“Just perfect”
Review of Avebury Life B&B

Avebury Life B&B
Ranked #2 of 5 Avebury B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my favorite kind of B & B: actually someone’s home into which you have been invited (rather than a “business” or purpose-built B & B). Antoinette’s breakfast was one of the best in 6 weeks of travel in the British Isles. Instead of a regular fry (with bacon and sausage, etc.), her “fry” was a combination of potatoes and veggies to go with eggs. Delicious. And she baked a fresh loaf of bread every morning—it was to DIE FOR, and breakfast was a social experience: all at the same time, on a big shared table. I’m one who dislikes little individual tables. In addition, Antoinette was incredibly helpful when we discovered we’d lost our American Express card and our phone didn’t work. She allowed us to use her Skype to contact AmEx in the U.S.(it was a LENGTHY call), AND was wonderfully gracious when we left all our clean underwear behind (YES!), and had to come back to pick it up the day after we’d left!. Her home is small—one en-suite, and two other rooms that share a bathroom. But clean and comfortable. And close enough for a lovely walk to Avebury (circle, pub, Averbury Manor, etc.). So glad we stayed with her.
PHOTOS:

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BarbinSoCal

Reviewed August 27, 2013

What a wonderful host Antionette is, warmly welcoming our party of 3 to her home. Her home is full of crystals, charms and pictures of crop circles and her hospitality is second to none. The energy is peaceful. Don't expect the Ritz - it is not - it is a clean family home and her guests are her family. Communal breakfast was on a par with any 4 star hotel; freshly baked bread, healthy food, copious amounts of tea or coffee and her secret delicious herb tea from the plants she grows in her garden. We also had the luxury of being guided around Avebury - and her knowledge is as as spectacular as the stone circle. I really would not hesitate to recommend her home to other weary open hearted and open minded travelers. Thank you, Antionette.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jonathan B
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Freindly and helpfull service from friendly women that rent out rooms in her wiltshire house.I lived in room with two beds it was a cozy room, share toilet not far away on the same floor.Every morning it was a common breakfast with the other guests in house,it was a good breakfast with newly baked bread,musli,tea coffee and more, enough to get a good start of the day:) Best:service Worst:loud music every morning about 830 am before breakfast,not ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MPnr1
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had an awesome time at Avebury Life, and Antoinette (the owner) was a wonderful host. The house was charming and relaxing, and Antoinette made a couple of excellent breakfasts -- with local ingredients and fresh herbs.

From the house, you walk down a few paths and open a few gates to get to the largest stone circle in Europe.

I wish I could have spent more time there -- and I miss you, Antoinette!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mramsey333
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I had a pleasant stay at Avebury Life with a lovely, generous hostess, Antoinette; and nothing was too much trouble for her; the accommodation was comfortable and breakfast a joy. I highly recommend staying at this spiritual B&B, and sharing the energy of many crystals. Avebury Life is very close to the Avebury Stone Circles, which are a 'must' to visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Gillian631
Reviewed October 10, 2012

It has taken me a while to post this, but I must share how lovely Antoinette and her B&B are. Home-baked bread and exotic cheeses in the morning, with some great coffee. We had booked somewhere else in April of 2011, but had to move for reasons discussed elsewhere. Antoinette took care of us as if we were her own hippie family! It was the low season, so she was not terribly busy, but she really looked after us. I will have fond memories of my stay at her house till the day i die. Also, it is a lovely country walk from her house to the standing stones!

She is a deeply spiritual lady, so if that is your thing, you will be very happy. Only place I would ever stay in Avebury.

Caveat: She has a lovely cat, so keep that in mind. Cats are part of the family at her house.

Room Tip: We had the downstairs front room, and it was very comfortable, and felt private since it was easy to...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I like to stay in Avebury from time to time and used to stay in the Red Lion situated within the circle which was an ideal location until the much maligned pub stopped providing commodation.
For a visit I intended making in September 2009 I booked a night at Aveburylife only to have my booking cancelled the mrning of my trip with no reason given a consequently had to cancel my trip. In spite of this I booked another overnight a few months later and regretted it. I arrived at 10pm after a long journey which is not especially late but was made to feel by Antoinette I had greatly inconvenienced her (though she had cancelled my previous booking. The following morning I was snapped at and embarrassed by Antoinette at breakfast in front of other guests when I asked for a smaller breakfast helping. Not exactly the perfect hostess. The room was not particuarly clean and comfortable and it lacked a tv, radio and bedside lamp so even reading was difficult. The bathroom was difficult to enter due to half the entrance being blocked by a shower unit. Anyone of ample size would find it difficult to squeeze by. I am slim and i found it difficult. Next time I decide to stay in Avebury I think I'll take a sleeping bag and sleep by one of the henge stones. I'll probably have a more enjoyable experience!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Ludger4
AntoinetteAvebury, Owner at Avebury Life B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for the review. My house is small and comfortably cosy. All is made to fit in the shower as wide as possible. My check in time is between 5 and 7 pm and 10 pm is not acceptable. I would have been waiting for 5 hours for the guest. Avebury has B&Bs with more space at greater costs, I do what I can at the prize. If I snapped at the guest it will have been a misunderstanding, as I value my guests greatly, and normally find the same in return. I very much appreciate if some people stay in the hotels not a home setting.