“Good fun and great food”
Review of The Chapter House

The Chapter House
Ranked #5 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good fun and great food”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The place is quirky in a good way - rooms are small but different. The staff were friendly and the location in town is perfect. My room was full of logs and antlers. They have Tea pigs drinks and the best biggest white bath towels ever.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Really really nice room - excellent size and fabulous facilities but it was freezing cold and the radiator was not working. In fact one of the staff came into my room looking for a heater !!
In the morning I waited almost an hour for a simple cooked breakfast and in the end I just checked out without eating breakfast; I simply couldnt wait any longer !! This is a pity because this could be a fabulous place to stay and the staff are really helpful but but attention is needed to put right these simple but very very important issues.

Room Tip: Make sure if you stay here that the room is actually heated. Be aware that you may have a very long...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed for two nights at the Lazy Cow in June. We stayed in one of the black and gold rooms and it was great. From the moment you walk in through the ‘astro turf’ grass covered entranced you are blown away. The hotel is really old and has maintained plenty of period features. The stairs are old and bendy but the rooms are really modern and fun. There are lovely toiletries provided plus tea pigs and a coffee machine which my boyfriend loved!!!

The hotel has a steak restaurant, we ate here one night and the food was ok but very expensive. The steak was not amazing, in fact it was slightly cold and seemed over priced.

On the plus side we also tried plenty of their cocktails and these were lovely! Apart from the unusual, quirky charm of the hotel the other reason I booked this was due to its proximity to Longleat Zoo. Just half an hour drive away so that was super handy!

On the whole a really great little gem of a hotel. The only reason I’m not giving it five stars is the expensive food menu but on the whole it was a great experience! Would definitely go back! Plus Salisbury is a lovely place to visit!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Came here for a Sunday lunch, and was both pleasantly surprised and disappointed. The selection of steak on offer was excellent, but the options of 'not steak' were limited and unappetising.

We ordered one steak and a beef stirfry. The presentation was original- a hot plate brought out and the steak served onto your plate from a hot skillet along with the accompaniments, and the stir fry served in a take away box as seen in New York take sways. It did mean you had to wait for the steak to be put on your paktw in front of you- ok I suppose for two, bur I can imagine slow and difficult for a larger group.

The steak was cooked beautifully, and the chips looked delicious, but the other side dishes, a little lambs lettuce and a very small and cold corn on the cob were not really adequate and dissapointed. The stir fry was in a lovely sauce, but there was far too much of it in the bottom of the box that it was more like soup. The menu promised it was served with fresh sautéed vegetables, but this seemed to consist a few measly peppers, and not the array of mushrooms, beans and peas as traditional with a stir fry.

The service was good and the decor lovely. The offer of potentially good steak will probably draw us back but my expectations will be much lower

• Stayed September 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed on Sunday night with my wife, the room was great, stylish but not in your face, lovely bath robes.
I had a steak for breakfast, it was gorgeous and perfectly cooked.

The staff we met were all great, it appeared as though nothing would have been too much trouble, but as we wanted for nothing we didn't get to find out! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were charged £60 for a shared steak on the bone. It was worth £30, and that's still being generous. Meat was average and arrived cold and unappetising. I hold the management responsible. Staff need to have proper training and you need a reality check on what is value for money. We will not be eating there again nor recommend it to friends. Up your game!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Morgan E
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have visited the lazy cow for my wedding anniversary for the past 2 years. We came back because the first weekend was amazing. After telling all our family and friends we did wonder if the hotel and staff could match our first year stay, and they did excelling themselves again. We asked for the same (black and gold) room and that was not a problem. The staff cannot do enough for you, and to top it off they have a fantastic steak restaurant downstairs which I am impressed with every time I dine there. I will be booking again soon just not sure if I can wait until my next anniversary!

Room Tip: We love the black and gold room 9 I believe.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple