“Poor!”
Review of The Chapter House

The Chapter House
Ranked #6 of 59 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We were given a voucher for a free one night stay at the hotel as we had a bad experience the previous time we were there!

As we needed to spend a night in Salisbury in November we thought we'd take up the offer!

Positive - staff are amazing and very helpful.
Our room was very small but clean. The hot water took an age to come through!

We decided to have a meal at the pub - disastrous!

Waited an age for our steaks and when they arrived they were cold, along with the bernaise sauce. Apologies from staff and steak heated. Sauce still cold!! The meals were not cheap and the standard is poor.

The Manager did apologise and took some money off the bill.

Breakfast next morning - disastrous. We opted for eggs benedict. This came out cold too so we sent it back and had nothing and left!!!!

I would not stay at this hotel again, although it is a shame as the location is good and the staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beverley B

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Maybe they are getting the money too easy on the back of being right opposite the Cathedral and on the edge of the wonderful city of Salisbury ,or just work on the basis that a one off hit from tourists they will never see again is a good earn, but this website does not paint a pretty picture for this Pub Restaurant's future.
We booked a week in advance as a party of ten, a surprise 50 th Birthday, travelled 20 miles on recommendation of someone that had lunched there, but I can't say we were at all impressed by the way the Kitchen or Chef turned out the food.
The staff were okay, but a bit too laid back as we had to travel to the bar many times to order our own drinks as no-one seemed to be keeping an eye, not busy enough to have any excuse for the lack of attention.
Fabulous pieces of steak beautifully cooked, but who adds Salt to steak to the extent that you can taste it the next day, the same for the Chips or Fries . Good meat does not need a flavour enhancement, as per the web site Seasoning maybe, but not unwanted salt in large quantities .

15 minutes passed for some of us between, the arrival of the lonely Steaks and other basic mains and the rest of the sides, I had to have my steak re-heated as it was cold by the time the other bits and pieces arrived. Some of us were almost finished as others started, getting some Mustard was a big task.
I was told afterwards, we were told the Chef wouldn't want to know about our complaint and as one of the ladies had started her steak it could not be sent back or changed !

The host, paid begrudgingly after a some lengthy discussion, £500 of a £588 bill. He slipped off and paid for it quietly as a treat to everyone, if we had been paying attention we would have all contested the bill.
Fortunately the Birthday Girl was so wrapped up in the surprise I think she hardly noticed.
I know six of us definitely won't be going back, nor will anyone I am talking to if the place comes up in discussion.
As a Salisbury business person with 60 Staff, about 35 customers in and out of my premises every day 7 days a week and various business lunches in the year, the L C did too much to live up to its name for me to suggest returning.
If you want a good meal in Salisbury there are plenty of Privately run good pubs that will turn out an excellent menu and would thank you very much for a tip on half the bill we received at the LC, to mention one, try the Victoria and Albert in Netherhampton 5 minutes out of town, character, characters and very wholesome and worthwhile food. Service is everything !

Room Tip: Stay in Lenny's Lodge (Premier Inn), you are guaranteed a clean smart room with all the necessit...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We paid £130 for a room and a £40 VIP uplift to have Champagne in the room when we arrived, Breakfast and a room upgrade if available. When we arrived we were told we couldn't check in till 3pm, which is ridiculous if you have had a long journey. When we did get our room it was small and so filthy that we didn't want to remove our shoes. The staff were disinterested and unhelpful and only bought a cheap bottle of Prosecco up when I found some one to complain to. We booked a restaurant table for 8:15pm and by 9pm still hadn't even been given any bread. In the end we walked to the burger shop up the road because we were so hungry. We didn't sleep all night because the room was so noisy and cold and the bed tiny with a rock hard mattress. We ended up leaving at 6:30 and driving home, ruining our weekend. I feel like I have been completely ripped off and I am furious. How these con artists can call this a Boutique hotel is beyond me, this is 2 star maximum and should have cost less than 50 quid.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gibstone
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Unfortunately, the bad bits completely out weigh the good bits. All of the comments here truly reflect this establishment. The steaks are the best you'll find anywhere and some of the staff are friendly and try really hard at providing good service. The building is historic and well located but rooms and food are overprice.

The big issues are with cleanliness, security, lack of attention to detail and, at times, slow, disinterested service.

This place could be really good but, until the owners spend a little more money putting right the basics and properly resourcing and training their staff (and reviews start to get better) do not stay here. If you're prepared to pay for it, eat in the restaurant, by all means but check the bill and your credit card statement afterwards if other's experiences are anything to go by.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This hotel has tremendous character and the rooms have been refurbished with great style. The location is great and the bar/restaurant, though a bit pricey, is good quality. Two problems are both staff related - I suspect both overworked and undertrained. Breakfast was tasty but chaotic My room had not been properly cleaned and my friends had to change rooms due to dirt. Much more serious I have been double-charged for the room and 2 weeks down the line the staff have showed no interest in correcting the mistake - it is now with my bank to sort out. So don't stay at the Lazy Cow, do have a meal there but pay in cash only

Room Tip: Go for 5, 6 or 7
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Timbobass
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have to say I really don't understand the negative reviews of this hotel/restaurant as I have just spent an amazing 4 days birthday treat there.
From start to finish we had an amazing time.The hotel is indeed old, quirky and creaky but that just adds to the experience. We stayed in a beautiful large room that was more like a suite, it had a fabulously comfy kingsize bed, sofa, table, chairs and a large flatscreen tv. It also had a nespresso machine and a variety of "Tea Pigs" tea.... we were very impressed.

The staff all do seem quite young but we found them extremely helpful, especially Ryan, whom I think was the duty manager and Cathy who served us in the bar/restaurant, but all the staff were polite and efficient during our stay.

We ate in the restaurant and were treated to what I must say was one of the most tender steaks we probably have ever eaten, we shared a home aged (you can see the steaks in their own ageing fridge as you enter the restaurant) Galloway bone-in ribeye and it was cooked to perfection, it literally melted on my tongue
We had read that they have a Josper BBQ Grill that cooks at over 400 degrees and as I am a total "foody" and after chatting to Ryan about the grill he asked me if I would like to see it. If I hadn't been so full I would have shot up but after prising myself away from nearly licking the plate, off we went into the kitchen and I met the very talented and passionate chef Maxxi who had cooked our dinner.He took a few minutes out of service to explain the grill to us (I want one for my next birthday!) I thanked him very much and left him to the rest of service.
After a comfort rest and a few belt notches opened we shared a mix of shot puddings - all of which were delicious.

The hotel is across the road from the gates to Salisbury Cathedral and its lovely grounds so a few min walk and you're there.The city is quaint but busy and the market was lively. I can thoroughly recommend a few days in this great place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

There are some nice things about this hotel: it's a beautiful old building; very central; not terribly expensive (for accommodation anyway, I think the restaurant is over priced) but it's let down by the service and by just being shabby and tatty around the edges really.

We ate in the restaurant and they had run out of lobster (and didn't tell us when they gave us menus) and Picpoul - hardly an obscure white wine - AND port. I think the port is unforgivable really - they could easily have nipped to The White Hart and borrowed some but I don't think it occurred to any of the waiting staff, there's a very "<shrug> oh well" attitude. And there were 6 of us for dinner so we spent a couple of hundred quid. You'd have thought they'd want to make an effort.

The rooms are ok if not a bit log cabin ish. Mine (we had 2 rooms) had an old lady type bath and a tatty bathroom and was fairly small (but only £99 so there you go) but my son's room was nicer (at £105) and bigger. The beds were comfortable though so that was good.

They don't have a car park so you need to park in The White Hart a few doors down, which is fine and very nearby. The Lazy Cow don't tell you that though unless you ask, which is a bit rubbish of them.

If I was grading it I reckon it's a C+, maybe a B- in other words, could do better. Sorting out the service would help a lot and could make this a really decent small hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one that doesn't overlook the road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family