“New owners, very good food.”

The Porton Hotel Restaurant & Takewaway
Ranked #115 of 279 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Porton Hotel was once The Old Railway Tavern, and has been converted into a family run hotel, restaurant and bar. The location provides easy acccess to Porton Down facilities, the World Heritage site of Stonehenge in Amesbury and the cherised salisbury Cathedral in the centre of Salisbury.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The new owners are really improving the hotel. The food is lovely and the quiz night on Wednesday is great fun. The speciality curry evening on Thursday is great.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Although the Porton Hotel is not the closest pub to my house, but it is truly the best. The new owners are very accommodating. The food is far better than the any pub food I have ever experienced! The quality and presentation is comparable to high end restaurants minus the high end prices. My husband and I love to meet up after work for a couple pints with all the other hardworking locals. It has a great atmosphere, relaxed, comfortable and extremely welcoming to all. I highly recommend the Porton, whether you want to be social and have a drink or enjoy some local fine dining.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

WOW ! ! ! ! That believe me is the best way to start this review. My Son & his Wife booked us in for a Sunday Lunch as my wife and i were visiting hims for the weekend. When my son telephoned he specified a disabled access table for us as I am wheelchair bound. We arrived and were shown to our table which was perfect for me ,it was the right height and had a lot of room for me to move easily and get comfortable.The very simple but exciting menu was brought for us to chose our meals, We did not know where to start but in the end my wife choose the superb Classic French Mussels Dish,whilst my Son choose the Three Fishcakes which were incidently all home made,while my Daughter in Law and I choose the excellent Deep Fried Breaded Camenbert which again was made on the premise's(not the cheese). After the super starters we then had to choose our main course,and what a choice from Beef, Gammon, Ham Pork B elly and Lamb Roast meats all served with a wide selection of veg. Well we all looked at each other and could not make up our minds. The wonderful host then said " Why don't you have the Triple Roast ?" this was music to our ears and we all plumped for that. The waitress appeared and said "Chef asked if you would mind waiting about 15 minutes" as he was about to serve some fresh Roasted Spuds and also those marvelous home made enormous Yorkshire Puddings,of course we didn't and the time soon went .The meals were served and they were absolutely outstanding , the gravy was thick and tasty and was definately not from a packet.Everything was superb even the array of condiments , a special mention should go to the apple sauce,which was served with just the mearest hint of cinnamon and complimented the Belly Pork.Our mains over it was time to visit the sweet menu,well for the wife andI it was,my strapping Rugby Playing 6'6" son was full up. My good lady decided on Eton Mess and I choose the Apple Crumble & Ice Cream,again both being made on the premise's, as with the previous two course' the sweets were again excellent,The meal was rounded of with two Latte's one for moi and one for the daughter in law. It was then reluctantly time to depart The bill was for the Very High Standard of Excellent Food very very reasonable. and took into account three pints of Cider a pint and a half of Real Ale and a glass and a half of Coke. The Service was Excellent and so was the Atmosphere, Mine Host and his Wife & Daughter were excellent Host's and we even got to meet a young chef who at twenty four years old I'm sure should have a great future ahead of him.
GREAT FOR DISABKED OERSONS.

1  Thank John T
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We ate here on Friday 22nd June after a long working week. The food was excellant. A vast array of fish and meat dishes. We both had rump steak, which was juicy and suculent and enjoyed the vegatables and potatoes rather than the normal garnish normally served with steak.
The service was very good and attentive, even a visit from the chef to check everythink ok. we would highly reccommend and will be visiting again soon

Reviewed June 23, 2012

The porton hotel has changed hands recently and I have experienced both the old and new owners. The new owners have transformed the porton hotel from a mediocre pub to a lovely hotel offering great food.

I visited for lunch on the 20th June with a relatively large group and the land lady was kind enough to send the menu out in advance so we could pre-order. The food was served very quickly and efficiently and the quality was great.

If you have been to the porton hotel in the past and have been disappointed I would urge you to give it a second chance!