“Amazing Food and Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wasabi Tepanyaki - CLOSED

Wasabi Tepanyaki
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Holbeck
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Amazing Food and Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Was advised to take a couple of colleagues here who had travelled from abroad on business. We were not disappointed. The standard of the food was exceptional and the dining experience can only be described as fantastic. We sat in the bar area to begin with where the staff promptly took our food order and were very helpful to explain the dishes on the menu. To start we had a selection of sushi and the tuna sashimi has to be the best I have ever had in a Japanese restaurant. After a short wait we were then taken to the teppanyaki table where the chef cooked our main courses, and juggled in front of us. It was a fun and enjoyable experience. My colleagues were impressed.

The price of the food is not the cheapest but this reflects the quality of the food and the entertainment value this place gives. All in all our bill was very reasonable and I did not mind paying that little extra for something different. If you want good fresh food and a fun evening then I highly recommend a visit to Wasabi.

3 Thank PaulT_1629

“Superb food in a fabulous atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I don't often write reviews but after eating in Wasabi on Saturday night I feel compelled to tell everyone what a fabulous Tepanyaki Wasabi is. The manager and staff made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived. The food was delicious, freshly prepared and extremely well presented. I'm a big sushi fan but I have to say Wasabi's California Maki makes Yo Sushi's taste like plastic!!
Looking forward to my next visit and Tepanyaki experience!

3 Thank LadyKP
York, United Kingdom
“Great food, friendly stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Last weekend Saturday I was in this restaurant and had a perfect service and food. When I saw some negative reviews on here I am totally surprised. We had perfect meal, size of meals was normal and our bill for 3 people was normal. The manager of the place was very kind and the welcoming was good. Our service was impeccable the stuff was expert of the food style. Shortly I can say that we were very very happy from our experiences and we definitely recommend everyone to visit Wasabi Tepanyaki Leeds.

1 Thank Burcu S
South Shields
“Good fun. Three and a half stars.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Ate here as part of a leaving do. My idea is that Tepanyaki restaurants are more about the occasion and not somewhere I would eat regularly.
The chef put on a good performance and served up decent food - not great - a tiny bit on the dry side.
It's not cheap for what you get - most of us had a set meal ranging in price. Mine was £29 and consisted of a small salad starter, miso soup, then (all cooked on th tepanyaki in front of you) special egg fried rice, salmon+prawns, chicken, and steak - cooked with sauce/marinate.
An enjoyable experience though and good to eat there as a group. I recommend giving Wasabi a try.

• Visited March 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not an enjoyable experience...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

If your idea of a good meal out is a Chinese all you can eat buffet (but without the all you can eat bit) where you’re crammed in like sardines alongside strangers as if they’re friends and you like to pay top end restaurant prices for the privilege then this place might be for you.

I went here with my fiancé. When we initially arrived we were shown to the small table for two where we were given menus. For the next 7 or 8 minutes a few different servers asked us if we were ready to order approximately every 50 seconds which got really annoying and we felt rushed. As a lover of sushi and sashimi this is what I was here for but after seeing we were to be shortly moved from our original table (for two) to a big table where the chef cooks in the middle for the whole group we quickly realised how awkward and left out we would feel if we ordered that so we reluctantly went for the set menu and tried to enjoy the experience.

As soon as we’d ordered we were herded onto the bigger table with a load of people who had recently ordered exactly the same thing… convenient for them I’m sure but by this point I’m starting to feel like a statistic, as if I’ve regressed to a nightmare school trip to the Butlin’s canteen or something with loads of people I don’t know. Comfort wise I’d compare it to trying to eat at your seat on an aeroplane. It’s manageable, but not comfortable.

From my experience these types of places do exist in Japan – but as little fast food places where you sit at the edge of the bar and get full quickly for around £4. So for £29+ per person you’d expect a decent amount of quality food. The starter was a bit of lettuce with a dollop of French dressing in a finger bowl. For the main event the chef cooks in bulk in front of you and hands you a little bowl of fried rice, a tiny piece of salmon, a bit of chicken, a little portion of steak and at the end (after you’ve eaten the meat and fish) a little bit of stir fried veg. Nothing specifically Japanese about it, more like an overpriced fast food buffet without the choice or opportunity to have more. The food tasted samey and bland; everything was overpowered by soy sauce and garlic. After you’ve finished you get shuffled back to your original table where you’re given a choice of dessert; ice-cream or fruit salad; a choice I haven’t been given since I attended a birthday party 25 years ago as a 7 year old!

After we finished the server asked if everything was OK to which I said no, and (typically of customer service in this country) she just laughed and walked off with no idea what to do. So rather embarrassed I had to ask to speak to the manager who came over and after I explained the problems to him just said ‘well our other customers are enjoying it’, then walked off! Great customer service, I must just be making it up then! I then asked ‘where do we go from here’ at which point (without any more words) he brought the bill which had 20% taken off and dropped it on our table with a look of disdain as if I was taking money out of his child’s piggybank and walked off. At this point we paid the £60 bill and left immediately, pretty embarrassed with our Friday night in pieces which we had to pick up (we did thankfully).

I think one of the main reasons I was disappointed is that I’ve actually been to Japan! It’s authentic like La Tasca is to Spanish tapas, or Franky & Benny’s is to Italian. If you’re looking for a romantic meal then avoid it like the plague. It might be OK if you’re on a hen party or a teenager’s birthday party and you’re not bothered about value for money but be warned that because the chef cooks right next to you you’re literally in the middle of the kitchen so by the time you leave your clothes reek of fried food. As you might have guessed we won’t be going back. Hopefully one day Leeds will get a decent Japanese restaurant, but this isn’t it.

• Visited March 2013