“It was good so I will be really picky.....”

Grasmere House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I didn't eat there, other than breakfast (which was great), so can't comment on the restaurant. The location by the river in sight of the cathedral is lovely, the room was lovely and I was surprised with a four poster bed which was very comfortable.

On the neg side - I was not impressed in being charged £7+ for a large whisky and dry ginger - that's a 500% mark up and the most expensive I have had this year. And.....well I don't quite know how to express this but the carpet made the place look really old fashioned.

But I'd go back for sure but avoid the bar.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank RichCotswoldChap
There are newer reviews for Grasmere House Hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Reception and service are very friendly, although not all members of the staff speak fluent English, so there is the odd misunderstanding. But that's also part of the charm.
The room was adequate, but some things need fixing, the bathroom lock being the most important one. It's clean enough and staff is always willing to do an extra mile.
It's family-friendly as well, with a good choice in breakfast. The breakfast room is a bit on the small side.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike E
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Or me to be honest – Room 12 – big and roadside, although road noise did not keep us awake, despite window open. However, the carpet is threadbare and the furniture is old, but not in a good way, like antique, just tired, battered and dated. Bathroom decent size but grout around shower all stained and as for under sink rim – absolutely disgusting! To be really frank, the plumbing is in need of a bit of repair; the sink didn’t drain, nor did the shower water and the toilet took more than one attempt to flush. The bed was comfortable enough and big but the pillows were unbelievable – I didn’t even know you could get them that small, thin and uncomfortable.

Leaving the room aside, the breakfast was a C – a B minus at best – the bare minimum you could get away with.

I like to leave on a high; the hotel looks good from outside and has plenty of off road parking. Its single best point is its location - in nice grounds overlooking cathedral and only a 15 min into Salisbury centre.

Really sorry to give negative feedback, but this cost £124.50

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper or like a view ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HappySUPPER
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Looks good from outside, with plenty of off road parking. Reception very accommodating and go out of their way to help you. Our superior double room was light and airy but like the rest of the hotel, looked tired and in need of some care and a bit of modernisation, even the hotel guide in the room itself. Did not eat in the hotel, apart from breakfast, which was nothing special, with standard breakfast fare, not cooked particularly well - e.g. eggs solid, bacon a tad grey!
In summary, the staff do their best with mediocre facilities.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room if you can before booking - not always practical i know!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Paul A
Reviewed August 2, 2014

To be frank, this was appalling ... Room 5 .. Probably the worst hotel room I've stayed in recently. Furniture, tired, battered and in need of repair or replacement. The upholstered chair at my desk, was thread-bear, my wooden tv stand had been in the wars and was looking like a cast-off from the second hand shop. The bathroom was tiny, just a shower basin and toilet, with a sliding door. There were a number of cracked tiles, the plastic shelf above the basin was hanging off the wall and was unusable, and the toilet took three attempts to flush.
Some of the staff seemed very good, the guy who came to clean my room was very friendly and professional. Unfortunately, some staff were less impressive. When I checked-in I waited at the desk, while a number of the staff talked amongst themselves, and one was just standing there at the desk reading the paper (maybe they need a staff room?).. Anyway the initial impression was bad and the room very poor... £90 B&B per night? Not good value.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TimW1000
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I booked two rooms as a late decision for the last day of our holiday. Unusually I didn't read the reviews before I booked - I'm glad now that I didn't because there are quite a few negative reviews that might have put me off. It was relatively easy to find, attractive displays of flowers at the front and decent car park. Nice welcome at reception and we went up to our rooms. The furnishing is if you like old - fashioned but that is because it is furnished in the Victorian style. The rooms were adequate size - we were two singles in the smaller double rooms. The ensuites were fairly small but again fine for what we wanted. We chose to eat in the hotel as had been travelling around quite a lot. We just had the main course but they were both absolutely delicious. The restaurant was in a conservatory with a lovely view down to the river and we were served promptly even though I think we went down to dinner a few minutes early according to the times given. Given the extremely hot weather I had both of my windows open and being on the road I was a little concerned about noise from the road and car park but by the time I was ready for bed there wasn't anything that would disturb my night's sleep in the very comfortable bed. The TV worked fine and was easy to see from the bed. We left after a good breakfast and were checked out very efficiently. All in all it was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: To avoid any road noise I would choose rooms at the back of the hotel. If I was sharing a room I wou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on business. I have stayed in loads of hotels in the last 4 months, so know what to expect.
Read about this one after it had been hooked for me by my company, so did not have much choice were to stay.
On arrival, met by two very pleasant young ladies, who were very professional. I was booked into room 9, which on previous reviews said the room smelt. It still does. I asked to me moved the second night, I was now in room 13. Although decorated exactly the same, it was a completely different room, it was a lot cleaner for a start and did not smell. ( management, please take note, sort the mouldy smell out). The beds are big and very very comfy. I feel sorry for the disabled as they would have no choice in moving rooms!.
The conservatory were dinner and breakfast is served could do with a damn good clean. The windows have not been cleaned since Adam was a lad! The roof blinds need taking down and emptying from dead flies and debris, the roof lights need de greasing and the window frames need a good clean aswell.
On the upside, they must be doing something right as it was obvious that they get a lot of repeat business.
The food on the bar snack menu was better than the dinner menu and half the price. One of the best curries I have had.
Once you look past the mucky veneer, it is a very nice place to stay.
Would I stay again, probs not unless they cleaned the public areas, and sorted a few problems out in the bedrooms.
Thanks