“Smart clean and efficient”

The Cathedral Hotel
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Smart clean and efficient”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were working in Salisbury so found the Cathedral hotel online. First impressions were great. A smart exterior and the receptionist who checked us in went out of her way to let us know where we were in the town, what attractions were nearby, how the room key worked. The lift is small but wonderful, key operated for security. The room was fine, average size but clean, smart and pleasantly designed. We were there on a Sunday night so very quiet. The hotel has no parking but the council run car park is very close and we paid only £1.70 for the whole of Sunday. The location was good, being right in the centre of Salisbury and close to shops, cathedral and countryside. Breakfast was cooked to order and arrived swiftly. We would certainly return to The Cathedral Hotel as we found it excellent value for money.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very positive review. I will pass your comments onto Suzy our receptionist and let her know that you were very pleased with the welcome you received. We look forward to looking after you on your next visit to Salisbury.

Tony Negal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Cathedral Hotel is well situated to access all that Salisbury town has to offer. The other side of this is that it gets very busy on Fridays and weekends which the hotel website makes very clear when you are booking. True to what the website says on the Thursday that I stayed the hotel was quiet, but it was defintely noisier on the Friday and Saturday - but nowhere near the levels that the website had indicated. This is the only hotel that I have stayed in which provides sets of earplugs in the bathroom as standard; however I didn't need them on any of the days and slept well throughout my stay. If you a light sleeper and go to bed early this is probably not the hotel for you at weekends, but during the week it should be fine.

The room was well appointed with a comfortable bed, good size TV screen and excellent en-suite facilities. The breakfast was of a good quality with a wide range of dishes on offer. The service was good. The entrance to the bedrooms is through the downstairs bar and you are issued with a key to the lift which helps promote a secure sense of feeling.

Car parking in Salisbury is a problem and relatively expensive. There is no car park at the hotel but they will give you directions to nearby car parks. There is a one nearby where you can park for four hours for around £5 during the day. If you arrive after 6pm and put in a couple of pounds to take you up to 10am the next day you can safely park for the evening spend the night at the hotel and get to the car park in plenty of time after breakfast in order to go out the next day. There is a longer stay car park further away from the hotel where you can park all day - but still at a price.

Overall The Cathedral Hotel is a pleasant stay with town centre convenience with the levels of activity and noise that you would expect in such a situation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with potential visitors to our hotel and Salisbury. I am very happy that you enjoyed the service you received from our team and found your room and breakfast to be of a very good standard. We have added lots of little extras for example the locks on the lift and hotel doors as and when guests have given us feedback. Reviews that give guests a summary of their experience is an excellent help when future guests are making a decision where to stay.
Thank you once again and we look forward to looking after you on your next visit to Salisbury.

Seaside, California
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed on a Sunday and Monday night, so it was very quiet. Our room was very clean and quite large and the bathroom was huge. The location is great -- about a 10 minute walk from the train station and another 10 minutes to the cathedral. The breakfast was also very good and included either a continental or a nice offering of hot entrees (the smoked salmon and eggs were wonderful). It was convenient to have a restaurant in the hotel, too. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you are concerned about noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very positive review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room and breakfast to be of an excellent standard. We have done a lot of work recently on our menu and food offering to ensure we were giving a better in house restaurant experience. I am pleased you enjoyed the restaurant and hope you visit Salisbury soon and allow us to look after you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I booked in here mon-thurs after checking out of the appalling city lodge. I was delighted by the staffs friendliness and helpfulness. Always smiling, always greeted you when you came in. when i checked in they went out of their way to not only furnish me with information on the hotel but also the surrounding area. They couldnt do enough for me. Really great customer service. I had a room on the 1st floor at the back. Salisbury can be noisy and I slept with the ear plugs in every night and was not disturbed at all. I was delighted with the cleanliness of the room and shower room. Internet access great. Good tea and coffee facilities. Breakfast very satisfactory. Great decor. It combines the elegance of an old building with a good attention to detail and all mod cons. The bed was also very comfortable. I loved my stay here and would be happy to return. Perfect central hotel. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review. I am very happy that our team did so much to help make your stay a good one and that you found your overall stay at our hotel a good one. We try very hard to add little extras and show attention to detail to the little things and it is very rewarding when our guests appreciate them. I will share your review with our team and hope to look after you again when you visit Salisbury.

The Catheral Hotel Team
Delightful Luton
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Held an event at the restuarant so my husband and I booked a room in the hotel for 1 night.
The event went VERY well. We stayed a saturday night which the hotel openly admits that it is noisy due to the DJ who plays until 02:00. Having said that, even when we went to bed at around 01:30 and closed the windows the sound wasn't too loud but ear plugs were provded.
Bed was decent and a good size.
Shower and bathroom (no bath in this room, so just a stand-up shower) was a bit dated but the shower had brilliant power (it rhymes!).
Breakfast was served until 10:00, so made it there in time. Breakfast was substantial and filled the gap. Staff were friendly and helpful.
Overall, a pleasant experience at the hotel. But having said that, we weren't expecting anything awesome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LoveABargain94
Dear Guest

Thank you for holding your event with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and gave us a good review. We hope to look after you on your next visit to Salisbury.

The Cathedral Hotel Team
Sydney Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A very comfortable hotel with friendly helpful staff, clean rooms and bathrooms, and an attached restaurant. Ten minutes walk from the station, five minutes from the cathedral. The little extras like tea, coffee and hot chocolate making facilities, with little packs of quality shortbreads, and breakfast with fresh fruit were appreciated. Smoked salmon was offered as an alternative to the usual bacon, beans and sausages at breakfast.
The hotel supplies earplugs, so perhaps it is noisy on weekends. On our 3 night stay, Sunday to Tuesday, I heard nothing at all while in the room. Non smoking throughout, a definite plus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lyndym
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind words about our hotel and our staff. I will pass your comments on. The house keepers will be very happy that you mentioned how clean the rooms are. As a private hotel we try very hard to add little extras that make our guests stay as comfortable as possible. We try to add personal touches that we feel the national brands cannot offer. All our rooms and our building have some unique features. I am really pleased you enjoyed both our hotel and our city. We hope you get a chance to visit again and we can look after you in the future.

The cathedral Hotel
Málaga, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I made a decision when we left the hotel last week. If the management emailed an apology for the massive list of negatives I left on the feedback form I wouldn't write a review. They didn't, so here are my grouches in the order they occurred: No help with luggage; lift too small for 2 people & luggage; no lock on adjoining room; faulty loo seat; dirty windows; hard beds; rude bar staff; bread arrived after the meal; revolting cold coffee. Breakfast: severely watered down orange juice; scrambled egg like you have never seen or tasted before; faulty toaster that caught fire. Then, too add insult to injury, bills had not been co-ordinated and we were asked to pay an account already settled. And when you pay to park your car on council land around the corner, be prepared to go back later in the day to top up so you don't get a nasty surprise when you leave. Better still, just stay away all together.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie M
Dear Guest
We take guest feedback and customer care very seriously and were possible do everything we can to correct any issues. I made the decision not to contact you after you left your in-house feedback form as I genuinely believed on this occasion nothing we would have done, would have satisfied your expectations. I do not think it is beneficial to go into every point you made on tripadvisor and in your in-house review form, but I would like to give readers of your review the opportunity to make a fair judgement and let them understand why on this occasion I did nothing. You said on your arrival, ''no concierge to carry your bags'' As much as it is not part of the service we offer, if we have guests who need help, we do so with-out condition, yourself and your partner looked very fit to us (When my receptionist heard what you said, she did help you and your partner to the lift) You said the lift was too small (It is an original 1930's wood panelled lift of a reasonable size. We went to great expense to re-commission it instead of having it replaced with a metal box which would have been much cheaper) You said your bread came after your meal (You ordered the bread after your meal was delivered to the table) The toaster is not faulty (A guest put a croissant in it, which it clearly states in word and picture format not to do) You told your server when they table checked you at dinner that our coffee cups were too heavy (I am not sure what you expected). With regards parking, (Our receptionist told you of a 24 hour option, but you chose to stay in the 3 hour stay car park) You said there was no lock on adjoining door (There is, but it is left open as when guests book these rooms as a suite they can make a decision to lock it. You required a double room, so would of only used one side of this suite, we never sell these rooms separately which I believe my receptionist told you) so nobody would of ever been in the room next door. With regards the scrambled egg, I would like to apologise. As part of my investigation into your stay I tried our scrambled egg and found it was not very nice, we have now changed the way this is cooked.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us, but we fully support the review process as when guests leave helpful practical reviews they help us improve service and standards for future visitors and it helps potential guests make an informed decision if they are booking the right hotel for the right experience.

The Cathedral Hotel