“What a nice break away”

The Chapter House
Ranked #5 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
“What a nice break away”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Wanted to see Stonehenge and came across the Lazy Cow as a place to stay the night, the rooms are fab, quirky and fun. The complimentary Cow wine, tea pig tea and nespresso coffee maker along with The White Company amenities give it a very upmarket feel and the cow decoration was awesome and well done.

The rooms are a little noisy but this is due to the layout of the old building - Breakfast was served promptly and suits two hearth eaters! We would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Reviewed February 4, 2012

A friend and I booked a weekend away for some relaxation and a night on the town. When we arrived we were very impressed with the room, it was beautifully decorated and luxurious. The complimentary bottle of wine and coffee machine were a lovely touch, however the coffee machine didn't work. We were very excited by the huge rain shower as it looked great but in reality it was very disappointing, cold and breezy. We ended up having to have baths. The walls of the room are paper thin and you can hear your neighbouring rooms. The noise outside the room persisted until after 1:30am which is fine if you are out and about but not if you fancy a quiet night in. The restaurant was over priced, limited menu, no atmosphere and freezing, many guest sat in their coats. I had the steak which I wasn't aware came with anything as it did not state it, so I ordered a side of chips to accompany it, when it arrived I was given two portions of chips the waitress didn't think to advise me that my dish already came with chips so I had to send some back. The following day we ventured out to check out the sights, when we returned our room had not been touched. We were told we should have left our keys at reception before leaving but we were not informed of this. We then had to wait in the bar whilst they cleaned our room. They did offer us a glass of wine and apologised for not informing us and went to sort out our room. Half an hour later we informed that the room was ready. When we returned to the room they had not replenished our tea, cups or wine glasses and the room was freezing. We had half a bottle of wine left which they took away! I tried calling down to the reception but no one answered, I then tried calling the bar, still no one answered. I then resorted to looking up the hotel telephone number on my mobile and calling them directly, they finally answered! I was not amused, it was supposed to be a real treat and break away which has been ruined by the lack of attention to detail and consideration by the staff and noisy room. I certainly won't be staying here again, throughly disappointed. :(

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laura F
UK
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in January 2012.
Car park shared with the White Hart so only a short walk to the front door.
I think everyone has managed to sum this place up as different and quirky and that is what I will stick with.
Was shown to my room (9) large bed and massive bathroom compared to the Novotel I had just left in Greenwich. Lots of storage and hanging space which I liked as I don’t living out of a suitcase. Unpacked and went for a walk around town. You are in the middle of everything so really good.
Back for a meal in the restaurant, steak but cant remember which one I had but good quality and tasty.
Service for breakfast both mornings was very slow, but when it arrived was hot and again good quality.
The perks in the room were a nice touch but for the big question would I stay here again, absolutely.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Recently had an overnight stay here with my daughter and we both adored it for its quirkiness. The swag bag in the bathroom for free toiletries and a bottle of wine was an excellent idea. We stayed in room five which was extremely large and very comfortable. Had both lunch and dinner at the hotel and it was very well presented and delicious. Special thanks to Aaron who was always there for us. The two for one cocktails along with a brilliant singer made for a wonderful evening. We would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Room five is extremely large and comfortable but does face the road, so a little bit noisy. Lovely...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank aphrodite013
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Stayed for one night - lovely big room that was very clean. We could hear the music from the bar below but it stopped by 11.30pm.
Ate in the restaurant and had no complaints about the food just the service. Ordered drinks first, my husband received his but i did not. Main course was served without the side orders and by the time they were delivered i had almst finished my dinner.
Lovely place and food but do need better waiting staff - other tables were having similar problems.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank berks5
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Although only visited for some drinks and a meal we were so happy overall we will definately be going back! The food was absolutely fantastic, the staff very friendly and attentive. The place itself was gorgeously decorated, quirky, sophisticated and clean!

• Stayed January 2012
South Wales
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights in November, it promised so much, but delivered very little. The room was small and decorated like my log-store, with real dust on the logs for effect! The bed was good and comfortable though, and was made-up with crisp and clean sheets/duvet, and the nespresso coffee machine and bottle of plonk on arrival was a nice touch too.
The location is also good for sightseeing, but the parking is a nightmare and an additional cost which is not disclosed on booking. The hotel does not have a car-park, but relies on the adjacent hotels car park, which was full on one of the nights we stayed, and I couldn't park at all, and I was blocked in on another occasion and had to abandon my vehicle for a couple of hours until the offending car was eventually moved.

In agreement with other disappointed guests comments, I think the biggest, and most expensive let-down was the restaurant, it's only a steakhouse after all, but although they boast of the best steaks available, we were very disappointed in both the quality of the meat and the cooking. I've had a lot better for considerably less than £28/steak in many a country pub! The bill of £90 for two steaks, two starters and 2 beers left us with indigestion too. The table service was also less than pleasant by a surly antipodean girl who appeared not to really care whether she served us or not, we had the impression that she would have been happier elsewhere....so would we as it turned out! Needless to say, we didn't dine there again during our stay and took our business elsewhere. We love Salisbury, but we won't be going back to The Lazy Cow....Mooooooooooooooooooooo!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple