“Pub ok”

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Avebury
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Red Lion is set in the tiny village of Avebury which is three miles in radius and some 2000 years older than Stonehenge! Refurbished Winter 2013 the pub is 400 years old and located at the centre of the stone circle where every six weeks a pagan festival is held. It is in the Top Ten list of most haunted pubs in the country and has been seen on TV as such. The main ghost is that of an old landlady "Florrie" who was killed here by her husband. Ghosts aside, this destination food house is a lovely thatched listed cottage with cobbles and a large mill stone in the car park and low ceilings, beams and traditional wood furniture with a modern twist inside. Food is served from an extensive main menu and specials board, offering a good selection of quality pub fayre with a good range of wines available to complement the experience or a choice of real ales if preferred. The Wadworth brewery is only two miles away! Our clientele are generally tourists and visitors but there is a friendly welcome for anyway wishing to have a drink or dine.
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Pub ok”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have eaten in the Red Lion 3 times in 3 years, always found the staff friendly. Menu pretty boring but manage to find something worth eating, it's not bad value. Not the best pub but the only one in the village, so doesn't need to be amazing.

• Visited February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Bangkok
“Lovely Pub Lunch”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Was a little wary of booking this as there are a few negative reviews below - however - we had planned a day at Avebury and I remembered (fondly) this pub from many years. ago. So, we were served good fresh pub food - exactly as it said on the tin - good selection of wines by the glass and well kept beer. Very attentive staff (all of whom checked that we were happy with the food). We sat in the bar - which we preferred to the back room which had far too many kids (this will be fine for some). The bar allows dogs and no children - perfect!
Open fire, TV (not so good) but a good atmosphere in spite of this (volume was turned down but still a bit distracting). Overall a great pub lunch - exactly what you want having stomped around the stones.

Didcot, United Kingdom
“Function Room for Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked their function room for Sunday lunch for around 30 friends and family. The setting is excellent, the organisation from Jonathan, the Manager was very good and we were very well looked after by Karen.

The food was very good, nice and hot, in clean and bright surroundings. The service was very slightly slow but as we were a very large group this is to be expected.

Would happily eat there again

Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Only had Food here but it is gorgeous”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I love the Red Lion, I grew up with it as orignally from Swindon, have been in there for years and visited it last summer, I could get in there with my wheelchair and they had an accessible toilet which makes a lot of difference to me. The staff were cortious and helpful and were polite too and although now I am teetoltal I know the cider is lovely! I do not see how the other people hated it so much, but each totheir own..

Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Winter Solstice”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Short changed me and didnt take my full order, apart from that it is a lovely pub with beautiful surrounding, nice atmosphere and friendly people

Visited December 2012