“Good quality Tepanyaki”

Neighborhood: Holbeck
Newton Mearns, United Kingdom
“Good quality Tepanyaki”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Having eaten at Sapporro Tepanyaki in Manchester a few times, we thought we'd try Wasabi in Leeds. We ate early (6pm) on a Saturday, as we had my partner's 9 year old daughter with us - and were initially worried that we would be the only people there - however, it filled up after 6.30pm. We stayed away from the fixed menus and had an excellent sushi / sushimi starter followed by the usual steak / chicken Tepanyaki. If you know this style of restaurant, you will know that the chef will be very entertaining and my partner's daughter described the experience as 'awesome'! The service was good, very attentive - It's not cheap, but would recommend.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank RichardTasker

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing !!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great food! Great atmosphere overall amazingg :-) I had the king prawns, seabass sushi and miso soup !!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Stacey G
Alicante, Spain
“Good food but expensive and packed in like sardines....”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

There are two Japanese restaurants in Leeds - Wasabi at the Dark Arches and Teppanyaki at the other end of town. Teppanyaki used to be fantastic however went downhill and in jumped Wasabi.

The first few times we went the food was fantastic (although expensive), the service was great and the atmosphere was great. However, recently things have gone downhill. I dont know if there was a change of ownership or management however there is one lady there who is very unhelpful and seems to think that she is more important than her customers.

We made a booking whilst in the restaurant for another evening however when we arrived the booking was not in the diary....the restaurant was very busy and we were basically told we couldnt stay and eat there - no apology from her or anything.

For some reason we decided to give them a second chance....we went early tonight hoping that it wouldnt be as busy....but it was....

Food was good as always (though we ordered the Wasabi Set menu and received only one prawn as part of this - thought that was a little mean), service is ok though they are very quick at coming if they see you have an empty glass but the worst part of this restaurant is that you are packed in like flies.

I can see that they want to make as much money as possible but there is a fine line between doing well and getting greedy and unfortunately they seem to have crossed the line.

You are held in the waiting area for a drink until your Teppanyaki table is ready - you are then shown to your table where your food is prepared. Previously you would have around 8/9 people around one table - 2 at one end, 4 along the main section and 2/3 at the end - all would have a good view of the table and would be able to participate in the 'show'. Tonight we had 11 squeezed around one table - 2 at one end, 5 along the main section and 4 at the other end - I was at the very end, actually sat behind the chef - felt like a spare part - next to me were squeezed another 3 who also commented on this. It is very uncomfortable.

As soon as you finish your meal you are taken through to the holding area again for desserts and coffee and your teppanyaki table is filled once again.

After tonight, I dont think we will go back - the food is good, it is expensive but we knew that before we went there but it is just too much like a production line - as many in and out as possible.

We tried the other Japanese the night they didnt have our booking and were pleasantly surprised - perhaps its now time to start visiting that one a little more....

Cleckheaton, England, United Kingdom
“Wasabi? more like Wowsabi!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect before I dined at this restaurant, friends said you sit around a table whilst watching the chef prepare your food, to be honest I was expecting a Yo Sushi type seating arrangement.
Walked into the restaurant and was seated near the entrance and had our orders taken and drinks delivered. Shortly after we were moved into the main restaurant area where there were chairs around what I can only describe as a rectangular wok (only flat). There were 4 of these in the dining area to which incorporated around 10 seats each. A few minutes past and the chef wheeled in all the ingredients for everybodys meals and shortly began throwing the ingredients onto the top to cook and serve. Whilst preparing egg fried rice he was playing a little game with the egg shells with myself and the rest of the diners, lets call the game egg golf and you get the idea.
All in all, it was a different experience, had fun while eating and although the prices seem high, you're paying that little extra for the experience. Would love to go back once the bank can extend my overdraft :)

1 Thank Andy B
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sorry just didnt enjoy the food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I don't know if I am in the minority or the majority but I really didn't enjoy the food, the service of the chef was fine, I would say the place in general is quite cramped and hectic, and I guess you do feel rushed in and out , however that really isn't an issue, the egg rice was very very greasy, the prawns were not deveined and tasted very fishy, the beef was nice, but I say again for the most part the food was very greasy and not the best tasting.

2 Thank webby100