“Great stay”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

All the better for not being situated in the city centre, this is a most charming hotel, blessed with great views over the water meadows and back to the towering spire of Salisbury Cathedral.
Reception were exceptionally helpful, and when we found our room it was warm and sunny with that great view. Our bathroom was modern, clean and spacious - reflecting when this Victorian hotel was built. The 4 poster hinted at even earlier times.We had a very comfortable room although the furniture and carpet looked a little aged.
We ate in the restaurant both nights we stayed, and glad we did so; particularly good fish (turbot), and I had succulent partridge.
This is a well organised hotel, with beautiful gardens that lead down to the river Nadder with swans, geese, and mallards enjoying the fast flowing chalk river. It was a view that we never got tired of., and even in a cold wet March the flower gardens and flower beds were dazzling.
Lovely weekend despite the rain; thanks especially to the staff who made it so.

Room Tip: Pay just a little more and bag yourselves a room with a tester (four poster bed), and a great view...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights in room 9, which has a wet room for use by disabled residents. My wife is in a wheelchair and the room was just big enough to enable access. The wet room and the shower are excellent, ideal for my wife. Superb view from the ground floor room across the flood plain of the river Nadder to the Cathderal. Breakfast was excellent and all of the hotel and dining staff were very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to any disabled person.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night recently on a business trip and attended a conference there the next day.
Firstly the receptionist was so lovely and attentive and made us feel really welcome.
My room was even better I had a four poster bed a large TV and beautiful views of the river and cathedral. I had the best nights sleep ever!
As a vegetarian I am usually very fussy when it comes to food but the breakfast was great there was cereals, yoghurt, pastries and cooked English it was great and everyone was very helpful!
The owner of the hotel was very welcoming as well and had a lovely dog called Sasha who was very friendly.
I rate this quaint hotel very highly for a weekend break and as a venue!
Would definitely stay again :)

Room Tip: Chose a room with a four poster bed! They were lovely!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Oakham
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My sister and I stayed at the Grasmere House Hotel in November. The room (8) we were first allocated was truly awful, bathroom had paint peeling off bath panel, ancient calcium-encrusted shower head, and whole room smelled appalling. Rest of room also disgraceful (supposed to be 'superior room') with torn lampshade, hole in armchair, glass shade mended with sticky tape etc.. After complaining the next morning we were moved to room 15, slightly better but towels were stained with large yellow marks. In both rooms hangers were broken, no basin or bath plugs were attached. I would love to know how this hotel gained its stars because it's a disgrace. We spoke to the manager and he apologised but we were not convinced he was particularly bothered.
I felt sorry for the lovely staff who bear the brunt of complaints.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Catherine M

Travelers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

london
Reviewed March 8, 2014

A very accomodating hotel which has pleasant and always helpfull staff.
My stay was midweek and I was treated very well, the staff could not do enough for me and the food was excellent and varied with the kitchen accomodating my dietary requirements.

My trip was for business but due to its quiet location with a great view of the cathedral out of my room and the short walk (under 10 mins) to the centre of town I will be coming back for a break with my partner.

Value for money highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Its been a long time since I've experienced such friendly, attentive staff at a Hotel. Ringing and booking was always easy and they answered the phone personally! We had a fantastic room with views of the catherdral and recent floods..... evening food was great and very well presented. If you're looking for a quirky place to stay with lovely atmosphere then this is for you. When we stayed it was raining and cold but I can imagine it is fantastic in the warmer months. I stayed for my birthday and when we came back in (late from the pubs) and asked for some champagne flutes for more fizz - (didnt really need it but you know how it is) the guy on reception got us an ice bucket with ice and put strawberries in the flutes - now that is what I call effort - specially as it was nearly mignight! It is an ideal level walk into the City centre and I'm re-booked already to go back and go into the City to eat at the superb La Molina - tapas bar we found - for lunch. Loved my stay - really loved the staff, loved the very very comfortable bed and I loved the place - it is a real gem of a find. Just to mention we went to a 5 * hotel the following night and it in no way compared to my stay here.

Room Tip: Room 22 and 23 have a private (but shared) patio and view of Catherdral. Beds are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DWinslet
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

wouldn't even know it was there unless I was told about it..
Hidden away just off a main road and what a gem of a find !!!

there was 15 of us and the 4 course meal was amazing and very reasonably priced and served in a very professional manner and was something you would expect to cost double the price.

Rooms were very big and spacious and clean and large bathroom as well.

Views were amazing from the rear even though there was flooding there was no risk of this hotel being under threat as this made the view better in my opinion and Salisbury cathedral In the background make for spectacular views at night when lit up.

Owner and staff always on hand for anything we needed but never in the way

Would stay here again in a heart beat as this place doesn't try to be flash as it not like most hotels, or chain hotels as it has a personal touch to it..

This would be a amazing place in the summer when warmer to sit out at night and watch the sun set and cathedral light up and swans swimming around..

10/10 from me

Room Tip: 1 that looks over the river..just ask staff when booking for a rear facing room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends