“Good food, good atmosphere”
Review of The Lazy Cow Restaurant - CLOSED

The Lazy Cow Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Contemporary, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We dined here on a recent trip to Salisbury. Be forewarned that they do not have continuous service in the dining room, but have a lovely pub with fireplace and comfy chairs to enjoy a pint or other drink until opened. We were lucky to get there early enough to choose our own table on a Monday evening and sat next to the fireplace. My husband ordered a steak and I ordered chicken wings as I was still recovering from a big lunch! One thing to note about the wings is that the sauce does not contain any soy/soya products so if you are sensitive like I am, you can enjoy to your heart's content. My husband said his steak was excellent. We also had the fried pickles as a starter, which was a whole pickle as opposed to slices batter-dipped then fried, but still good. These are not the same kind of dill one would find in the US, more of a Polish dill with a sweetness to them. I do think that the meal was a bit pricey as far as my husband's steak, but that seems to be the norm for most steakhouses in the UK.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I went to visit a friend in Salisbury and was recommended to eat at TLC. Well yes it was very busy and had to wait 20 mins for a table but that is what happens when the food is so good!! Im a Steak Lover and the selection of meat is excellent. Great vibe fantastic food will be back thank you.

1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Went here during the last week with a group of friends. Arrived at about 7pm and the waitress struggled to find a table at first and they appeared to be short of staff. We stood in the bar for a while and beer was limited to one real ale because the others were all off...a good start.
They finally arranged a couple of tables together for us in the bar itself. This later proved to be a problem because we were rather close to a small party of four drunk people, who seemed to be work colleagues, one of whom had a very big gob and thought he was the life and soul of the party for the whole evening. Conversation was limited to the periods between this lot screaming with laughter at each others antics.

Food was ordered from a fairly reasonable menu although how you can tell the difference between an australian (£20) and an argentinian (£22) sirloin I will never know. We then waited 45 mins for the starters and a further 25 mins for the main meals. Those who didn't have a starter thus waited over an hour for something to eat after ordering, this of course in true restaurant tradition racks up the drinks bill. Main meals all came with a very large roasted garlic bulb as the main vegetable which most of us didn't eat because we don't like it and a small basket of chips which were good.
Given the time we had been there and the ever increasing racket from our neighbours nobody had a dessert. All in all a lot of money for not a lot. Ambience awful, service slow and the chips were good. We will not be revisiting as ther are far more superior places to eat in Salisbury.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We will admit the meat was very good, however one order was not cooked as asked for but got away with it because of the quality of meat. However the service was very slow, we left after our main course as we couldn't be bothered to wait for a pudding, and felt that the whole meal was overpriced. They would certainly benefit from more staff.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have visited this restaurant twice now and sadly have been disappointed both times. We first visited in September, the service was a little unfriendly and fairly slow considering we were one of only three tables eating, however it wasn't terrible. We both ordered the steak (not the argentinian as this had 'sold out', on a Thursday!). I asked for Med-rare, the steak came medium and was incredibly tough and chewy so I ended up leaving most of it. On the contrary, my boyfriend had exactly the same as me and his was lovely, so perhaps I was unlucky.

With this in mind, we decided to give it another go. Again we visited on a week night and it was relatively busy. We had booked, so were seated and handed menus. I realised that the menus we were given were not the standard evening one, it contained a bizarre combination of food (basically whatever random items they had left over and had cobbled together last minute) and only had one steak which was priced at over £40. After waiting for at least 10 minutes for our drink order to be taken (and a further 10mins to receive said bottle of wine) we still did not receive an explanation as to why we had, what looked like, a bar snack menu you would be given at lunch.
We eventually managed to grab a passing waiter to ask for the normal menu, only to be told that that was the menu tonight, without an explanation. The guy was quite rude (perhaps they had already received lots of complaints) but at the very least they could have advised that the kitchen had run out of pretty much all meat before we sat down.

By this time it was already quite late so we stayed and had burgers as we were both really hungry. The burgers were nice, but the service really is not up to scratch. Your food is plonked down-usually you are asked if you need anything else, drink etc-not here. I asked for some mayonnaise which never materialised (apparently there wasn't any and the chef 'forgot' to make some), the waitress didn't feel the need to pass this information on.

As others have commented, it is London prices, but so far I have not found the food, or service anywhere near up to the standard to warrant prices they are charging. Such a shame as it's a good concept, but much more time and training needs to be put into the staff.