“Overpriced”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed May 23, 2007

I booked the Mercure since I trusted the Accor Hotel chain, especially Mercure, to come up with something reliable. I was disappointed. Despite booking a special rate, the room cost £180 for a Friday and Saturday night PLUS £12.95 for breakfast on each day.
The room was just about big enough to fit a narrow double into but the decor was tired with wallpaper beginning to peel at the seams and much battered paintwork. The bathroom was tiny and tiles were cracked all the way down the walls. There was a good selection of toiletries and a face flannel each, however.
Due to the special offer price, I suppose, it was a room overlooking the main road outside with the Courthouse opposite. The windows were single glazed but the secondary glazing had to be shut to eliminate traffic noise as there were traffic lights outside stopping vehicles only to have them accelerate again noisily as the lights turned green. In hot weather, it would have been unbearable.
The staff, however, were of exemplary politeness and attended to guests very well indeed. Even the desk clerk dealt admirably with a nasty client who was quizzing him rather aggressively about something. The chamber maids swooped as soon as one went to breakfast and all was spick and span on our return.
The public rooms are of a high standard but the guest rooms need an urgent and radical make-over for them to justify the exhorbitant price. As my friend said later, "Don't do that again - just book a Travelodge because the room will be bigger and the price will be reasonable."

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LondonReisender

Reviewed April 10, 2007

We'd clued up on this hotel via Trip Advisor before booking. In short, we found elements of all the reviews to be accurate. We wanted to stay in the centre of Salisbury and this seemed to be the best of a not very promising bunch.
The most positive feature of the hotel was the pleasant attitude of the staff. The worst feature by far was the unbearable heat in the bedroom during the night (we stayed for three days over Easter). Even with the heating switched off and the windows open the room was hot and stuffy. It totally spoiled our experience of the hotel. It desperately needs air conditioning and not the small fan provided.
We can confirm that other aspects of the hotel were as recorded by previous TA reviewers:
- The decor is tired in places
- The dining room is under pressure at peak breakfast times (expect upto 25min wait for cooked breakfast)
-The bedroom was relatively small and quite expensive (nearly £400 for 3 nights)
-The traffic noise is very intrusive for the front bedrooms and made worse by the fact that the windows could not be shut (even if we'd wanted to) because the sash cords were long broken.
-There is ample parking at the hotel but it is not secure as the installed barriers are not in operation.
-The advertised satelite TV facility is quite limited in choice of channels

The hotel chain should be ashamed of it's investment in this property. It could be a really first class hotel but the owners seemed content to under invest. The staff worked hard and were responsive but they deserve a better environment that this hotel presents.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Natali A
Reviewed March 20, 2007

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the White Hart Hotel and have to say I was quite relieved to find it was much better than previous reviews indicated. However, I should point out that the hotel is very old and in places showing its age, also there were no lifts to the bedrooms, but staff was on hand to carry bags, if necessary. Rooms at the front of the hotel would appear to be the older rooms and the noise from busy traffic outside would probably not make for a good night's sleep. The first floor rooms, I gather, are now in need of some refurbishment. I had a room on the second floor, which I believe had been refurbished approximately 4 years ago and which overlooked the Courtyard at the rear of the property, nice and quiet. The room, a 'Feature Double', was light in decor, with two windows and had all the amenities I required such as hairdryer, bathroom toiletries, bath robe and slippers, trouser press, iron/ironing board, luggage rack, ample wardrobe space/hangers/safe and a full length mirror. There was a small circular table, with complimentary bottles of water, three small armchairs, desk (internet access 5GBP per hour), TV, mini bar, coffee/tea making facilities, a small trolley-table and ample lighting. The bedroom was clean and well maintained, apart from one of the windows, which did not close properly, but they are the old sash type wooden framed windows that really could do with modernising. - The bed was quite comfortable, with two pillows, sheets/blankets (would really have preferred a duvet) and an ottoman at the base of the bed. - Compact, is the word that comes to mind when describing the bathroom, which had the usual toilet, hand basin (with marble shelf and mirror above), bath with fixed shower head and an extra hand held shower, together with a heated towel rail, all in same vicinity and a steep step down into the bathroom from the bedroom area. - The hotel had a friendly atmosphere, with all types of people coming and going and calling in for afternoon tea. The lounge area is spacious with an open fire; there is also a large bar area and restaurant. I had quite a nice meal in the restaurant and the buffet breakfast was nicely displayed with ample choice and the full English breakfast freshly cooked. All the staff was pleasant and very helpful. My advice is, do your homework and choose your room carefully and YES I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KFMUK
Reviewed November 18, 2006

The hotel is well positioned in the centre of Salisbury, with a good car park at the rear. The hotel is however expensive and service is slow, especially at breakfast. My colleagues and I all found our rooms either small or in need of tidying up. My room was also noisy with a large extract duct directly outside. I stayed here for work, but if I had been spending my own money, I would be not be very pleased. This is not a bad hotel, just one that charges high prices. We were booked in for dinner bed & breakfast at £103 night, for which I would have expected better.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank rover54
Reviewed October 10, 2006

My Fiance and I have recently returned from a two night stay at the White Hart Hotel. We had booked a superior room through the Macdonald's central reservations and were advised this would be a four poster bed (as shown on their website). However, when we arrived we were given our room key and headed up stairs - my heart sank when I saw the room. We had been given a superior room, but it was a taster four poster, and the room was TINY, even the sink in the bathroom was the same kind of size you would expect to see in downstairs loo in a house - not a hotel! After a little while I went down to the reception to ask if this room was a superior room. I was advised that it was and was asked what the problem was. I told the receptionist that when I had booked through central reservations I had asked what the difference was between a standard room and a superior room to which I was informed that the superior rooms were much larger than the standard rooms - if this was the case I hate to think how small the standard rooms were! I also advised the receptionist that we had reservered a four poster. They apologised for the mix up and allocated us an alternative room. I have to say this was a vast improvement and was much larger - it even had it's own balcony. Apart from the size of the room the only grumble I have is that it was too hot, I love the heat but this was too much even for my liking.

It also states on the hotel website that it has sat TV & hairdryer - our room did not have a hairdryer and the only additional chanel we had on the TV was ITV 2.

Over all it was in a great location, and yes it was a little noisy, but it's a city centre hotel. If you can get a reduced price for this hotel, go for it. If you're paying full price you may get the feeling you're being over charged for small rooms and just paying for the Macdonald Hotel brand name - shame...

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Likes-2-b-pampered
Reviewed September 23, 2006

Shower pressure poor, TV reception impossible, decor old. Staff friendly and efficient. Not worth the money

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrs-castle
Reviewed September 18, 2006

The hotel is located just outside the city walls and is easy to find. It is within walking distance of the Cathedral and other sites/shopping - so the location is pretty good. However the busy street is a problem as the road is noisy and rooms at the back of the hotel are limited.

We were initiailly allocated a non-smoking room on the 1st floor. Unfortunatley that floor is a mixture of non- and smoking rooms and someone who'd had that room had obviously been confused.

We were moved to a newly refurnished room on the 2nd floor which was about a decade ahead of the previous one. The room was decorated to the standards I'd associate with MacDonald Hotels (generally they are modern and the decor is stylish), was clean and located away from the main street.

The staff were all helpful and happy to assist with any problems - although tracking the bar staff during the evening wasn't easy. There appeared to be a very limited number of staff in the main part of the hotel - since we didn't eat in the restaurant I'm not sure how good the service was there.

Breakfast was of a high quality, service was quick and the hot food arrived quickly.

Overall I enjoyed the stay but the hotel has a few problems.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family