“unpretentious food for reasonable prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tampopo - CLOSED

Dining options: Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Leeds
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“unpretentious food for reasonable prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

If your looking for something easygoing without the usual frills and graces then you could do a lot worse than Tampopo. Similar in style to the nearby Wagamama it offers pan Asian cuisine at reasonable prices.

While not exactly a contender for the Michelin guide I have visited Tampopo several times over the years it has been there and have never had a bad meal. It perhaps lacks the polish of Wagamama but is broader in scope and taste and is a good first date location due to its laid back atmosphere and location just off greek street.

Dinner for two can easily come under £50 and if you fancy a change it is well worth a try.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Paul G

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, reasonable prices and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

My brother took me to Tampopo for a suprise lunch a few days ago. The selection of food was fantastic (especially for vegans - lots of starters, mains and desserts to choose from). The staff were very friendly and efficient. Great location and parking available in 'The Light' complex. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank nugglet
“Nice and quick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

I've been visiting this place for years. If you want good food and are in a hurry then this is the place to visit.

It's set out like a school dining hall - long tables with benches. The staff are friendly and efficient. The menu caters for all tastes and the food is served very quickly.

• Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
“disappointing return to a previously considered 'favourite restaurant'”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

Tampopo was once myself and my friends favourite restaurant. We would go almost every weekend for the infamous chicken ramen.
We decided to return last night and I was surprised to hear when I phoned to book a table that they don't take bookings for after 7pm. I was then assured that they would have plenty of space available for us. This struck me as slightly odd for easter Saturday but I thought no more of it.

The service was friendly enough, although the waiters were openly texting on their phones and not particularly attentive so we had to get up out of our seats if we needed something.

In all honesty, the food was close to terrible. We each had the chicken ramen, it was served to us barely luke warm, the spinach, (two leaves of it) was slimy and the broth was so salty I had to ask for four glasses of water throughout the duration of our meal. I couldn't eat much of it. In agreement to the below comment, the chicken was certainly not fresh and we got the feeling that the ramen had probably been sat stewing for some time in a pot in the kitchen...
It is a real shame as tampopo holds good memories for us for its previous cuisine but we will definitely not be returning!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Frances H
Leeds, United Kingdom
“This is a wetherspoons version of an Asian noodle bar, without the value.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Visited last week after a while, and then remembered why we hadn't been in so long. They serve fake chicken here. The stuff that wetherspoons and yates sell, that's 90% chicken, reconstituted and shaped, filled with water and flavourings, ugh.
I used to think this place was nice, but at their prices, if they aren't using real fresh meat, I won't be returning to waste my money. I'll go to wagamamas or little tokyo.