“A really kooky B&B with a great host”
Review of 85 Exeter Street

85 Exeter Street
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salisbury
85 Exeter Street
Ranked #35 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Bath, United Kingdom
“A really kooky B&B with a great host”
Reviewed May 11, 2011

My office booked this B&B - there are some well known B&Bs on Exeter Street and I was expecting to be in one of these but 85 Exeter Street is very discreet - it's basically the owner's home and that's the great thing about it. A friend decided to stay with me at the last minute and the owner was very helpful about swapping us intp a twin room; we had lovely tea and biscuits on arrival, a nice little room with our own bathroom, plenty of advice about where to eat out, tea delivered to the bedroom in the morning and a lovely breakfast. The decor is fascinating - lots of pictures and things to look at, but very much someone's house - don't stay here is you want something hotel-y and clinical. I will certainly be going back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2009

We stayed at 85 Exeter Street on the way to Stonehenge.

Location: walking distance to eateries, very close to cathedral and very strategic for Stonehenge.

Hostess was friendly and welcoming.

We were given a room on the top floor with an adjacent bathroom. Both room and bathroom were plush, clean, very comfortable and had everything we could possibly need. We were the only ones staying on the top floor so the adjacent bathroom wasn't a problem but a connecting door would have been real good.

Breakfast was plenty and good.

We recommend this place if you are visting Stonehenge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed at 85 Exeter over a year ago in May 2008. At that time, this B&B wasn't even listed on Tripadvisor, so I couldn't review it after my trip. Now that it's listed, I'll copy what I have written in my trip report:

I called the B&B directly to book. The owner, Susan, answered the phone, and she seemed so nice over the phone that I decided to go ahead with the booking even though I could not find any online reivews anywhere.

The B&B is has 3 floors and she rents out 2 rooms. Mine is the smaller one on (US) 3rd floor. It has a twin bed (plus a roll-out twin underneath). I'd say the room is fine for 1 person, but probably is a bit cramped for 2 if you are someone who likes to hang out in the room. The bathroom is outside the bedroom just next door. It is a private bathroom with full bath.

I also asked to look at the other room, which is a larger double on the (US) 2nd floor. It is very spacious and has its own en-suite bathroom, but shower only.

Location-wise, it is <5 min walk to the Cathedral, 5-10 min walk to center of town, 20 min walk to train station. On the same block, there are 3 other B&Bs (Cathedral View, Cathedral Cottage, and Spire House).

Susan is a gracious host. I felt like I was staying with someone I know. Both guest rooms face the back instead of the front of the house. Downside is one cannot see the cathedral spire; but major upside is how quiet it is. Exeter Street is very busy and I imagine it's noisy facing that street.

I was offered tea and biscuits when I arrived in the afternoon on my first day. The living room is comfortable with plenty of magazines and guidebooks to browse. Susan also has great restaurant suggestions.

Breakfast is laid out each morning on the ground floor room. 3 types of cereal, fresh cut fruit, greek yogurt, OJ, milk. Choice of freshly-brewed coffee or tea. Susan then cooks breakfast to order - choice of eggs, sausages, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms - any or all of the above. There is also toast, which is homemade by Susan. What a wonderful way to start the day!

Susan is also a docent/guide at the Wilton House, home of the Earl of Pembroke. One of my reason for visiting Salisbury was Wilton House, so staying here with Susan around is almost an extra bonus. She has several guidebooks on Wilton House so I could read up on it before and after my visit. She even gave me a ride home from Wilton House at the end of the day, so I didn't have to wait for the bus.

In summary, this is a great place to stay in Salisbury, and the hospitality offered by Susan made this place extra special.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank y2000k
London
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Have stayed in loads of B&Bs all over the country - you won't find one more equipped, comfortable or a more friendly Sue to look after you. All her recommendations are excellent too!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
brighton
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Unusual pricing stratagy-paid £75 for 1st night (single room) and £80 for the second night (same single room)...would be interested in pricing for weekly stays!
In Sawdays guide with 'from...' rates. Beware!
Good location for cathedral close and good breakfast. No hospitality tray unless insist.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank truthbrighton
ExSt, Owner at 85 Exeter Street, responded to this review, May 23, 2009
This guest completely misunderstood the Tropicana voucher offer to stay at Alastair Sawday establishments, which was Book One Night, Get One Free up to £75 per voucher. She booked at £75 per night. She admitted to not having read the conditions or understanding them. With regard to the Alastair Sawday website, I am in the £50-£99 price band and clearly state my single room is FROM £60 per night. Certainly I do not provide 'hospitality trays' (my guests are generally delighted to have tea served in the drawing room and fresh in the morning to their rooms). However, this guest's request was immediately met.
North West
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Susan provides a welcome that continues in its warmth for the length of your stay. She has a wide range of cultural, artistic and historical interests and an extensive knowledge of and pride in Salisbury - deservedly so. She is more than ready to share these interests and these provide the bases of stimulating conversations. Equally, she respects those less inclined to such engagement. Her home is lovely. I felt I was living, rather than travelling, in England for a brief interlude.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HereOrThere7
Edinburgh
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Disappointing, when we arrived you couldn't get parked, double yellow lines everywhere, the road was extremely busy. We were shown into a dull lifeless room where we were told to wait. The double bedroom on the first floor was fine, but the twin room that I had booked, was small and only a single bed in it! Obviously I had asked for a twin when booking and was confronted with a single. The lady then preceded to get another bed out from underneath, the room was adequate as a single but not as a twin, one could hardly move. We informed the lady we were disappointed, having booked two nights we decided to stay one as the room was so tiny. We went out for dinner and when we arrived back, the lady demanded payment, when we paid with Scottish notes which are legal tender she refused to accept them. It was an extremely uncomfortable situation, so we decided to leave without breakfast the next morning, having settled the bill the evening before with English notes!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Realising I had made a mistake in booking it when I arrived.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Saroko
ExSt, Owner at 85 Exeter Street, responded to this review, February 20, 2009
I remember these guests well: two elderly sisters and their mother, who repeatedly stated her age as 92. For that reason only I allowed them to stay, despite their unceasing complaints and utterly offensive comments. I offered to find them somewhere more to their taste and they declined. I now regret not insisting they leave immediately, they were clearly out of their depth and had no idea of how to behave. I am so glad they will not recommend me to their friends, we would not have anything in common. Plainly no Tripadvisor correspondent has agreed with this review and it has certainly not affected my bookings or testamonials elsewhere.