“Wonderful B&B if visiting Stonehenge”
Review of Avonlea House

Avonlea House
Ranked #4 of 59 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I only stayed for one night but we would highly recommend. After visiting Avebury and Stonehenge we wanted to spend the night someplace close. We were greeted by Jackie who showed us to our lovely room. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. I would say it was one of the most lovely rooms and bathrooms we had on our trip. Breakfast was wonderful. The town of Salisbury is a few minutes away and a very nice place to have dinner. Agree with all the other great reviews.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm delighted you enjoyed staying with us so much and enjoyed your visit to Salisbury too. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Whilst staying 1 night at Avonlea in August my husband became ill with pneumonia and was rushed to hospital by ambulance. The owner Jackie arranged the ambulance for me, taking us into her own lounge room for comfort and privacy whilst being attended to. My husband was In hospital for 8 days. During this time Jackie and her husband John looked after me over and above what I would have expected.From originally only booking 1 night I stayed a total of 10 nights. During this time Jackie had to move me from room to room as she had previous bookings. I spent each day at the hospital, so after I left each morning Jackie packed and moved all my belongings, she wouldn't let me do anything, she really looked after me. If I was not home by a certain time of a night, she would ring me at the hospital to make sure I was alright before she went to bed, The rooms were all immaculately clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were legendary. I cannot rate my experience of Avonlea any higher. It is not often you get such personal, caring attention from someone who started out as a stranger, but became my friend. I highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

Room Tip: I loved the back double room, very cosy.
1  Thank Sandra B
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Sandra, my dear Australian friend who is no longer a stranger. The help I gave was a natural reaction to someone who was also so dear and kind. Just so glad I was there for you. Can't wait to visit you in Sydney :)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Unfortunately...
we only stayed for one night. We booked the large deluxe double room. And our expectations were more than fulfilled.
A warm welcome, a modern styled bedroom, the best bathroom throughout our UK vacation and a delicious English breakfast.
Walking into the City Center takes a bit more than 15 minutes and can easily be managed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you Sven for taking the time to post such a nice review. It was a pleasure having you both stay - you were so friendly. I am so sorry to know that you have suffered a car accident since returning home and hope that each day aides your recovery. Our best wishes to you both.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

John and Jackie are fine hosts. The house is spotlessly maintained. My fiancé's food allergies were accommodated respectfully and effectively. To bad we were there for just one night. It is just a simple drive into Salisbury from the house. Stonehenge is a 10 minute drive away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie G, Owner at Avonlea House, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Barry, thank you so much for taking the time to post such a kind review. It was a pleasure chatting with you on Sunday morning - we are hanging on to the details of your apartment as we are very tempted!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I had the good fortune to pick this B&B for our stay over the recent bank holiday weekend. Despite the Salisbury Summer Spectacular taking place on the fields opposite we had no trouble parking as there is room for several cars on the driveway at the front of the house.
We were greeted by Jackie who was really welcoming and showed us to our room which was very spacious with a good sized en-suite and really comfortable beds. Nice little touches such as fresh milk available on the landing to be able to take into bedrooms to have with tea or coffee rather than the little cartons of milk you so often get, and bottles of chilled water there too showed how Jackie has thought about things that make a stay that bit more special.
The breakfast was great with a good choice of cereals, yoghurts, etc. and a full english breakfast which included 2 rashers of possibly the nicest baocn I've ever eaten. Suffice to say I spent most of the day wishing I hadn't eaten quite so much, but it was all so tempting!
The location really worked for us as we were heading off on Sunday morning to Stonehenge and Old Sarum, so being on the main road out of Salisbury on the north side meant we were at Stonehenge in about 15 minutes. We'd been into Salisbury for the day before arriving at the B&B and found that several roads in the city were available to park on for free on Sundays so didn't need to make use of the bus service, but if we had we could see the stop was right outside the house next door and would only have been a 5 minute ride in.
We'll definitely be recommending Avonlea to any friends or family looking to stay in Salisbury, and should we stay that way again, Avonlea House will be top of our list.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your extremely kind and informative review. Your company was a pleasure - shame you didn't stay longer. Next time perhaps:)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our hosts were very friendly and considerate especially in accommodating at short notice our 10 year old granddaughter who enjoyed her breakfasts as did we. I would highly recommend this very comfortable and friendly B & B

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Cecil, thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure having you all here and I'm so pleased you all enjoyed your breakfasts. I do hope you come back when you are visiting your daughter in Salisbury again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed there for two nights and had a very great time. Jackie is a great host, the Food was prepared with love and generosity and the rooms were amazing. The beds were so comfy that we slept in.
Would definitely be back and recommend to others. Busses leave in front of the house, Walking to town centre takes about 20min and the Old Sarum is just around the corner.
Thanks, we had a great time!
Stephanie and family

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Stephanie thank you so much for posting such a kind review. You and your family are lovely and it was so nice sharing your company for a couple of days. Do please come back.