“fantastic setting but shame about the toiletries”
Review of The Lodge Avebury

The Lodge Avebury
Ranked #3 of 5 Avebury B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I agree with all that is said about the setting and I loved the deco and the unique room. The owners were friendly and helpful with regard to advice about the local area. However considering it was by far the most I had ever paid for a B&B (we paid £300 for 2 nights), I thought the breakfast was ok - nothing special and was really put off by the lack of toiletries in the bathroom - not even some guest soap on the sink (even the Travel Lodges provide that) and a horrible cheap family bottle of cheap shampoo and body wash. We did have coffee and tea but not a sniff of a biccy! It just seemed a little mean which is a shame.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Redmondy
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

I'm glad this reviewer enjoyed their visit to Avebury and that The Lodge interior didn't disappoint and indeed, found me helpful too. Trip Advisor is a useful tool not just for Guests but also for Owners. Why? Well, without feedback, how do we know how we can improve on what we as B&B owners do?

I feel slightly perplexed; In the bathrooms you'll find a range of hand wash, body wash and shampoo's as you would expect. They're prepped for each guest booking too. There's also a friendly note that if there's anything you need to compliment your stay then please ask. If hair conditioner and a packet of hob nobs had increased my rating, I would have been only too delighted to offer them.

From memory, I'd found this reviewer a delightful guest and I'm slightly saddened that they didn't simply ask for some biscuits whilst staying, especially when they seemed to find me an approachable host.

Oh well. Thanks to staying and thank you for the review too.

All best wishes, Andrew

There are newer reviews for The Lodge Avebury

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at the lodge in October & I cannot recommend this unique B&B enough!
I loved waking up to that wonderful view of the stones this really is a special place & I cannot fault the owner Andy & Sue who could not be more welcoming with such great info on the history of Avebury.
The room was very comfortable & breakfast was very good, had a wonderful couple of days & I will certainly be back

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sportingme
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was booked to stay here for two nights and paid well in advanced having read the terms and conditions at the time. Due to an emergency medical problem, I was unable to continue my flight to the UK and stay here the first two nights and had to return home. According to their terms and conditions you have to give 28 days notice. How is this possible when an unforeseen thing happens beyond my control? I emailed the Lodge as soon as I got home and explained the situation and asked for a refund. I wasn't expecting a full refund because of the short notice but I would have even been pleased with a partial refund. I know business is business but showing a little compassion for unforeseen circumstances I think would be better for business than saying you can't have a refund at all.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
14  Thank N S
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

I'd had a friendly exchange of e-mail's with Nancy & made every effort to help her recover the cost of her booking & suggested that she contacted her travel insurance company to claim back the costs for her abandoned vacation too. I suspect that Nancy's response from refund request to tripadvsisor feedback in less than a day is probably more of a knee jerk reaction to her circumstances than a reflection on the business. No one likes to have their vacation plans ruined and if Nancy has become unwell, the most important matter is that she gets well soon. Best regards, Andrew

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Recently revisited The Lodge, Avebury, to find the same warm welcome and friendly hosts. Standards of cleanliness still high, and as we had had a long journey, there was a special treat of delicious home-made scones, jam and cream! Thanks, Andy and Sue

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for such a lovely review! You are lovely guests and the home made jam was a very sweet thought too! The Lodge is a B&B set within a stone circle and whilst it's location is unique, the individually of the business seems to draw a lot of regulars from all walks of life and indeed, from all over the World. This review affords the opportunity to say THANK YOU to everyone for their kind words and indeed allows the opportunity to say a big thank you to the guests who have genuinely become friends over the 10 years The Lodge has offered B&B!

The Lodge has made genuine friends with visitors from Belgium, the USA, Australia, South Africa and India, Japan and Germany, Iraq and Israel, Iran, France and Spain, Switzerland and Italy, all of whom have returned again and again!

If you have visited The Lodge and felt perhaps it's not for you, check out the list of B&B's covering Avebury as I hope you will return to explore this magical place.

Avebury Manor is now drawing in a steady flow of visitors since the BBC filmed the series Manor Reborn and Penelope Keith stayed with us, along with her delightful husband. If you are visiting the Manor House, it runs on a timed entry basis so buying tickets early is best!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were guests at The Lodge during August and stayed in the Pelmet Room which has a private bathroom at the end of the first floor landing. We were greeted on arrival by the only member of staff we saw during our stay, an overtly pleasant but slightly false chap, who proceeded to inform us of the house rules. The house itself has uniquely beautiful views over the stones, and is really the only reason to stay in the property. As you enter the house it looks like a typical budget B&B: beige and boring. There is an Edwardian themed dining room to the left which is filled with an eclectic but interesting array of antique and vintage clocks and ornaments. Breakfast is a bit regimented, served early, and not anything special. The breakfast coffee was good though. The Pelmet room is quite small, and has a strange mix of French shabby chic with a bit of Regency thrown in for good measure and a dusty old Buddha. The bed was comfy, and the room was clean but for the £175 price tag, we expected a ready supply of good quality coffee, and perhaps some complimentary toiletries. We got cheap Nescafe sachets, had to ask for milk in a flask, and the bathroom was filled with used Tesco home brand toiletries which left us feeling that the bathroom was used by the owners. Disconcertingly, every noise is audible from both the bathroom and the bedroom, and we were constantly aware of the presence of a young family (presumably the Owner's) on the floor above us which made us feel uncormfortable, and scuppered all thoughts of a romantic getaway! Likewise, every noise was audible from the other guests because their bathroom is next to that of the Pelmet Room's bathroom. All in all it's an okay bed and breakfast, but certainly nothing special. Bear in mind you are paying for the location only, nothing more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank PamelaM277
aveburylodge, Owner at The Lodge Avebury, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Whilst finding no record of anyone from Bristol staying in August, I cannot verify this review as unbiased or factual. To be bluntly honest, if all my reviews were average I would be happy, yet the majority of guests seem to love The Lodge and exude a dialogue of positives and kindness that leaves me pleased to have spread little more happiness in the World.

I suspect this reviewer, if genuine, prefers modern interiors as their ability to date antique furniture is at best inadequate. The dining room is predominantly furnished with George III table and chairs and a William IV oval table, even the piano is 19th Century! The Buddha in the bedroom is 18th Century, it's not dusty, it is however very old, in it's original paint and has a pie crust edging. Guests don't have to like it and some clearly don't understand it, but I love it, it was a present and is in my eyes a beautiful expression of period craftsmanship. As such, the Buddha is not freshly painted! The Pelmet in the Pelmet Room is also 18th Century and the side tables are 19th Century Austrian and English, with marble tops; the side table is Irish, 18th Century and the tilt top table is an early 18th Century West Country piece. How do I know? I produce Antiques programs and work with auction houses, experts & interior furnishers!

The toiletries in the bathroom ... Tesco? Whilst there is nothing wrong as far as I am aware with Tesco, we don't source Guest toiletries from Tesco! The coffee ... Nescafe ... correct ... either decaf or regular ... clearly it is a well known brand and in 10 years, no one has complained about this coffee brand in a derogatory way, referring to it as cheap. My other work takes me to hotels in London and as such, one is London Boutique Hotel of the year and what do I find in their rooms? Nescafe! Additionally, there is a clear policy ... if anything is missing, or untoward ... ask! As for the House Rules ... well they're easy ... No Smoking (It's UK law that we remain a non-smoking establishment) and also, if guests go out into the stones which we encourage them to do, they pop their shoes off when coming back in due to the mud and sheep ... hardly draconian!

Check out is for 10am so breakfast is generally served between 8.30am or 9am ... which again is a standard time. I must add too that as far as I'm aware I don't currently have any young children and I note an almost derogatory attitude to the other guests who enjoyed their stay.
I also note that the reviewer has only left one review ... and allegedly 2 months after their stay!
If I exuded an insincerity towards this reviewer, perhaps I sensed a personality that would while away some time writing a few disparaging and incorrect comments weeks later, not ask or comment at the time.

Oh well, the nights are drawing in and Halloween is soon upon us! Trick or treat reviews are a new one on me! Our prices haven't changed in 4 years now and as such, August books fully.
If The Lodge wasn't for this reviewer that's fine ...as I say, there are a myriad of B&B's out there and however hard you try, someone will always dislike what you do ... I know this isn't a wholly disingenuous review ... or indeed a wholly critical one, but it's deeply flawed and draws me to question the intent.

If only I could rate my Guests!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Wow! This is such a beautiful place to stay. Friendly owners, stunning rooms beautifully cooked breakfast and spotlessly clean all round! My partner and I stayed here for two nights whilst looking round the historical avebury! The location just makes this place seem like a diamond amoungst gold! Shining and rare!
Will return next year :)! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed our last night in the UK in 2011, and the Lodge, Andrew, and Avebury were the most memorable and wonderful parts of our trip. The room we stayed in had a view of the stones out the window, luxurious appointments, a very comfortable bed, superb antigue accents, it was wonderful! Andrew took us on an evening tour of the stones and West Kennet Longbarrow that will always be in my memory. His knowledge and perspective on the sites was fascinating. We long to return! Last night we were watching "Still Crazy" and saw the Lodge in one of the scenes in the background, it made me miss it so much! We loved the breakfast with home made jams in the beautiful breakfast room that looks out at the stones. Thank you Andrew for being such a wonderful host, we hope to come back soon! Alice and Drew Thomes

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avebury
The Castle & Ball Hotel
#2 of 2 in Compton Bassett
The Inn with the Well
The Inn with the Well
#1 of 30 in Marlborough

Been to The Lodge Avebury? Share your experiences!