“Must Try this”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Must Try this”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Service and ambiance are great as was is the food - not to be missed. We have eaten here many many times over the past eight years and enjoy going back. Meat is excellent and local. If your are really hungry try the Mixed Grill

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Landford

portsmouth
“Lovely Place For Lunch! and Staff!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Me and my girlfriend had our very first date here some two and half years ago and we have been going back regularly! the food is homemade and very tasty! nice big portions which is great for me! haha, its definatly a lovely freindly pub and the owners are delightful ( which is why i am surprised at a few reviews on here saying that some of the staff where rude!) they always reconise us and say hello with a nice big smile! - its a REAL english pub with great REAL english food! definatly worth a trip there as its really lovely!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank NandD236
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“I speak as I find.”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We have eaten here on a few occasions. It is set in the hamlet (I think it's too small to call a village) of Nomansland in the New Forest. Our first encounter was many years ago when what is now the restaurant was used as a substitute pavilion for the local cricket team whose ground is just across the road. Somewhere along the way the owners converted the room into a restaurant.

I see that some folk have criticised the locals at the bar and the Manager but I must speak as I find and say we have not encountered the situations they describe. OK, you do enter through the bar area and folk do look at you as you pass through but I would say that would be no different from anywhere else. Also, the Manager is referred to as 'he' but to the best of my knowledge and certainly on every visit we have made it has been a lady in charge who has always been polite and helpful.

The restaurant is quite small and certain tables are a lilttle hemmed in but this is not a major problem. They operate a two sitting system at 6.30 and 8.30 which I recognise could be a bit frustrating if you want a leisurely evening out but so far it has not proved to be a nuisance to us. They do not expect you to strictly adhere to the 6.30 start so long as your table is free for the next occupants. You can always move into the bar if you want to prolong your evening but it must be said the bar area is more 'working mens pub' than wine bar and wouldn't appeal to me.

Now to the food. It is very good pub grub with a menu that has a good mix of traditional and 'foreign' dishes. On our last visit between the four of us we had prawn cocktails and home-made pate for starters and gammon steak, chicken with leeks and lasagne for the mains. Portions are very generous - the largest chicken breast I had ever seen and the lasagne would have been enough for two! What's more home-made here means exactly that!

To sum up if you want a good meal at a good price then the Lamb is certainly worth a visit.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“No problems and excellent service”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The standard of food and ambience is consistent in good quality. Tim as always very helpful and Lee the manager always very obliging. As the pub is small, it is best to consider either booking a table in advance of to take a chance in waiting for a table to come available. The larger the group, the less chance chance in getting a table.

1 Thank Hungry-Thirsty69
Hampshire
“Lovely position, good food but poor service”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

A friend & I ate mid week at lunch time. We hadn't even sat down when we were rudely beckoned to the serving area and asked what we wanted. We were then told if there're was only two of us then we HAD to sit at a table for two only (despite not being full, towards the end of lunchtime & very close to another dining couple). Then told we would have to move to the bar area if we only wanted a snack lunch. We both wanted to eat from differnet menus but had to change as we would have had to eat separately!!! Not so annoyed by what he said abouy seating but how he said it. Felt we were herded like one of the Forest animals outside. A truly arrogant man (not the owner), with no customer service skills whatsoever. On top of this is the interoor is dated. The log fire was nice. Whilst the barman was not rude, he was certainly not welcoming. Such a shame as it is a local pub for us now and such a lovely position. I think they need to buck up their ideas and emloly friendlier staff. Les Mirabelles, the French restaurant next door whilst more expensive, offers a much better experience.

2 Thank Snowy41