“Absolutely Dreadful in Every Possible Respect”
Review of Akbars - CLOSED

Akbars
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
Darwen
“Absolutely Dreadful in Every Possible Respect”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I called and booked a table on recommendation on a Saturday evening. I deliberately booked early for an early evening table as i expected it to be busy. On arrival the place was in total chaos. There was no record of our booking - no-one had evidently bothered to book the table at all- and we were asked to wait for a table to become free.The staff were all running around in circles shouting above the overloud music and running into each other like idiots. We were pointed in the direction of a small overcrowded bar with standing room only. At this point we were about to leave as it was clear the staff were completely disinterested in finding us a table or helping in any way whatsoever, but decided to hang on and give it a chance as we like a good curry.

After again requesting where our booking was we were eventually shown to a dark corner in a dirty recess. We ordered: The order came incorrectly and we had to get it corrected. When the main courses arrived they were bland, uninteresting and clearly not freshly cooked but prepared in advance and served with no care of any sort. The place was so dark you could not see what you were eating anyway. When we didn't finish the food because it was so awful, the waiter came and basically cajoled us to hurry up and leave as they needed the table for more unsuspecting punters. The finishing touch was being handed children's lollipops for some bizarre reason which I really cannot fathom. To top it all we all, and I mean all of us, had upset stomachs the following night.

How any one could rate this appalling place above awful on the basis that they have these silly novelty breads which clearly aren't fresh by the way, is completely beyond me.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Piera B

“You've gotta love the novelty naan bread”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

The best thing about Akbars is the novelty naan breads.... They never fail to impress someone who's not been before!!

As for the rest if the food though I'm afraid that I can only give it an average rating.

There are better curry houses in Leeds where the dishes are prepared fresh for each order, I suspect that due to the volume of custom at Akbars the curries are made in huge vats and re-heated as required.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

This used to be one of my fave Indians but am sad to say it's gone terribly downhill and I won't be going again! That certain something which made this place special has gone! The food was low quality and meagre portions! It didn't look fresh at all! The staff were sullen and unfriendly and we're uninterested in ensuring our food was to our liking! It's a shame about its decline but I think it could be to do with the overall demise of the once bustling Greek street area!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank RedUno
“Can't wait to go again :)”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Me and my colleagues went to akbars for our Christmas do! Akbars is a lovely restraunt to go to, the atmosphere is so calm and peaceful and the staff can't do much more for you as for the food, well I've never had an Indian as nice! It was gorgeous! And the family nann bread that was out of this world it was huge!! I didn't think this stopped any conversation if it was put in the way then we would have simply moved it :) the staff were very polite and was on board making sure cutlery was replaced from starters and our water jug was full can't knock the place not too bad on price either can't wait to go again :)

Bradford, United Kingdom
“Too much ghee”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We called after sitting in All Bar One over the road wondering what to do for food. We hadn't booked so we were pleased that they squeezed us in on Mad Friday! Food came quick. My wife had a chicken bhuna & I had a chicken & mushroom dish which disappointingly was about 75% mushroom & 25% chicken. The other disappointing thing was that both dishes were swimming in ghee, not nice & kept me up with indigestion! Once we'd separated the ghee the food was nice though, just a shame as it could be so much better. A bit of complacency on busy night I reckon.

• Visited December 2013