“Excellent 'homemade' food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
“Excellent 'homemade' food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have been here several times and I have never once been disappointed. Not only that but when taking friends and family they love it too.
The food is simple and not filled with MSG, fat and flavourings. It's simple, well cooked tasty food with an excellent range of vegetarian and vegan food, so good to go if you have a group of veggies and meat eaters.
The restaurant is a no frills, small, intimate place with staff always friendly and helpful.
Takeaway has always been timely, hot and the delivery person has always been friendly. We once placed an order and he forgot our bottle of coke. He was so apologetic and went back to get us it immediately!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank VixWood85

“Worst ever curry!!!...Never again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We called at the Grove on Saturday evening for the first time. After reading all of the positive reviews we were confident we were in for a treat.

Staff were friendly and efficient and we were seated quickly on arrival, drinks order was taken speedily.

We tried to overlook how smokey it was and how i was making our eyes sting - along with the acrid whiff of old cooking oil!
The starters arrived, seekh kebabs and onion bhajees. The seekh kebabs were overcooked and rubbery, the bhajees were a lovely colour and looked great but were very dry inside (both starters were edible, but disappointing to say the least).

So we were pinning our hopes on the mains being better....Saturday night best staff cooking etc!!!!...How wrong we were!

I ordered the chicken Balti with a garlic and coriander Naan, my partner ordered a dhaal curry and a panneer dish.

The meals came....the chicken balti was the same colour as all the other dishes.
Now the only way I can describe the flavours/texture of the balti are as follows;-Get one tin of cheap pasta sauce mix, cube some chicken, add chilli powder, heat in pan, serve!.

Yes it did taste as bland as this. Where the asian spices were I really don't know. My partner had one mouthful of the panneer dish and never visited it again! The dhal dish was edible but fairly bland.
I'm 40 something and have eaten curry since my teens - so I think I can say what a good curry is.
To add further insult the NAAN was made out of a shop bought pizza base!!! ...Vile - almost comical when the waiter said this is how they make them there. Now, I know the meaning of fusion cooking - but this is CONFUSION at its best.
We left nearly of the food, including the breads and headed to the counter. When asked why we were leaving all of the food we explained. Unfortunately our comments fell on deaf ears...
"This is how we make it here" the waiter told us. We asked for a him to consider knocking something off of the £27 bill. He didn't and suffice to say we won't be revisiting.
It was the worst curry we have ever had and we've had hundreds.
If you're a poor student, without much idea of what a good curry is then this place may suit.
If you are used to eating well executed curries, made with flavour and care and with chefs who know what they're doing...then head to the Corner Cafe on Burley Road. Our usual haunt!!!!!

Give the Grove a miss..and don't waste your money.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank rkg25
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Cheap and really tasty vegan pizzas!!! Friendly staff and good service. A hidden gem! 9 inch pizzas are just the right size and great value

3 Thank Catsandyoga
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Rediscovered this excellent takeaway/restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

It must have been atleast a year since I last came here. Why did I leave it so long? After finding out my usual indian jad a poor food standard rating, I checked and found that grove gets 4*. Ordered a takeaway curry and it came very quickly and was delcious. The restaurant is useally quiet and handy for the Brudenell if you are out to watch a band, and the service is great. I'll be going back soon.

2 Thank PennyLeedsUK
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Much better than expected!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My friend took me here a couple weeks ago after several attempts. For some reason I was expecting a typical Indian take-out place, but it turned out to be a simple, cozy, local, friendly restaurant. It was nice to see diverse people of all ages there too. Regading the food, it was nice, but it depends on what you order. I have to say that I was a little disappointed that the curry was not served with nan bread. We had to order it separately. Instead, the curry came with chappaties. I had the Karahi curry and it was really nice! But my friend didn't really enjoy her Palaak dish. I tried it as well and didn't have much flavour. Not sure if I would choose to go back for curry, but would try the pizza.

• Visited January 2013