“AVOID THIS HOTEL”

Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I reserved a room at this hotel for the night of 1 September over a month ago as its location was ideal for a nearby wedding I was to attend that day. I even contacted the hotel on 30 August to check this was in order (as I had received no confirmation) and was told it was. At 9.45pm on 31 August I received a call to inform me that, due to "plumbing" problems, I had been relocated to a hotel on the other side of Salisbury. The person I spoke to was aware that I was one of the same wedding party staying there so my getting to and from the wedding would also be disrupted. Strange that the "plumbing" problem was resolved by the following day and the room I should have occupied was given to a guest from the wedding at the Rose and Crown. I have subsequently discovered that exactly the same thing happened to a friend who booked her relatives in for the night of a wedding last year - again "plumbing" was blamed. Despite the inconvenience created at such short notice there was no suggestion by the hotel to make amends in any way. I have made a formal complaint and, a week later, still await a reply.

Avoid this hotel if you want to make sure of you accommodation.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank lisa388

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The receptionist was rude and unhelpful. The decor is dated and tired as are the so called facilities and rooms. Very poor bar with limited and dreary menu. Restaurant booked for a wedding. One bedroom had a shower with a faulty thermostat so could not be used. The second bedroom was on the ground floor overlooking the car park with no lock on the window so the room was not secure. One member of our party was advised at 9.45pm the night before her visit that the plumbing in the room allocated was faulty and she was moved to another hotel with facilities for serving meals. She was directed to a supermarket for a sandwich. No apology! (Probably a lucky escape!). Mediocre breakfast with an additional £5.00 charge for a cooked meal. Cleaning needs attention. Very expensive for the service provided. Far from 4 star standard. The only benefit of this hotel is the convenient location and pleasant view of the river from the terrace.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank CMS31082012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Chose the hotel as it is one of the few in walking distance of the centre of Salisbury with a car park. From this point of view the location of the hotel is excellent and it is a very pleasant 10 minute stroll past the cathedral in to the city centre. Car park is large with plenty of spaces and it is FREE. We arrived early to explore the city and popped to reception to make sure it was ok to leave the car. The girl on reception was really only interested in telling us that we could not check in until 2pm (which we knew anyway) and seemed slightly irritated when I interrupted her conversation with her colleague to ask for a map of the city (at no point did she offer to mark on it where we were or any areas of interest, which is what most hotels would do).
We returned back to check in later and the receptionist had changed (thank goodness) to a lovely lady who was very pleasant and polite. We were checked in very efficiently and made our way to the room, which is where things started to go awry. We found that the room we had been given the key for had not been made up at all (despite the fact that it was after 6pm).
On our return to reception we explained and the receptionist was brilliant, and very apologetic. She checked us in to a nicer, river view room and could not have been better under the circumstances. The room was lovely, very spacious and modern with good amenities. The only problem was the broken shower bracket which made having a shower interesting. It didn't bother us for one night, but was surprising given that it must have been noticed by other staff members when the rooms were being cleaned.
The room overall was clean, tidy and the bed was very comfortable. Would definitely recommend the river front rooms on the ground floor as the patio doors lead straight out in to the garden which is very pretty.
Breakfast was fine. Continental breakfast is included in the price, but you can upgrade to a full breakfast if you wish. The waitress at breakfast time was fine with us, but incredibly rude to another couple sitting close to us, which was again, odd and made us feel slightly uncomfortable. Otherwise the food was fine for a bite to eat before a day's sightseeing. Only thing with the dining room was that it could have done with a really good clean. There were a few cobwebs lurking around and some of the crockery was not as clean as it should be (didn't feel I could ask for a different cup given the waitress's attitude with the other couple) - perhaps it it the end of a busy summer season, but no excuse really.
So, overall, good location, pleasant room, free parking, a few minor errors which were addressed and the oddest of all - staff at two opposite extremes of the customer service spectrum. A bit more attention to detail this hotel could be excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were booked into stay here for a friend's wedding- BIG MISTAKE. There are hundreds of better places to stay in Salisbury so do yourself a favour and avoid this hotel.
We arrived at 1.55pm to check in and had to wait at least 5 minutes before anyone even bothered to come to the reception. Once the surly girl arrived I asked if we could check in- she sighed, looked at the clock (official check in time was in five mins at 2pm) and said 'Yes I suppose so".
Good start.
They then realised that they had misplaced my booking, even though I had a confirmation email to hand with all correct details. NO apology was given. A lot of huffing and puffing ensued, as they realised that not only had they missed my booking, but they had no rooms left to accomodate us. STILL NO APOLOGY.
The service is just dismal- in the end they found us another place to stay but no offer of taking our bags there, or a sorry for the inconvenience, oh no- none of it. They reluctantly leant me a room to get changed in and upon viewing it I was pleased we weren't able to stay there after all.
Please please don't spend your money on this place- the service alone is enough to put you off. They do not deserve to be running this hotel and my complaint will be made formally, as I was not even offered a reimbursement for all the inconvenience caused, which frankly ruined what should have been a brilliant weekend with friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank carolinec1981
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel is situated beside a beautiful river but unfortunately that is the only positive I can take from our stay. The staff were rude and seemed annoyed at our being there. The rooms were filthy and we were charged an extra £20 for checking in 10minutes early. We were quite amazed how bad it was. We moved to th Cricket Field House on the other side of Salisbury which was a welcome relief.
Do not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank JamesCarey
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is fortunate to be located in a beutiful spot literally on the river Avon, for if it wasn't for this Its not got much going for it. Our biggest concerns were with the fact that despite paying for an executive room we were unable to eat at the hotel for it being overrun by a wedding, resturant closed to paying guests told that we can eat in a room somewhere in the hotel but if we did we would need to tell reception before 5:30pm. No Luch available bar tender said we wouldn't get anything now because of the wedding. Told that we could go to the local hungry horse pub if we wanted food. Late afternoon/ early evening returning from the hungry horse we decided to sit in the grounds just outside our room with sun shining it was wonderful until the wedding was aloud to overrun this area making it uncomfortable. We Retired to our room and went to sleep listening to the sound of wedding guest rows and synchronised door slamming. Rooms ok but don't look to closely. Breakfast ok but staff slow. remember £5 additional charge for your full breakfast. Won't stay here again if you do avoid weddings they take preference in this hotel

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed here and have had an enjoyable stay. The position by the river is great and I would recommend the executive double bedrooms as they are a good size and nicely decorated. The staff are very helpful and friendly and as it’s so close to the Cathedral it is a good base for exploring Salisbury. I cannot comment on the restaurant as we have never eaten in it but the breakfast was fine. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple