“Great service, lovely hotel, wonderful food”
Review of The Chapter House

The Chapter House
Ranked #5 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great service, lovely hotel, wonderful food”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is bang in the centre of Salisbury and very convenient for everything. We didn't use the car for the whole stay. The service at the hotel was fantastic; nothing was too much trouble - extra pillows, special requests on food, finding things to do, re-arrangement of the room, etc, etc. The staff were friendly and efficient and happy to help. Food was fantastic and really tasty and very good value. It's an old building so expect the usual things you get with old buildings: quirky plumbing, uneven floors and some cracks in the plaster work but the whole of Salisbury is old so don't expect the building to have been built last year! Overall fantastic and highly recommended.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Brighton
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great old higgeldy piggeldy building... Lovely room lots of extras that make you feel special... Fantastic genuine staff who seem to love the hotel / restaurant. Went out of their normal roles to deliver, for example when we had a huge steak but fancied dessert they offered to bring it to our room later and did.
We feel it is much better to have staff who are real (with pint in hand) than the corporate trained monkeys you get elsewhere.
Absolutely loved our stay and have already planned a return trip in 2013.
We must credit Paula with being exceptional on more than one occasion, she was there every time we needed something. Including letting us back in after being locked out, still with a smile...
We would agree with others about the parking but coming from Brighton understand this problem, all that is needed is to make it clear to customers that you will be charged.
I have worked in the industry for 20 years running pubs, coffee shops etc now own my own cafes as a chef, and love this place for its quirky imperfections...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nursewendy
Mountsorrel, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had a pre Xmas break at the Lazy Cow in Salisbury. The place is easy to find via sat nav and ample parking was available a little further along the road. The building itself is very quirky and the wonky stairs take a little bit of getting used to! Our room was lovely and spacious with a massive bathroom. However there was no hotel or local area information provided in the room which I though a little odd. We had cocktails in the bar on the first evening and were looking forward to eating from the bar menu but unfortunately they had finished serving this by the time we arrived. We both had a full breakfast on the 1st morning which was a bit of a disaster when the ramekin of baked beans arrived stone cold. The plates were cold too causing the food to go cold very quickly and we were both concerned about the sausages, which tasted almost rancid (it wasn’t just our food either as a quick glance around the tables showed that all diners had left the baked beans and sausages). When mentioning this to the staff we were advised that “lots of people say that but it’s just the type of sausage we use”. Memo to staff – change the sausage then! The following day breakfast was much better (minus sausage) albeit we did ask in advance for a warm plates etc.
On the second day we returned to the room at 7pm after a full day sightseeing and were most shocked to find that the room had not been serviced, even though we had left at 11am and left the appropriate request on the door handle. A call to reception swiftly brought fresh towels etc and an offer to change room but this would have been more trouble than it was worth when we were leaving the following day.
I’ve stayed at the Lazy Cow in Warwick and eaten there too on numerous occasions and in my opinion, it is far better run than it’s’ sister in Salisbury. Overall the hotel is in a good position and has the bones of a good little boutique hotel but seems let down by being run by a staff of students on part time jobs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We purchased a deal on KGB for a 2-night stay at the Lazy Cow and all I have to say is that it was a complete bargain and if it appears again, I'll be back.

The rooms are really quirky with a real bovine theme present throughout the hotel while the beds are big and comfy and the toilets are massive. The only thing is that I kept hitting my head off the low beams but that was pretty much my own fault.

The bar is nice and cosy and was busy on the Friday and Saturday but not too busy. Some nice ales on offer including a Christmas brew that was very nice. The restaurant is situated alongside the bar and was also busy in the run up to Christmas. We ate there on the Saturday night and while it isn't cheap, it was very nice with lots of different steak options to choose from.

Salisbury is a little gem of a town, very pretty with lovely pubs and of course, the catherdal - I would recommend visiting and if you do, check out the Lazy Cow

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevinb82
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I visit Salisbury for work about once a month and have done for the past 2 years I have to say this is far and away the best restaurant and hotel in the city, The range on the menu and specials means i never get bored, I love a good steak and that exactly what you get here a GREAT steak. I have to recommend the bloody mary butter which I’m pretty sure I could eat on just about anything not just a steak. The bar menu offers a cheaper alternative for those not looking at spending an arm and a leg, chicken wings are always a safe bet.
I’m a big fan of cocktails and they once again do not disappoint, the classics or new innovative ideas you can even get a naughty hot chocolate with a little brandy in it to take the chill out of your bones.
The rooms are gorgeous and coming with free wine never fail to cheer me up. I have always found the staff friends personable and with a great sense of humour which when I’m away from home is very much needed.
Honestly couldn’t recommend this place enough you will not be disappointed

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cardiff
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at the Lazy Cow, Salisbury which we booked (thankfully) on a KGB deal.

Upon arrival we were shown to Room 3 (log cabin room). The room is beautifully furnished and a nice size, however we did notice a rather large damp patch/stain on the ceiling and tape covering holes in the bathroom ceiling, There is little storage or hanging area in the room - not even coat hooks!.

We left our belongings and immediately went out to have a look around Salisbury, however when we returned the room and bathroom were freezing cold.

The following morning after breakfast, we spoke to reception who advised us that there was a problem with the heating in certain parts of the hotel and could provide us with a portable electric heater if required - we accepted this offer, and the room did quickly warm up.

We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night. I had a lovely steak, however my boyfriend complained that his had a large chunk of gristle. The portions are enormous, but not cheap.

On Sunday morning we were woken to the sound of dripping, only to discover water pouring through the bathroom ceiling from the room above (the reason for the damp stain on the ceiling, and removal of down-lighters in the bathroom ceiling became apparent!) My boyfriend went downstairs to get assistance, only to be handed a bowl! We ended up mopping the water up ourselves using hand towels and dressing gowns, just to enable us to get a shower,, and breakfast.

To top it all - we went to breakfast, to be served stone cold baked beans. Yes.. we should have brought this to the attention of our server, but by this point I just wanted to leave.

On reading other peoples reviews on this site, I believe that we were unlucky with our experience and our room. On a positive note the hotel is brilliantly situated, the staff are lovely, the building is quirky and the idea is unique. However the execution of the idea leaves alot to be desired. I left feeling that the building renovation and upgrade had been carried out in a superficial manner with out ensuring the foundations were sound and solid.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 3 at all costs!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CardiffSpencer
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I originally booked this place because I thought I could combine a few of my favorite things.. spending time in historic towns with my boyfriend and steak!!

I saw the steak house first and then noticed a great deal on the rooms above. I was intrigued by the decor and though it could be a bit of fun.I did a bit of research on the city and read some good reviews so booked for two nights. Well, I loved everything about this place, it's sense of quirky style, the location and we got the warmest of welcomes from a young guy called Matt. We arrived late Friday and was led up to our room (14) it was beautifully decorated and had exposed beams and features throughout. The bathroom was massive and very clean. We booked into the hotels restaurant with no trouble although it was busy. The restaurant and bar was lively and all staff were very friendly. Food was quality I had fillet steak and it was done to perfection.
The hotel is practically central to the city, a short walk to the centre and opposite the cathedral gate. Perfect for shopping, we even went to the cinema and walked about the local market. There are plenty of cafe and/or bars depending on your pleasure.
Rooms cleaned daily and to a really good standard.
Breakfast was included in my package and The Lazy Cow breakfast could feed a small army and was delicious.
I cannot speak highly enough about this gem of a find, I enjoyed every moment in Salisbury and in The Lazy Cow. If you want a few days relaxing break in a quality, quirky and friendly hotel I would totally recommend a visit.
10/10 I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2012