate. There is a pleasant garden and lawn complete with ducks behind the house which is open to guests and the large, sunny breakfast room is between the office and the rooms.
It is a family run establishment and everyone pitches in. Andrew, the son was the one on front desk duty while we were there for three nights and he could not have been nicer or more helpful. He also was the waiter for breakfast, which includes several hearty selections from the menu and a fruit and cereal table. His father came to our room late in the evening our first night to fix a problem with our toilet and his mother was in the kitchen or covering the front office at times. She kindly loaned us wine glasses for our room.
And speaking of our room, it was the largest one we had on our four week trip. We were able to really spread out and be comfortable and we had a great view of the green lawns at the cricket club and any activity (??) that might be going on.
It was about a mile walk to the center of Salisbury from the hotel, along busy Wilton Road, but there is a sidewalk all the way and we enjoyed the walk. You can also take a bus, but we never did. We did not have a car, as we were traveling by train on this trip, but there is plenty of space in the hotel parking lot.
This a very friendly pleasant place to stay and we would certainly do so again.

Room Tip: An upper floor (first floor) room with a view of the cricket field or garden would offer the best vi...
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Easy to find just to the west of Salisbury. Lovely large modern room, facing a beautiful garden, comfortable beds, two large comfortable blue easy chairs in our room, with plush red carpeting. A pleasure. Friendly accommodating breakfast staff, even got us soy milk since we don't do dairy. The proprietor told us how to find some great footpaths through fields to walk into town, and recommended great places to eat. We highly recommend this place and would stay here again. It was nice not to have young children around, too.

Room Tip: Ask about a room with a view of the garden.
Shropshire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My booking - made online after a personal recommendation - was quickly acknowledged by email. Having been asked to check in after 1400 but wanting to arrive earlier in order to change for a funeral, I emailed back and was given an immediate assurance that I could arrive at the time I asked. Thus being expected at a particular hour, I was greeted with warmth, by name and with sensible advice about my stay. My room was very clean and more than big enough for a single person for a single night although I'd have thought it a little tight for a longer stay: the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Wifi internet was, free, easily accessed, fast and reliable - although it took me a couple of minutes to locate a 230v power socket and the one I found wasn't in the best of location either for a computer or (the provided) kettle. Best of all, though, breakfast was bigger and of better quality than any I've been offered in any hotel, anywhere and regardless of cost or number of stars. If I have need of another trip to Salisbury, I'll be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MCB_Shropshire
Key Biscayne, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2013

try to reserve a room for my family two adults and two children. After a confirmed reservation through bookings.com, I received a mail from the hotel asking me to confirm the age.
when i told them my daughters were 12 and 14 they said they did not accept children below 14 .
They asked me to cancel the reservation.
I called them and asked them why? A Lady called Margret said she did not have to tell me but eventually did. She said it was for insurance purposes....
absolutely ridiculous .
Shame on them.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Philippe T
Andrew J, General Manager at Cricket Field House, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Rightly or wrongly, I very rarely feel the need to respond to reviews on this platform - or on any other for that matter. In the past we have been fortunate enough to have had many good and very few bad responses to the service that we provide at Cricket Field, and I think any level headed, intelligent traveller can read between the lines and make an overall informed decision as to the level of service that they can expect when booking with us. The fact that we are consistently at or very near the top of Tripadvisor's ratings for Salisbury speaks for itself.

However, on this occasion I feel it is necessary to set the record straight.

This 'guest' booked 2 Twin rooms with us, using Booking.com. As with ALL bookings that we receive, a confirmation email is sent out detailing the dates and the rooms booked. We also ask for any dietary information that might be pertinent and also a confirmation of the anticipated time of arrival. This email is addressed personally to the person who booked the rooms, and we find that genuine guests actually really appreciate this initial contact with us.

From experience, when someone books 2 rooms, either Twins, or a Double and a Twin, we also ask them to confirm that all travellers in the party are over 14 years of age. We do this because the particular insurances we have at Cricket Field House, state that no-one under the age of 14 years can be in a room overnight on their own.

This is our booking policy, it is extremely clear on all of our marketing material, on all of our online booking websites and particularly clear in any booking confirmation that is received by the guest.

This 'guest' was asked to confirm the age of the travellers in his party, which he did. As a result he confirmed that his children were 12 and 14. He was politely reminded of our VERY CLEAR Booking Policy and we offered him the name and contact details of an alternative establishment. He responded with a one line email saying that our policies were ridiculous and he would make his feelings known on the web. Unfortunately it seems that some people who do not get their own way, having ignored the terms and conditions of the booking, can only resort to threatening reviews on sites such as Tripadvisor. Note, he has not left a review on Booking.com, in part because it would be removed by them as he has not actually stayed at Cricket Field House and also because it is his own fault for dismissing the booking policies, put in place to protect the vast majority of our genuine guests.

After a period of 90 minutes the same guest sent another larger email accusing us of being discriminatory and draconian. He is of course entitled to his opinion, however it is my opinion that if he travels around the world with his family and blatantly ignores the Terms and Conditions of booking of the establishments he is staying at, it is only a matter of time before someone catches him out.

I want the Tripadvisor audience to know that we do the very best we can for those guests that actually stay with us at Cricket Field House, and from the very kind reviews that we receive, we think that our guests very much appreciate the effort that goes in to making their stay as comfortable and pleasurable as possible.

I find it very sad that this 'guest' has used Tripadvisor to try and show us in a negative light and hope that anybody reading his 'review' will see it for what it really is.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I poised to take good picture of Stonehenge.

I have never had enough time and good weather, or once it was too dark to take picture.

Hence, this UK trip after business conference, we plan to stay close to Stonehenge so we have enough time for action. And by research, the closest town was Salisbury. This B&B was 2nd rank at Trip. I believe it must be good.

We got big attics room no 11 located at the 2nd fl with view. The room was huge, and clean. It has a wardrobe, flat TV, dress table, boiling jar, heater, trouser press (?) and 2 sofas. However the bathroom was too tiny even for Asian size, and the water was flow no pressure. We also noticed that the toilet flush need to be repaired as well.

The morning view to cricket ground was fabulous.

Bird sing along was a bonus. Sunday morning with view plus 9 degree Celsius, and cloudy English sky made it a perfect moment to sip the earl grey tea by looking at the window.

The best part of the moment was the breakfast. Tedious staff serving delicious English Breakfast was lovely. The attentive staff, many selection fruit, bread, juice, yogurt, made the morning was perfect.

Its perfect B&B place to see UK small charm town and to see Stonehenge where 8 mile away from the hotel.

Fully recommended B&B.

Room Tip: Chose the second floor facing cricket ground for better experience..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NGHC
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Our ground floor room was extremely clean and large and had a private courtyard beyond which there were beautiful gardens with ducks and a pond. The king size bed was very comfortable, the marble bathroom was large with a great shower. Breakfast was superb in a lovely light-filled conservatory. We have travelled throughout England Scotland for the last three and a half weeks and this facility would rate with the best of our experiences.

Room Tip: Room 20 is magnificent.
1 Thank Bill H