“Not my first choice but it turned out ok” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cricket Field House
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Australian in New York
“Not my first choice but it turned out ok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

Firstly I have to say I am busy catching up on reviews and I am looking for The Cricket Field House and can't find it... silly me, I was looking under B&B's. I am VERY surprised to find this listing under hotels!
This was not my first choice but when I came to book this part of my journey, I realised it was Bank Holiday weekend.... say no more.
Having said all of that, I had read the reviews about the dragon lady and i have to say she was more than polite to us (maybe it was the Aussie accent?). The only negative thing she said was to keep the boys away from the gardens which was disappointing as that is one of the reasons I booked it. Apaently some birds were nesting. We had an upstairs room which was clean, quiet and fine. Our bathroom was small but modern, our room was flowery but spacious.
My boys loved watching the young boys next door playing cricket and were even more thrilled when asked to join in for a hit.
We realised when we got to London that one of my boys had left his sweater next door at the cricket. When I rang, Margaret gave me the number of the keeper who dropped the sweater to her and it arrived back in NY before we did so she was most helpful in this regards.
Athough. We had a special tour of Stonehenge booked for 8am the next morning. When I checked with Margaret about breakfast she said it ran from 7.30-9.30am ( I think) with NO exceptions. So I said that if we arrived back at 9.35am??? She said NO BREAKFAST!!!! So I asked her 'well what about 9.29am?' She said breakfast!! Lucky I have a sense of humor. We arrived back at 9.15am for a delicious breakfast that i was glad not to miss and she actually said to me that she was happy we had made it back and that she was sorry that she really did have to stick to that as otherwise she didn't have enough staff to get all the rooms serviced in time.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
UpsetPerson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2008

It is interesting that some people rated this hotel. All I can say is that they must have very low standards of expectation.

After being told that we could take a booking for 7 rooms from an informed staff member (yes Margaret YOUR staff member stated this so take some resposibility) we went ahead and confirmed our wedding date and invited guests from Australia ensuring them their accommodation was arranged.

How embarrassing to go back to them after the very un delightful Margaret informed us (in a tone that implied we were lying) that "no we do not take bookings of that size and have not done so for 20 years therefore you must be wrong".

As you can see we were left out in the cold and had to make drastic arrangements to our big day.

So in short, do not stay at this hotel and if you do, don't mention you are part of a happy, gleeming wedding party. Maragret is obviously very unhappy and the thought of someone else having a good time is her lifes mission to destroy.

After having inspected the hotel after an invitation from HER staff I can honestly say. If you want to stay on a busy road in a position best served by a petrol station and have a room akin to a hospital suite then knock yourself out and book this place for your stay in Salisbury. Better still stay at the Old Mill, its nolstalgic, friendly and doesn't smell slightly of unwashed old man.

Stayed December 2007
10 Thank UpsetPerson
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

It is slightly unnerving to arrive at a hotel you had booked only to be told by Brian the grumpy receptionist that this is not really a hotel – it is more a bed and breakfast. Well if that is the case remove the word “hotel” and insert the words “Bed and Breakfast” in all your advertising and that will remove any confusion. Upon confirming that my booking was for a room with a bath, Brian the grumpy receptionist told me “we don’t do baths” - this was despite that booking being made for a room with a bath ! I should have left at this point.

My single room was very much designed/decorated in the 70’s – right down to the 12” portable TV: no sign of digital TV here at the Cricket Field House B & B. Overly flowery curtains, overpowering number of twee ornaments, artex ceiling and coupled with a maroon carpet and green (yes green) bedside table and chest of drawers. The bathroom, or should I say shower room was tiny with a glass light fitting full of dead flies – always a sure sign of lack of attention to detail and general lax approach to hygiene (if this is front of house - makes you wonder how clean the kitchen is!).

The snack menu was ludicrously overpriced for a B & B - £6.50 for a jacket potato and baked beans !!!!!! And the wireless internet was also priced at £6.50 and came with no instructions.

Location wise it is wedged between a major road into Salisbury and the main railway line – a fact I became aware of at 0430 !!!

At £68 a night for a 7 foot wide room, (I know I measured it) with a single bed – it was surely the worst value in the entire of Salisbury. Go elsewhere. It is overpriced by at least £30 a night and lacks any form of warmth or welcome you might expect from a B & B.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Lack of bath - tiny rooom - grumpy staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank Catttto
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

My wife and I have just returned from three wonderful days in Wiltshire. Our friends lived 12 miles from the Cricket Field House but it was well worth the daily travel. The owner warmly welcomed us upon our arrival at 7pm on a Saturday night and showed us to our comfortable and bright room which overlooked the beautifully tended garden and ajoining cricket ground( dont worry its not Lords or the Oval). Each morning we got a cheery welcome and excellent Full English Breakfast prepared and served by the owners, this set us up for the day exploring the sites and attractions that are in easy reach of this delightful hotel. Will stay again when in area and recommend to all.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steve C
Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2007

I am (Was) a member of the Royal Air Force and was booked into this hotel for a Ressettlement Course prior to leaving the Forces after a 23 year service. After reading a couple of the previous (and it turns out UNFOUNDED ) reviews, I was a little dissapointed to find I was to stay there.
However this was a prime example of 'Dont believe ALL that you read!!'
I arrived at 21.45 (latest check in 22.00) and found there was a problem with my TV aerial. I went to reception that was just about to close and was met by Brian the owner. He came directly to my room and then after being unable to fix it went out to his store and got me a new one. Solving the problem at 22.30 and was polite and professional throughout. Both Brian and Margret (His wife) were extremely helpful and made me feel most welcome for my complete stay (5 nights) I had never met either of these people before and would (and have) recommended this hotel to all my family and friends planning a trip to Salisbury.
There are pubs and shops nearby and it is a short walk to the centre, but the beauty of it is you dont feel this close. Awakening to the sound of ducks and views over the Cricket Field. (Which has an adjoining Golf Club with Driving Range)
If I am in the area again with my family, we will definately be re-booking!!! A fantastic hotel with fantastic hosts!!

• Liked — The staff friendliness and the quality of the hotel.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank tblincs