“Nice hotel, but a bit expensive”

Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I moved to Salisbury in August 2012 and stayed here for our first week in town while searching for housing. The hotel is nice enough - clean and modern with air conditioning in the rooms. Our room was extremely small (even for European standards) with about about 18 inches on either side of a double bed. There were about 3 feet at the end of the bed between it and a small desk with a television.

After 2 nights we asked the hotel staff if they had any larger rooms, but they said they were full and could not move us. Internet was for a fee (don't remember how much, but we didn't use it) and we didn't have breakfast included with our room as is common in most other hotels in the area.

That being said, the hotel has a good location in Salisbury right across from the cathedral and within close proximity to many good restaurants. The staff were very kind even when they were unable to help with our requests, and began recognizing us after only 1 night. They provided us with good dinner recommendations and also helped us to find another hotel after our reservation ended and we still needed a hotel at the end of the week (the White Hart was full for the second week).

The hotel also has a nice outdoor courtyard where we spent time in the evenings and on the weekends to get some air and get out of the small room. Overall, I would recommend this hotel only if you can get a good deal on it. I paid full price because it was covered by my employer, but wouldn't have done that if I booked it myself. If the price was better I'd give it 4 stars, but for us it seemed expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Cubbieblue10

Many thanks for your review of the hotel when staying during the Summer, the hotel is in a great location for visiting the sites of Salisbury and I was pleased that along with this you found the staff to be very kind and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the courtyard facility during more warmer times.

The hotel has a number of promotions throughout the year and if you wish to know further please do not hesitate in contacting either the hotel or by visiting our website. You will also be glad to learn that we now offer free WIFI within the hotel as standard.

Once again thank you for your review and hopefully we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Mark Postlethwaite

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel over the Christmas period. It is very central - excellent if you don't have a car -definitely a 4 star - bedrooms and bathrooms very clean, modern and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful, but maybe a teeny bit understaffed and stressed. Food in the lounge bar area is quite good - would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are a couple of rooms immediately at the top of the stairs, before all the others, which are t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear catwoman59

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Salisbury, White Hart.

I was pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the benefits of our excellent central location during your stay with us over the Festive season, and that the hotel was very clean and comfortable.

It was also pleasing to note that the food was enjoyed also and I have passed on your kind words to the team and further hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

What a night we had last night, New Years Eve! After considerable discussion with our friends and recommendations from others we decided a few months to book the White Hart Hotel as our venue.

We were greeted at reception by Mark the Manager, what a nice chap and very professional. We were seated in the main bar area and as well as Champagne had some well presented and extremely nice canapes, a really good start.

After a short while Sarah the Function Manager came over to take our food order, its so refreshing to see service with a smile and Sarah certainly ticked the boxes. We ordered our food from a varied menu, all sounded very appealing.

After around 30 minutes we were asked to go into the function room which looked amazing, all tables were decorated, plenty of baloons and full room of around 90 guests were about to enjoy a great night. The food arrived and was very good, Langoustine cocktail was amazing, the pork tenderloin was moist and perfectly cooked and the homemade bakewell tart just the icing on the cake.

After the meal the disco started, it was just right for the evening with a mixture of all types of music, so much fun. At mignight we all sang the traditional song, what a superb evening.

I can 100% recommend this venue for any function and especially New Years Eve, we will be booking up very soon for 354 days time!

Thank you Mark and Sarah, you and your staff deserve a big round of applause.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jonip1966
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear jonip1966

Many thanks for taking the time in writing your review of our New Years Eve celebrations and for the special mentions.

It is always pleasing to recieve such remarks about the hotel and the service we provide and that all the detail is appreciated including the welcome, decorations, music and of course the food and drink.

Your kind words and feedback will definately serve as great motivation to the whole team as we enter the New Year, and on that note may I take this opportunity in wishing you and your family a Happy New Year and look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Excellent central location for anyone wanting to take in the sites of this historic part of Wiltshire. a warm welcome from reception staff,excellent size room and an overall lovely venue. We had an overnight stay/meal/wine package on a £99 TravelZoo voucher on which I've based this review.

Two minor niggles were the Beef Wellington......I dont know why it took so long for something one would assume is ore-prepared and takes about 15-20 minutres to cook... and I dont know what cut of beef the chef used but it was'nt fillet and the slice of pate looked more like luncheon meat slice!......stick to what you are good at guys....my wife chose the salmon and the rest of the menu was fine.
The £5 charge for the car park on departure came as a surprise and it would have been nice if they'd mentioned this on arrival.

Being central it was noisy traffic wise......but this is no reflection on the Hotel.....if however, you are a ligth sleeper you migth find thid challenging

Overall an ideal venue for central Salisbury. Well done

Room Tip: choose a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear allanKR

Thank you for posting your recent review and for choosing the Mercure White Hart.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel in an excellent location when visiting the historic city of Salisbury and that the Reception team gave you a warm welcome. I was further pleased to read that the accommodation supplied was of an excellent size for you.

I have investigated your comments relating to the food during your evening meal and can confirm that the steak was a fillet and have asked that your concerns are shared with our suppliers. The pate was a Foie gras and duck liver parfait and does have a smooth look and texture.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the Mercure, White Hart and may I wish you a Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I chose to book into this hotel since it was close to the cathedral, it looked lovely and I wanted something nice for Christmas. While I realize this is a chain and the staff has little control over somethings, this stay wasn't horrible just disappointing. The hotel itself is lovely, very english and if the beds are a bit hard I am just picky. The staff might have just been grumpy over having to work over Christmas, given that they had been so helpful helping me to reorganize a mistake in my booking, but I was disappointed in many of my interactions. The food was expensive and I felt wifi was overpriced and didn't work well in the slightest. There was a feeling that was going on that as Americans, my mother and I just didn't understand and would have appreciated an explanation too. Maybe it was just the holiday season, I just don't know.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear emily k

Thank you for posting your recent review and that the staff assisted you with the error with your reservation.

However I was disappointed to read that you felt that other staff were not so happy at their work during the Festive season, and having worked with them over the Festive period I have asked the management team to assist in motivating the team and ensure that this impression you were left with is not repeated.

We have listened carfully to feedback relating to the WIFI charges and can confirm that this service will be free as of January 2013.

Once again thank you for your comments and take this opportunity in wishing you a Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had booked for one night as we were due to attend a grandsons carol service in the Cathedral
Unfortunately my wife was unwell so we were unable to avail ourselves of the booking, hence we lost our pre payment
We have however frequently had various forms of refreshment, from coffee etc in the lounge / bar, to meals in the dinning room and have always been completely satisfied
We intend to continue using your very comfortable facilities in the future

Dear miller424

Thank you for your recent feedback and was sorry to read you were unable to stay with us recently.

However thank you for your kind words as a regular customer of the hotel whether it be in the lounge or when using the restaurant, and hope that you continue to enjoy the comfortable facilities at the hotel.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed at White Hart after going to a party night there. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Food excellent at party and breakfast next morning. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Room was on the small side though and could do with some 'tarting' up. Very convenient for town centre, cathedral etc.

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank southamanda
WhiteHartManager, General Manager at Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear southamanda

Thank you for posting your review of the Mercure, White Hart.

I was extremely pleased to read your comments relating to the staff of the hotel, in that you found them friendly and helpful as they are an important part of anyone staying with us.

I have passed on your kind words about the excellent food you recieved during your stay with the kitchen brigade as well as your positive words about the cleanliness and comfort of your bedroom with the housekeeping team as I am sure this will serve as great motivation during the busy Festive season.