“Not Impressed”

Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
Reviewed December 18, 2013

So my team at work decide for Xmas diner lets go Akbar's.. I'm personally not a fan of the place but decided to go with the majority. So we arrived and got sat down quite quick. Starters were good no issues there ......One colleague arrived 30 minutes late and this was after our mains order had been put through......Problems start here. My colleague orders her main and starter ....they both arrive before anyone else’s meal ....MMM I thought how odd seeing we had to wait 15 minutes for our mains...this to me suggest heating of cooked already cooked.......The waiter then just plonked food on the table not even attempting to make space on a table full of dips and un collected cutlery ....The size of the Naan has to really be addressed especially when one is trying to have a conversation . What is that thing doing in my face covering half the other side of the table? As we had 2 Naans no one spoke for half the meal.

The other issue.......The waiters did not excuse themselves when collecting anything from the table and I found myself having to keep shifting so that there was no body contact ......The main waiter at our table was so close to proximity that this made my female colleague uncomfortable. I mean who collects items from over the shoulder and I mean literally ...This was done throughout the service and really annoyed me???? ...We had to ask for cutlery to be replaced after our starters and also replenishment of napkins. The mains were ok at best and having already witnessed the miracle of my colleagues meal arriving before mine I already pre concluded what I was having was heated food. As stated at the start of this review, this place is not my cuppa tea due to past experiences (deli belly after a meal at the Eastgate branch) and will not ever bother going again

2  Thank Eriq J

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Went with a group of friends from work on a Monday night, when we arrived we were told we would have to wait around half an hour for a table and to wait at the bar. The table became available in around 20 minutes so not a long wait and service at the bar was good. Service at the table was fast and efficient but have to say ot friendly. Now for the food, limited choice for both starter and main. When the food arrived I found temperature hot and spicy hot but not a lot of flavour and that is all I can say about it. Cost us 25 per head for two courses and a few beers so cost not bad, I just foundthe whole experience a bit of get them in, get them out.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My first and last experience of these jokers.
Expecting them to be busy I called ahead and booked - a table for 3 at 8 pm on a busy Saturday.
When we arrived they had no knowledge of the booking and denied ever taking bookings at all.
Pretty poor experience all round.

1  Thank michael186311
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Good location Ideal for groups, very modern. I was with a party of 13 who shared a table that should have sat no more than 10. The staff were very efficient taking our orders and serving us. Although the food look good and was presented very nicely the taste was ok. but I have had better tasting indian food than here

1  Thank John H
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We decided to have our office christmas night out in Leeds and one of the team recommended Asbars. There were 17 of us so it was a fair size order! On arrival we were seated and as we had already given our choices to the person who organised she simply handed it to the waiter. A drink order was taken and the starters were not long in coming. The quality of the food was good especially when you consider the volume required at the same time for such a large group. The size of the nana breads was amazing. The mains arrived and again were very tasty. The whole experience was very good and I would recommend a visit to anyone who enjoys Indian food and is in Leeds for the day/evening.