“Pre-theatre meal”

The Restaurant Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 1,982 Restaurants in Leeds
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the old Post Office building landmark, in the heart of City Square, The Restaurant Bar and Grill in Leeds presents an impressive setting to enjoy brunch, lunch, dinner or a private party. Welcoming diners every day, the open kitchen, with a wood stone oven and rotisserie, invites you to watch the chefs at work, whilst emphasising the casual and comfortable atmosphere of the restaurant. Dine at the raised mezzo sharing table, in the comfortable booth seating or from the counters at the kitchen itself. During the summer months al fresco dining is also available in the square, perfect for people watching whilst making your choice of dishes from the eclectic menu. Before or after your meal, you can also relax in the stylish surroundings of the grand cocktail bar, where the charismatic team can serve you a range of drinks from a Mojito to a Sapphire Cosmopolitan.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We opted for the pre-theatre special which is £15.00 for two courses or £19 for three chosen from the lunch time menu. I must say the attention from the staff was brilliant - the reservations staff - someone showed us to our seat - someone else took the drinks order and someone else brought it to our tables. Our waitress took our food order and then two more people brought it to us. The food was really nice and approx 4 choices for each course. The problem came when we asked for the bill - our waitress brought it and it was wrong - we had been charged £13.90 for two glasses of wine which were in fact included in the menu. The bill was re-done and this time our desserts were added on as 'extras' even though these were also included - and all in all from one bill to the correct one there was a difference of £20 so just be careful and check the bill!
My daughter had asparagus, sea bass with Thai green Curry and then the lemon tart - all of which she said were delicious. I had the home made tomato soup, the minute steak and fries(£1.50 extra) and the knickerbocker glory and once again everything was delicious. I would certainly return and would recommend but annoys me when the bill is wrong in the restaurants favour! . This time it took 3 attemps to present us with the correct one

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Me and my boyfriend decided to go here for our anniversary meal and it was lovely. We were a little early for our reservation but they said we could sit down or go to the bar, we decided to eat straight away. The waitress was really helpful suggesting a few nice wines and knew her stuff. We were pointed out the specials and any offers that they had. We were given as much time as we needed to order which was nice as sometimes places rush you. We decided to share a meze starter and he had the steak and I had the chicken. The starter came quickly which was good as we were hungry and it was delicious, not too much so we had room too. There was a nice wait between the starter and our mains. The main courses were gorgeous and just enough portion wise. I was nicely stuffed. For a Monday night the restaurant was busy but the atmosphere was good, it didn't feel noisy or anything and the staff were very attentive. I enjoyed our meal here only downfall was it was a little pricey. Food was very nice though.

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We went on a sunny Friday evening about 6 pm and the atmosphere was fantastic in the bar. Dinner afterwards was disappointing - very small portions and not good value for money. However we signed up for the free loyalty card and were given £20 credit each which we spent on Sunday lunch at Piccolinos making it a free lunch.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We chose to eat here over Jamie's Italian. We were given a great seat upstairs, as requested. Drinks and Food grossly overpriced. The food was tasty and well presented, but £20 for my Seabass and chunky chips is over the top! Two mediocre cocktails £16!! Round the corner the coctails were £7 for two and were much better! However, we'd chosen to eat here because of the atmosphere and vibe so can't complain too much! We got what we'd wanted but may choose more conservatively in future.
In short lovely building, good service (very slick!), great atmosphere!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Having a good business lunch or dinner in Leeds has always been a challenge in Leeds. 'Good' simply means: good food, good wine, good service. I have travelled to Leeds for over 20 years now on business from London. I still remember the old La Grillade in pre-basement times, Bibis when it was pleasant and 42 The Calls which still has good food but without the atmosphere and slow service.
For the last 2 years I have mostly gone to the The Restaurant Bar & Grill. I find there is no other place to go nor do I presently wish to go anywhere else. Food is of a high standard without being fussy or pretentious, it is served fast but in an unhurried manner. The wine list is reliably well selected and balanced without too many off-piste sommelier ego trips. As a Londoner I find the top end wines very reasonably priced. The atmosphere is one most restaurants would dream of - busy, jolly, fun and yes, classy. A great central location does not make for a good restaurant but the owners and the team who run it do. At 'RBG' as i hear locals call it, somebody knows what they are doing and they are doing it consistently well. Every good restaurant has a 'juggler' a 'fixer'; that person who can reseat, conjure up a table, intervene in tricky situation with an elegant aplomb and Leeds has found him. His name is Jonathan, an instinctive Front of House in the old fashioned sense. It is this level of service he provides which could make this restaurant a well needed Leeds 'classic' just as the Wolseley has become in London, but being Yorkshire, RBG is more fun.