“Great for Sunday lunch”

Ranked #207 of 1,915 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bar 166 opened in Horsforth in December 2004 as a first time project for Matthew Jones, answering the prayers of Horsforth residents in dire need of an upmarket, multi-purpose venue to eat and drink in.The food is fantastic in its simplicity, offering luscious British meals, all at very affordable prices. The evening bistro menu is priced at £5.50 for starters and main courses start at £11, a bargain considering the quality and freshness.The bar is lively and welcoming with an exceptional drinks array. On a weekend the bar plays a wide range of funky, soulful music, culminating in an electric atmosphere.Food served 7 days:Monday to Friday, 12-3pm and 5.30pm-close. Saturdays and Sundays, all day from 12pm.Bar open all day from 12pm, 7 days a week.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went here for Sunday lunch, we ate in the restaurant upstairs, we had a lovely meal, service was very good and food really good, proper roast beef, cooked well and super roast pork came with all the trimmings! Nice atmosphere and great desserts! Lots of other choice to suit all tastes if you don't fancy roast as well.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

8 dined with a mixture of starters, mains ( nice burger) and deserts.
For the cost it was good. Service pleasant and attentive.
Overall good value. Let's not kid ourselves this isn't an expansive menu and if you are looking for good value and a decent lively sat night atmosphere then it gets the thumbs up.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Would have given it full marks but for the mistake they made in stopping the special offers. Without the offers it is just too pricey for a every week visit.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Visiting our daughter who lives just outside Leeds and found this place through tripadvisor and four of us went for Sunday Lunch. We arrived at 1pm and we were worried because there were only another two tables taken, this very quickly changed and it was soon very busy, which is not surprising as the food was very good indeed, my only criticism is I had the beef and I would prefer to put my own gravy on my meal as there was too much for me but next time I would request this. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We arranged to hire the function room at Bar 166 for a "Welcome to the World" party for our son. It was a little bit of a risk as we'd never eaten there, but we wanted somewhere local and after looking round and meeting the manager, John, we felt it was worth it. We were not disappointed!! John was helpful and friendly in the weeks running up to the party (I like to be organised and I'm sure I didn't need to be so organised ahead of time!), and when we arrived the room had been set-up with enough tables for a few people to sit, while still providing ample room for most to stand and for the food. We were expecting some young children and the restaurant had really kindly provided colouring books, activity sheets and pens, and even extras when we later asked for them.

The buffet was absolutely fantastic and the restaurant even catered specifically for two of our guests who needed gluten free meals. We had requested a dairy- and egg-free meal which hadn't been catered for by accident, but this was more than made up for by the fantastic roast dinner which was provided instead and very much enjoyed by my sister-in-law! It's fair to say there was plenty of food available; some of our guests were real eaters and we still had plenty leftover! Delicious ice cream was served for dessert (sorbet for the gluten- and dairy-free people), again in great quantities.

We had booked the room until 5.30pm but most of our guests had left by 5ish, so the remaining few of us enjoyed a nice coffee before leaving for home.

All in all, we had a fantastic afternoon that was just what we wanted. I would recommend Bar 166 to anyone looking to hold a function - the staff were friendly and helpful, John the manager's organisation was great and the food and drink was to a really high quality. Thank you so much!!