“Fantastic birthday fun !!!!”
Review of Wasabi Tepanyaki - CLOSED

Wasabi Tepanyaki
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Holbeck
“Fantastic birthday fun !!!!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Group of four came here for my birthday. We had a really fun night, superb food, nice wine... But most of all our theatre at the table was such fun. The perfect birthday night out... We laughed and cheered all evening. Highly recommend! Book the live cooking experience, not a standard table.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Poppeebee

Leeds
“First Visit”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went here when I was having to use crutches and the manager was very helpful in getting a parking space which meant I didn't have far to go and by opening the back door meant much easier access and was much appreciated.
The food was very good .We went with friends and all ordered the house special which consisted of starters , miso soup , egg fried rice , salmon , prawns then chicken. and steak.There was ice cream for desert. The food was cooked in a very entertaining way and we had prompt and friendly service with helpful explanations from our waitress.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Julie T
Leeds
“Entertaining, but expensive for the venue and food”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Tried here following a recommendation from a friend. Perused the menu under poor lighting topped off by a blinking ceiling light to see some quite pricey dishes. Once the order was placed we were lead through to the main cooking area and enjoyed the cooking show put on by the chefs (which was really good fun). However, the food was quite small portions for the cost and the taste was ok, but nothing special. For two mains, an appetizer, a green tea and a glass of water it cost us more than £50. There's plenty of other Japanese restaurants in Leeds to prevent a return here.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Leeds_Knight
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
“Great Atmosphere but nothing special”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We did not have reservation but were accommodated at 8pm on a Saturday night. You ordered drinks and food in a reception area and were then taken to the tepanyaki of which there was 6. Another group of 2 and a group of 6 joined us. There were set menu options as well as individual dishes, the sign on the outside of the window advertised noodles nut it appeared that these were only available during lunch. I can't remember what my menu was called but I got Japanese salad (tiny bowl of lettuce, carrot and sauce) miso soup, veg and prawn tempura, salmon and fried rice, dessert (didn't have). He had salad, onion soup, spring rolls and satay, something claiming to be sirloin stuffed with mushrooms garlic and onion (looked and tasted like cheapo kebab meat).

The chef arrived and did the usual tepanyaki banging if utensils. We did a funny round of flick the egg shell into the hole which was fun. He then proceeded to cook all the various main courses in front of us. There were 10 of us. 5 had the same menu everyone else was different.

My main was salmon of which I got 4 (!) fillets, others had full steaks, or the mixed many where there was chicken, prawns, steak, salmon. We all got egg fried rice.

Everything was loaded wth garlic, the chef did ask 'garlic,yes,garlic, yes' but Dave's meal was actually spoiled by having just too much garlic.

My salmon was amazing. The rice was so so. The service during the meal was a bit hit and miss, I ordered a drink which never arrived and when queried was told to wait, then when I complained again they had to find the original waitress and send her back over. For a later drink I had to flag someone down but other tables appeared to have more attentive service.

After you have your main you retire back to the reception area for dessert, we asked to move after we had finished but were told we had to wait, 10 seconds later the couple next to us had Ben asked to move. When we moved ourself there was plenty if seats so I don't see what the delay was.

The food was nothing specalm yes my salmon was great but that was just one thing out of 10 things between us. Not enough to justify the cost of the food.

Overall it's probably a good start to a night out as the atmosphere is good but if you want really good food and service go somewhere else?

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Don't be scared of Japanese food”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Tepanyaki is by far the most accessable of Japanese food for the English palate and Wasabi Tepanyaki works hard to make the evening fun and stress free. I have visited Tepanyaki a few times in Japan, a drunken riotous affair. Here in Leeds this restaurant sucessfully maintained a great atomosphere despite this being midweek in February! The house set menu, meats and fish is a great entry to this style of cooking, at £30pp i thought not bad value either. My wife and adult daughter had never visited a tepanyaki before, initially bewildered they got into the flow quickly, enjoying the banter with other patrons sitting round the hotplate. The food was good and the time at the hotplate was long enough. the location is great for the city centre hotels, wlakable or in our case a short taxi away. one point only - i didnt see any wasabi itself! - la good night out.

• Visited February 2013