“Best carvery in town & great value for money”
Review of The Cloisters

The Cloisters
Ranked #15 of 270 Restaurants in Salisbury
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Best carvery in town & great value for money”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have been going to The Cloisters Carvery for the past 4years and its always just amazing you have to get there early cause sometimes at 12 before opening there is people waiting outside , which on occasion I was one of those ppl :) keep it up and ignore the negative feed back you are the best in town !!

Love Claire

UK
“An absolute dump!!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Second attempt to have a carvery there on a Sunday. First time amounted to false advertising as the carvery had run out of food.

The second attempt was shocking:

The manager was virtually doing a headcount to see if there was enough food.

As I refused to stand in a queue that with no guarantee of getting any food from the carvery at the end, I went to the bar and planned to order myself a lamb shank. The bar service was VERY slow.

Unfortunately after waiting 10 minutes, I lost my place as I had to quickly return to my table (fellow diners still in the queue for the carvery!!!!!).

The reason I had to return to the table was a man had wandered in off the streets and was at our table. He appeared to be on the point of starting to thieve!!!

I walked out - what a dive.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jen509
Salisbury
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad service and shortage of food”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked a table for 10 for sunday lunch. We ordered 2 meals from the menu and were told that just before they were ready, we would be told so the others could get to the carvery so we could all eat at the same time. After 45 minutes the menu meals arrived followed 5 minutes later by the side orders, but no one had told us they were on the way so everyone then quickly went off to the carvery. There was a queue so the other 2 started to eat otherwise their meal would have gone cold. The carvery only had pork left at 1.30 out of the 3 choices. The chef offered to cook some chicken for 3 of our party and a number of other disgruntled customers which meant another delay. There is no system in place to monitor how many carvery tickets are being sold and how much food is left. After 3 different sittings for the 8 meals our plates were cleared away. After 20 minutes no one had asked us if we would like desserts or coffees so we went to the bar and disturbed the staff to ask for coffees. If they had been half way efficient and bought the dessert menus over we would have ordered 4 or 5
The bill was just short of £100. If the service had been decent we would have added desserts- another £20/£25 for them - and a tip. As it was, we had coffees and asked for a discount as the service was so disappointing and paid £80 and wont be returning.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank cee J
West Wales
“Such a brilliant place”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great pub food, or even just for meeting a friend or group. Great wine selection too. Have eaten often, plenty of choice. ?Friendly staff and very accomodating

Visited December 2012
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Very satisfying”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I were staying in Salisbury for a couple of days, post Christmas break. Next door to the hotel was The Cloisters which was appealing on the outside and warm & welcoming inside. My wife ordered a coffee and I had a pint of bitter. The only reason that I did not mark a 5* was that the beer was rather pricey at £3.90 for a pint.

We decided to stay for a meal and portions were fantastic such that I could not manage a dessert after only a main course (full rack of ribs, chips and homemade coleslaw), most unusual not to be able to finish with pudding but I was full. My wife had a soup starter (homemade and delicious) plus a lamb shank. chips and vegetables which she said was delicious. Great food, charming staff, pricey drinks but a very nice meal all the same.

• Visited January 2013