“Very Disappointing!!!!!”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing!!!!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to a nice romantic weekend away for our wedding Anniversary, so when we saw the romantic weekend break on the website it looked like a done deal. How wrong we were !!!!! from the outside it matched the pictures on the website, the inside is tired and worn. The two reception staff were less than receptive, as they were busy getting ready for the evenings wedding. The room was clean, spacious and well equipped, the chocolates were there and we thought okay, things are looking up. (had to ask for a hairdryer)
After a walk round the town we returned to the hotel, changed for dinner and went down to the bar for a pre-dinner drink, we were met by a bar covered in dirty glasses, tables covered from front to back and side to side with dirty glasses. I felt sorry for the barman as it looked a bit of a daunting task ahead of him. We ordered dinner and selected from the wine list.
the starters were well presented and to a good standard, they explained that they didn't have the wine we had ordered so we selected again, and then again and again until we chose one that they did have. Then the Disco kicked in, in the conservatory attached to the dinning room. We had to shout to each other across the table from this point onward, The Main course was again well presented, but very very over cooked, the veg was soggy and on a par with nursing home food. We took cheese and biscuits and coffee in our room as the swearing in the rap music was not what I would normally choose to accompany a romantic meal. I had to return back downstairs to the restaurant to get knives, biscuits and butter to go with the cheese. the manager was disappointed with my opinion of dinner and was full of apology as he himself had taken the order. He did buy us both a drink to say sorry for this which was very good of him.
when the disco ended the guests sat talking into the night outside our window.
The first staff member in the following morning was moving heavy metal furniture around at 7 am followed shortly afterwards by the maid hoovering the corridors.
We went down and joined the queue for a table for breakfast, we were offered a four with the couple next to us as this was all that was available, we declined and offered to wait for a table of our own " not to much to ask on a romantic break" but from the huff and exasperated response from the gentleman in charge I might as well have just asked him to gather ice for my drink from the south pole by hand.
The young lady on reception was not overly concerned about my response to "did you have a nice stay"? as she offered me the bill as if I had been more than happy, I guess that she must experience this a lot!!

Will we be returning again ?

ITS A NO FROM ME !!!!!

4 Thank Lyndsey A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Fremont, California
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is the quaintest hotel ever. The rooms are comfortable and the beds feel like home. The view of the lake and gardens from the patio is awesome, a pleasure to wake up to. We had a couple of dinners and breakfasts during our stay and the food was fabulous! Everything was fresh and exquisitely prepared. Very close to town and the staff was friendly, attentive and fun!
This should be a definite stop for everyone visiting the area. I am sure to be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lytchett Matravers, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Alhtough the decor in both the public areas and the rooms are very much outdated this added to the experience rather than detract. The room we had was spacious, clean and well maintained.

The staff were courteous without being particularly friendly or welcoming - so some work needed there.

We had a great view from our bedroom window across greenland and nearly managed to see the spire of the cathedral.

There was a wedding party the evening we stayed - which were noisy but it all seemed to switch off at a reasonable time.

We would stay again.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I have just held our wedding at the Grasmere. The staff are totally dedicated to all their guests, be they 1 or 90 years old! The level of service was exceptional, from the management team all the way down to the cleaners via the bar, kitchen, waiting and reception. All our guests thoroughly enjoyed their stay. Food was of the highest standard. we will be back!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Fiona B
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Having enjoyed my stay recently during the dorset fair , I returned one evening to the hotel with the face burning off me from the sun . On approaching the reception the manager noticed I was suffering ,and when I expressed a wish to get after sun he immediately offered and then drove me into sailsbury to purchase it . Now need I say anymore about the calibre of people running this hotel. Boy was I impressed .

Room Tip: all rooms are quite as hotel is deep into its own gardens well off the road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel has a really pretty setting along the Nadder River, near the confluence with the Avon. The rooms vary because it's an older building, but ours was spacious and nicely furnished. We couldn't have been more pleased. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Didn't have dinner there, but the breakfast spread was ample and tasty. A great experience and a good stay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Staying at this hotel is a wonderful experience. The room was large, beautifully furnished with its own patio that lead to the large garden that leads down to the river. Everything about the room expressed quality. The bathroom was large, the shower powerful, Internet was fast and free, large TV with satellite channels, a comfortable seating area, a work area and a large, comfortable bed.

The full breakfast buffet was extensive and the food was good. The staff were helpful whenever we had questions.

I would recommend the Grasmere House hotel for all travelers (romantic, business, family or solo).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family