“A hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
Description: Hello there! Welcome to Little Tokyo, we are an family run restaurant that have been established for over 17 years! We hope to provide you with a nice atmosphere, that you can relax, chat and enjoy yourselves over tasty food and drinks! Please do pop in for a visit and enjoy the candle night evenings :) Hope to see you soon! Little Tokyo
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have walked past this place many times and never gave it a second look. It's behind House of Fraser. Some friends suggested we go. Don't be put off if you think Japanese food is all raw fish. Its not the case. There was four of us we all had something different and no fish to be seen. We had a set meal that had salad deep fried veg, rice and a meat dish. Everyone enjoyed. Service is a little slow but we didn't mind. At least there not rushing you off. Deserts were unusual but good. We will be back.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Popped in for a mid-week lunch time meal. Seated quickly and fast service. Everything exactly as expected - soup hot and tasty; sushi fresh and varied. Atmosphere friendly. Can't fault venue, tables, staff or food.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

There is no doubting that the food at this restaurant is amazing, but their attitude to families leaves a lot to be desired. We have a daughter under two and were sat at an extremely low table that made it very awkward for any of us to feed our child as she was towering over us in a high chair. The high chair looked like it was from the dark ages, hence the harness didn't work, which is essential for a young toddler. It was only later in the meal that I realised that there were acres of tables available in the main restaurant. I definitely left with a sour taste in my mouth.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have visited little Tokyo for around 6 years, and last night was quite possibly the last time we will go.

We were shown to our table quite quickly, however we were then ignored for 30 minutes. The place was very empty for 7pm on a Friday night, so the staff weren't rushed off their feet. In fact we watch them having a chat by the bar for 10 minutes.

We ordered the food and it was came quite quickly. We had the yaki udon and mixed fry bento box, plus 2 starters.

The deep fried sushi button starter was like biting into a grease ball.

The dim sum mai pastry was dry, and cold.

The yaki udon was so salty I had to leave it, plus it was cold.

The bento box was swimming in grease, the rice was hard and crispy on top and the deep fried veg had obviously been microwaved. Not fresh at all.

Very disappointing, and unfortunately our last visit. The food was always fresh and tasty, but last nights effort was absolutely disgusting.

1  Thank Dingledang
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Restaurant: dirty and unkept interior with visibly peeled back carpets from where the service staff frequented. A pull down curtain door with a chilly draught encouraged me to put my coat back on to eat.

Staff: wore unkept clothes that would probably grace a person after a night out in a mosh pit. They were grumpy, rude, unhelpful and had little knowledge of the dishes on the menu. Service was just woeful for an empty restaurant on a Wednesday evening, and having to ask for a drink after waiting almost twenty minutes was not a great start. At the end of the meal there was no smile, goodbye or farewell.

Food: The worst part! £17 for a sashimi bento box that consisted of a few pieces of not very fresh fish. They were clearly not cut by a trained chef (or a sharp knife) and appeared to be flat, random offcuts of cheap fish that had curled and dried at the edges. Taste was stale and texture was chewy to rubbery. The fish were also laid haphazardly overlapping so they stuck together in a kind of sandwich that you might expect to see in the corner of a cat bowl... and I could go on! Ok...I will... tempura was dense, greasy and overcooked until it had browned. I was so over saturated with fat that the "lump" of miserable rice seemed like a redeeming feature! The most impressive part was the single cut of orange in the corner hiding a crusty assortment of detritus that had not been cleaned from the last plate, or the one before that... or even the one before that!

Did I mention that on the way out you pass the washing up area at the top of the stairs where someone was hand wiping the dishes rather neglectfully (presumably not quite getting his damp cloth into the corners where the crustiness congregated)!

Damn! I was so looking forward to this. I wish I could say something positive about it, but i really am stretching myself to think of a redeeming feature! The Japanese would be appalled at this place!

2  Thank Tom K