“Paying for a microwave omelette?”
Review of El Bareto

El Bareto
Ranked #160 of 1,952 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tapas from my Grannies Recipes in a hand built bar and restaurant we made ourselves. We like to think we have brought a little bit of Spain, a traditional taverna, with us to Leeds. With Live acoustic music every Tuesday in our cosy downstairs restaurant, and music through out the week. Pablo and Yeyo offer as authentic Tapas as it is possible to find in a unique little restaurant. You can relax in the bar after a hard days work, or maybe outside and enjoy a glass of specially selected Spanish wine.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Taking a look to the kitchen is always a good point. They say that the offer fresh and home made food but... a walk to the bathroom shows the real point. Terrible is the best thing I can say, expensive and food that I can buy on ASDA. Never again!!

2  Thank James M
Lovebareto, Owner at El Bareto, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

What a terrible review, we are so sorry you did not enjoy yourself or our food.

If you ever have an issue with ours or any other restaurant, please just mention it to one of the very friendly members of staff who will always do everything they can to help. Sadly it is too late to change your food now.

All our food is of course all cooked fresh, often with ingredients we source directly from friends in Spain.

You mention the Tortilla, the Spanish omelette, which is cooked fresh on a daily basis, as is our bread. Obviously we can't cook the omelette (or bread) just before each order (this is more than a couple of eggs and a grill!), a whole one is cooked at the start of the day, when we bake our bread. We always make sure the food is served perfectly warmed through and if anyone is not happy they just need to mention it to Shaun, Myself or any other of our little team and we will do everything we can to help.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy yourself, but wish you all the best.

Pablo

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a lovely little place, from the outside and entrance it is quite deceiving. You walk into a rather cramped and cluttered bar before being shown downstairs to the restaurant seating area. The staff are very friendly and attentive, offering an explanation of the menu - what and how to order. While there is a good choice on the menu I do feel it is slightly over priced, so the dishes aren't actually large portions - you get what you pay for. Between two of us (small eaters) the bill came to just under £40, so if you are a large eater I would expect a much higher bill, in my opinion a little on the expensive side for what you get. I do love a good tapas and I wasn't fully satisfied with what I ate but enjoyed my experience all the same and would return.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited El Bareto for the first time last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we were certainly not disappointed. The tapas were great and the portions very generous, six dishes between the two of us was really too much but we made a good stab at eating it all as it was so good. We had a bottle of the house Rioja (Vina Marro) which was excellent and at £15 not too expensive. When we arrived at 7pm the bar area was packed but we appeared to be the first customers to be eating in the restaurant but over the time we were eating it filled up and we counted 20 covers including us which is not bad for a Monday night. When we left at 8-30pm the bar was still very buy so maybe more diners to come. Service was very friendly and efficient and it was fun to use some of our limited Spanish when speaking to the waitress. The décor and ambience of the restaurant is very authentic and certainly add to the experience.
We have a holiday home in Spain and are regular visitors to Tapas bar/ restaurants in Spain and we felt that at El Bareto we were back in Spain.
We will certainly return with family and friends to share the pleasure of this place and to enjoy some more of those wonderful tapas.

1  Thank moraira2
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I visited El Bareto with my girlfriend a week ago on a Wednesday evening. It was great. The staff were very friendly and accommodated us straight away. The male waiter was knowledgable and helpful and always available. The food arrived quickly and tasted great. The portion sizes are massive, so bare that in mind when ordering. Six dishes between two, was too much for us to manage. The decor and ambience is lovely, and you feel like you are back in the Med (minus the weather). I am planning on visiting again with the rest of my family.

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I came here for my birthday last night, and everything was amazing, gorgeous food, gorgeous atmosphere and was busy, it was a Tuesday night and I couldn't believe how busy it was! There was a band playing nicely in the background who were actually really good, ill be defo coming back here! :)

1  Thank LauraHumphry