“First visit and for one night, not likely to return.”

Best Western Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Delightful appearance, with plenty of old world charm and autumnal colours. Car parking expensive at £15 and although I knew there was a charge, I thought £15 was very high. However, a helpful person took my suitcase up to my second floor room. I agree with previous comments that the room was warm and due to traffic noise, windows couldn't be left open. I needn't have worried about the noise though as shortly after 12.15am for over half an hour, the fire alarm sounded, due apparently to an intermittent fault. Consequently, in the morning, feeling very tired after a rubbish sleep, I looked forward to a shower. Disappointment followed as the pressure was so weak that I couldn't shower let alone wash my hair. The towel to dry off was like a sandpaper board.
Relieved I was only there for one night, and vowing to stay elsewhere when I next visited the area, I checked out. The receptionist asked if everything had been okay for my stay. Imagine my surprise. NO apology for the disturbance so I asked about the alarms. Only then was a half hearted apology forthcoming, telling me they thought there had been a fault. My suggestion that they consider greeting guests with an apology instead of waiting to see if anyone mentioned the alarm disturbance was something they clearly hadn't considered. When I explained about the weak shower and rough towels and that I wouldn't be returning, there was an apology, but I had the clear impression that they didn't particularly care and it would be my loss.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Elliep57
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Dear Guest

I was sorry to read your comments on the hotel after your visit and I am even more sorry that you say it will be your only visit to the Red Lion.

I apologise that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectation, but hope you will reconsider and rebook so we can show you that we can get things right and exceed guests expectations.

If you do reconsider which I hope you will, please contact me personally and i will look after your booking personally. I will be pleased to offer you a complimentary stay subject to availability

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here the evening after our wedding reception (held just outside Salisbury) and several of our guests also stayed, in total we had about 12 rooms. The rooms themselves were lovely, however service was slow and not good considering how much had been pre-arranged with the hotel. We had agreed in writing to have some tables reserved for breakfast so we could eat together as a large group but this was not done, and breakfast service was very slow with orders being wrong when they eventually arrived. Arriving at midnight (as pre-arranged) in my wedding dress the reception staff offered no sign of congratulations and even asked who we were, despite being booked into the bridal suite!

Some of our guests were staying an extra night (and had paid and agreed this in advance) yet their rooms were entered by housekeeping who thought all guests were leaving at the same time. Another couple arrived after the wedding reception and were given keys to 2 incorrect rooms before they finally got into their own, which could have been embarrassing had luckily the occupants of the other rooms were not in bed.

Some guests tried to pre-book parking spaces (we knew there was a charge) but were told it was not possible, yet overheard other customers booking parking spaces at reception on the same day.

The standard of the rooms was good, but for the price we would have hoped for a mini-bar or bottled water as the bathroom water was not drinkable. Again, for the price of the room a shame that the hairdryer was a fixed unit which was hard to use in front of a mirror.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Newlyweds,

Congratulations.

I was disappointed to read your review on the hotel and that on this occasion failed to deliver your requests as agreed.

I would like to prove to you that this was a plip and that the hotel as in other reviews can give first class service. I would like to offer to accommodate you for your fist anniversary at the hotel complimentary. If you wish to take this offer up please contact me directly at the hotel.

I apologise that this visit on such a happy occasion was not to your satisfaction

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here through a KGB voucher deal. We had a 2 night stay incl B&B and dinner on the first night. Our room was great but a little hot (had to have the window open all night), the restaurant and bar areas were lovely. Food was excellent and the staff were great. Would highly recommend a visit!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Charlie

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw your visit on the KGB offer.

I will pass on your kind comments to the staff and hope you visit the hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel many, many times, and have always found it to be of good quality, and friendly staff.

However, today, we tried to make a booking for December, only to be told the management policy has changed, and we were now to be charged extra for breakfast, and worse still, for parking our car in the disabled slot. They wanted an extra £15 for the parking place. I find this very distasteful that they are charging people to park there.

As I mentioned before, in the many times we have stayed there in the past, we have always parked our car there in the disabled slot free of charge, as well as never paying extra for breakfasts.

Bad move Best Western, you have definitely lost our business for good, as we have located a lovely sounding B&B in the area, who are a lot cheaper, no extra charges for breakfast or parking, and will even arrange to ensure we have space near to the door for our car.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Helena

I believe you spoke to our Sales Manager at the hotel. I believe you wanted Boxing day lunch which we dont do at the hotel, but were informed we charge an additional 5.00 on the rate if a guests wishes to upgrade to brunch which is served till 2pm.

Our private enclosed parking area at the hotel is charged at 15.00 per night and is very popular with staying guests at the hotel.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I am a repeat customer here, and by that I mean for over ten years. Usually with a client or two.
The location is great, halfway between the cathedral and the town centre.
The building has lots of character. The staff are generally helpful.

However;
This time there were problems which started with the phone booking. Details were lost due to a new computer system apparently. They were supposed to have been replaced, but the booking was still wrong on arrival, down to one night instead of five. This was fixed, but the important requests for my client were lost or overlooked. The room should have been lift accesible with no steps. In the twisting maze of different levels, her room access was inconvenient to say the least. Plus the fact that the lift was not working about a third of the time during our stay.
On arrival I was misinformed about parking by reception and wasted an hour circling the fiendish one-way system three times before going to my usual place which, contrary to what I had been told, was happy to accept me.
Lunch in the bar was spoiled by an obnoxious local making insulting comments about Americans within hearing of my friend. We had words, but the staff seemed to feel this was none of their business although he was obviously a regular annoying hotel guests.
The cooked breakfast on the first morning wasn't.
Nearly raw bacon and sausage, pretty unpleasant. By this time I was ready to find different accommodation. But my client was prepared to stick it out, and on the other days the breakfast improved, the staff tried to be helpful and I left after five nights irritated but not furious.

Will I be back?
As I said, I have been staying here for years whenever I visit Salisbury, I have tried other places in town, but for all the reasons at the top, keep returning here. So yes I shall be back and hope I can write a better review next time.

William.

Room Tip: Lovely historic building, this does mean that if you have any mobility problems do check with reserv...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lingwood-Watts
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Even though the day went well and the staff were polite and helpful they did not fulfil all their pre booking promises. Having said that a good time was had by all.

Access through the function area was promised to be exclusive but strangers walked through several times. The staff were stretched due to other functions.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had originally booked at the Cathedral Hotel, but noting I was a senior lady travelling alone, advised me they were on the "nightclub circuit" and thought I might like to consider somewhere quieter - which is when I discovered the Red Lion. I explained my circumstances and a lovely lady said she had just the room for me at the Red Lion, at the rear, overlooking a small disabled car park. It was wonderful to arrive, having been apprehensive of the creaky old small-bedroomed hotels from my past knowledge, to find such a beautiful old building, just oozing history. Only problem on check-in was that the room selected for me was not quite ready, so I said I'd wait in the coffee lounge - unfortunately, about 45 minutes later when I went to check on my room, the receptionist apologised that she'd forgotten all about me! Despite that, the room was decorated elegantly with class and a most modern bathroom - one of the nicest rooms I've ever had in similar establishments. The hotel was one street away from the market square and about 5 -10 minutes walk to the Cathedral along a picturesque canalway. I never heard any noise from revellers at all during my stay - although it surprised me when I found out that the Cathedral Hotel was directly opposite! The only scary thing was the lift, which when the heavy steel doors slammed shut, made you feel like you were in a bank vault, hoping the doors would open at ground level! I would recommend to any lover of historical buildings.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank eillamo
stuartearp, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your visit. I will pass on you comments to the staff and we hope to see you again soon.