“We wouldn't stay there again!”

Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Semington, United Kingdom
“We wouldn't stay there again!”
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in this hotel, we were there for a wedding reception. I originally enquired about a room by email and was given a 'discounted' rate for wedding guests of £65 per night, I then enquired through Legacy Hotels and was given a rate of £60 per night, when I queried this with reception by email, they just told me to book direct with Legacy.

On our arrival, the gentleman on reception was hardly welcoming, more intent on swiping my credit card, even though I had pre-paid for the room. Our room, (No. 6) was in the original part of the hotel and was very small despite being offered as a Deluxe Double, the bed and the pillows were extremely hard, the room was cold, with only one small radiator, there was no heating at all in the bathroom! The temperature fluctuated so much in the shower that it was quite dangerous. Thre was black mildew/mould all around the bathroom window. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first evening and it was very good, the waiter Gill, was exceptionally helpful and friendly throughout our visit, although I have to say he was the only one. Continental breakfast was included in our room rate, but on the first morning my husband also requested poached eggs, he was given two poached eggs on a plate, with nothing else, they weren't even on toast, and for that he was charged £4.95!! In fact there seemed to be many extra charges, such as £3.95 if paying by credit card, £5 extra for breakfast in your room, £5 supplement for room service etc.

On the plus side, the views from the hotel restaurant are superb, and if you are lucky enough to have the right room. There is a free car park, and it is situated in a quiet street, just a short walk from the cathedral and city centre.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Wrexham
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend brake the hotel and our room were very clean the service was excellent and the food was not to be faulted. The service was both freindly and efficient.We stayed in the new wing that has fantastic views of the river and cathederal looking through the watermeadows.The temperature outside was freezing so it was very welcoming to come back to such a warm room! I would certainly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Salisbury.

East Bay, CA
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This hotel was beautiful and lovely but the bed was actually two twin beds pushed together. It was so odd considering it really is a posh hotel. Everything else was perfect.

Surrey
Reviewed January 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Rose & Crown as a mid-term break between Christmas and New Year. We were cordially met and efficiently dealt with at check-in. Our 'oldie worldy' room was immaculate - the odd creaking floorboard being part of the ambiance. The highlight of our stay was the service we received in the restaurant; faultless, friendly and highly professional. I have written to the hotel management praising the quality of the staff in attendance. Check-out was less efficient - the receptionist simply 'doing the job and no more'. The hotel location is fantastic for accessing Salisbury on foot; and is highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evo4x4
Basingstoke
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I booked a weekend away with my partner and did not tick the flexibility payment which is an extra charge which means you can alter your booking. Unfortunately I had to do just that and found that I could only stay one night and not two as I had booked. I appealed to the hotel and to the head office without any joy whatsoever. No-one was prepared to over rule the 'policy'. Consequently I found I had paid for two nights and could only stay one. Some peole may say this was my fault and I should have taken out the additional flexibility insurance. I think personally this is a rip off and unfair on the customer because unforeseen events do happen over which there is no control. Having said all that the hotel themselves were excellent, I receieved an unpgrade on my room and free champers and fruit which was really good of them and much appreciated. The hotel itself is lovely, accommodation is brilliant and food very good. My advice is to bite the bullet and take out the flexibility insurance when you book, it may save you a lot of money in the long run. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Great location, right near the cathedral and only a short walk to the city centre. Hotel is on a quiet street, with dedicated car parking.

Room had wood beams and nice original features. The hotel also provided the usual tea and coffee making bits and bobs, and the usual array of toiletries. However it felt impersonal, and the contemporary furnishings were charmless and incongruous to the original features.

Hotel had a restaurant and the service was polite and prompt at breakfast. The continental breakfast was a bit sparse and the cooked breakfast was filling, but the quality of the food wasn't of a particularly high standard, certainly not worth the price on the menu. The restaurant does has a stunning view of the River Avon, and the staff were keen to seat us at a table with river views. In the summer you can sit on the terrace, however, as it was winter, the terrace was not open.

We did not eat in the restaurant for dinner, as there was a dress code (no jeans, and a jacket required) and, as we were not expecting this, since such a dress code seemed ridiculously out-of-keeping with the nature of the place, my partner did not bring suitable attire. This lost the hotel custom, as we would have rather liked to eat at the hotel restaurant one night - from both curiosity and convenience.

We also visited one of the hotel bars (one is for residents, one open to the public), and again, the service was polite and friendly, and the bar itself had a nice, personal atmosphere; again you are surrounded by original features. However, we could hear music coming from below us in the bar until the bar closed at around 11.30pm, which was somewhat annoying when we needed an early start.

The staff on the reception were also pleasant and always had a smile for us.

Overall, I would say that the location is great, the hotel was clean, and since it has been refurbished in recent years, the fittings are new. However it does not seem to have been refurbished in sympathy with the original features and could benefit from being less like a 'chain' hotel and having a slightly more personal touch.

gibraltar
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We had a wonderful weekend at the L.R.C. Hotel, beautful old room dating from 15th Century, wooden beams etc...pretty river outside restuarant in gardens......Sean the Deputy Manager was on duty at breakfast...great sence of humour.........hope one day whilst in U.K. we'll return

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple