I booked the Mercure since I trusted the Accor Hotel chain, especially Mercure, to come up with something reliable. I was disappointed. Despite booking a special rate, the room cost £180 for a Friday and Saturday night PLUS £12.95 for breakfast on each day.
The room was just about big enough to fit a narrow double into but the decor was tired with wallpaper beginning to peel at the seams and much battered paintwork. The bathroom was tiny and tiles were cracked all the way down the walls. There was a good selection of toiletries and a face flannel each, however.
Due to the special offer price, I suppose, it was a room overlooking the main road outside with the Courthouse opposite. The windows were single glazed but the secondary glazing had to be shut to eliminate traffic noise as there were traffic lights outside stopping vehicles only to have them accelerate again noisily as the lights turned green. In hot weather, it would have been unbearable.
The staff, however, were of exemplary politeness and attended to guests very well indeed. Even the desk clerk dealt admirably with a nasty client who was quizzing him rather aggressively about something. The chamber maids swooped as soon as one went to breakfast and all was spick and span on our return.
The public rooms are of a high standard but the guest rooms need an urgent and radical make-over for them to justify the exhorbitant price. As my friend said later, "Don't do that again - just book a Travelodge because the room will be bigger and the price will be reasonable."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 17th century 3 star hotel with 68 en suite rooms stands in the centre of Salisbury overlooking the famous Cathedral. Ideal base to visit Stonehenge and the New Forest. 25 miles from Southampton Airport, 1 mile from Salisbury railway and coach station. The hotel features the award winning Squires Restaurant and Bar, a lounge, 3 conference suites and a free car park. Nearby local leisure facilities just a short walk away include swimming, sauna, squash, tennis, snooker, horse riding and golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure White Hart Salisbury Hotel Salisbury
- Accor White Hart Salisbury
- Mercure Salisbury