“Could be Good!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Could be Good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked this as a Red Letter Day gift. Their website did make it clear that the Hotel could be lively and noisy on the weekend which was I booked on a Thursday. Unfortunately, people clearly enjoy a long weekend in Salisbury! To be fair the Hotel Website makes it very clear that Sun-Weds are quite and Thurs to Sat aren't so I was just unlucky/foolish not checking that before booking. To be fair the windows do cut most of the sound out and ear plugs are also provided. With windows shut it does get very hot and then you have to sleep over a floor fan and a ceiling fan. The room was small and nicely done out though there were a few cobwebs in the corners.
We ate in the Restaurant and have to say the food was really good quality and on a Thursday there was 25% off which also meant it was very good value. My starter of whitebait was great, it wasn't until I cleared my plate that my wife spotted a very long hair. The member of staff was very apologietic, mortified even, and without pressing they were removed from the bill. There was a bit of wait for our starter plates to be removed plus our requested jug of water didn't arrive until a second time of asking.
Although I wasn't asked how I wanted my steak, luckily it was done medium rare which is how I like it. My wife's fish mixed grill was very generous also.
Unfortunately things went slightly wrong with desserts. I didn't want one but I did want an Irish Coffee to drink as my wife wanted hers. I had to go to the bar to chase up, as the one member of staff serving the restaurant seemed to be on glass collecting duties. I spotted the coffee half-done on the bar and was told it was on it's way. When it did arrive it was, of course, just warm rather than hot and my wife had long finished her dessert. Again the staff were very apologetic and again this was removed from the bill. When the bill arrived the 25% wasn't discounted so we had to ask for this to be discounted.
Sadly breakfast was also a bit hit'n'miss. The member of staff told us there were problems in the kitchen. I'm guessing either the hob wasn't working or the grill member of staff hadn't turned up as there was no bacon or fried eggs. We opted for deep fried sausages and scrambled eggs and beans. The scrambled eggs were like cardboard, whilst I think the must have been down to their last tin of beans as we only seemed to have one spoonful each! Thankfully the sausages were really nice.
I think if you picked the right night and you were bit luckier with the eating then you could have a really good stay. I marked the service high as they did seem to really care plus from the Hotel's comments they do take customer feedback really seriously. However, ultimately you shouldn't be judging a place on the quality of its apologies. I think the staff seemed overstretched and certainly when we ate there seemed more of a focus on the bar. There's a balancing act to be done and with a little work it can be done.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest one if you're staying Thurs - Sat.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your balanced and fair review of your stay at our Hotel. We appreciate that you recognise we take guest feedback very seriously and act where possible. With regards the issue in the kitchen, our gas has an automatic cut off if the extractor cuts out and this is what caused the problem in the morning. I will pass on your very kind comments about our team. During our team meetings we discuss reviews and carry out role plays to look for ways of making improvements to our service. It does feel from your review that on this occasion we were just off the mark. On looking at your review and a couple of recent reviews we now allocate at least one person to our restaurant, whereas before they were responsible for the whole floor area. Once again thank you for taking the time to place a review of your stay and giving us theopportunity to make improvements to our service and standards. We hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit to Salisbury.

The Cathedral Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice, the staff is very polite and ready to help, the room is very clean and with a lot of amenities. The restaurant is very, very good (even if we had to wait just a little bit too much...), the breakfast is very generous. The point is that it's noisy.... We had a room on the street and even with double glazing I heard people talking (yelling?....) in the street, and it was Wednesday ... I honestly have to say that neither my husband and my 2 daughters had problem to sleep, and the hotel support you with earplugs. In any case the position is great both for the center than for the cathedral.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Cathedral Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review of your stay with us during your visit to Salisbury. I am very happy you enjoyed our hotel and restaurant. I am pleased you felt our team were always willing to help and were very polite. I will pass your comments onto our team.

Tony Negal
Oberlin, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel understates the awful din. We were unable to sleep until about 2:30 AM - they say the noise comes from outside, but the club music is cranked so loud that the walls shake up on the third floor. DO NOT even consider this hotel if you want to sleep!

The hotel's cavalier attitude toward customers sleep is too bad, because the endeavor to do many things well. And from 2:30 AM to 7 AM it was a pleasant stay. But DO NOT go here on a Saturday night!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

I am sorry you left us thinking we were less than 100% receptive to your comments. I hope it is evident by our great customer service reviews that we take guest feedback very seriously. Thank you for your kind remarks that you felt we did lots of things well. Our website clearly states throughout the week, the hotel offers a quiet, relaxed environment. At the weekend, the bar is open until 02:00 and offers DJ entertainment. Guests are advised that it will probably be noisy from approx. 11pm until 02:30 in the morning at weekends. We have had some guests stay with us that said they could not here anything, but we cannot guarantee this so we fully inform potential guests that there is a risk you will here noise. I hope your stay with us does not deter you from visiting this great City again.

Tony Negal
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in 2 rooms on the top floor on a Monday and Tuesday night.
*No noise issues whatsoever.
*Good bed.
*Good hot water / shower.
*Clean, up to date rooms in a Victorian building which retained a lovely central staircase with skylight overhead.
*Full cooked breaskfast was included and was great--full English.
We had dinner one night as well and we found this to be simple food, well done, with sufficient diversity of the menu to satisfy child, teens, and adult.
*Of special note, all of the staff we interacted with were genuinely concerned with our comfort and stay.
*Parking is in a city lot around 1 corner from the hotel entrance.
* It is a nice walking distance from Salisbury Cathedral and Close (~5 min walk).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Crumudgeon
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to put an excellent review of your group stay with us. I am very happy that you enjoyed your hotel and restaurant experience with us and we look forward to looking after you when you next visit Salisbury. I will pass on your great comments about our team to the staff that were on duty during your stay.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I saw some of the negative reviews over noise and did wonder if it was worse than Hotel admitted too , ITS NOT.
Yes there is a Night Club atmosphere at weekends but we didn't find it a problem in our room
2nd floor above the dance floor, certainly had no need for the ear plugs provided and I needed to be up for 6.30am on Sunday morning ,we got a great nights sleep..
Room was great , small but spotless( as was the whole hotel) and modern, Ironing board , Iron and a TV with a great picture and Tea and Coffee .
The staff are incredible they can't do enough for you, if they can do it they will, it was such a refreshing change, from our point of view this shows that the owners have greated a little gem.
We ate there at night good value, good quality, good range, served promptly .
People need to read the Hotels description first ,it is honest.
We have stayed in most of the central Hotels in Salisbury, this is the best

Room Tip: There are rooms that are away from the night club , just ask, we didn't need to, but the owner t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Doug30
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review. I will pass your comments onto our team. I am delighted we could look after you so well and look forward to seeing you again when you visit Salisbury.

reno nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

The cathedral hotel was very nice and reasonably priced. Very clean. Staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was great. Location was perfect. Short walk to the cathedral. Fluffy pillows, nice bathroom, ceiling fan. It was rather warm in Salisbury so the ceiling fan was nice. Beds were comfortable. We had a triple room and it was adequate size for 3. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kimajo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review of your stay. We are very happy you had such a good stay and are very grateful that you would fully reccomend us to potential guests. I will pass your very kind comments onto our team.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I was here for 2 nights and loved it! The staff here are young, friendly and sincerely warm. I travel extensively and this is by far one of the warmest and friendliest hotels I have ever stayed at. Steve, Harriet and Susie - you guys are AWESOME!

My son and I arrived early before normal check in hours and we were alble to get a nice quiet room facing the garden area. On the day of check out, we wanted to sight see some more and the staff were so accomodating that they let us put our luggage in their store room until late afternoon.

i would definitely recommend this hotel. Just read their website and be aware of the days that you are booking. We went during the weekdays and it was quiet and peaceful. On the weekend, we heard it can get busy with noise from the bar. The food was excellent also.

Room Tip: Choose and room that faces the backyard.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pamela T
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor. I am delighted yourself and your son had such a great time with us. We are always grateful when the extra little bits we can do, due to our flexibility as an independant hotel is appreciated. I have told our team about your specific comments and they were delighted. Once again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Salisbury.

The Cathedral Hotel team