“Excellent food, service and atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bar 166 & Bistro

Bar 166 & Bistro
Ranked #175 of 1,791 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Bar, British, European, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bar 166 opened in Horsforth in December 2004 as a first time project for Matthew Jones, answering the prayers of Horsforth residents in dire need of an upmarket, multi-purpose venue to eat and drink in.The food is fantastic in its simplicity, offering luscious British meals, all at very affordable prices. The evening bistro menu is priced at £5.50 for starters and main courses start at £11, a bargain considering the quality and freshness.The bar is lively and welcoming with an exceptional drinks array. On a weekend the bar plays a wide range of funky, soulful music, culminating in an electric atmosphere.Food served 7 days:Monday to Friday, 12-3pm and 5.30pm-close. Saturdays and Sundays, all day from 12pm.Bar open all day from 12pm, 7 days a week.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been to Bar 166 so many times over the past 6 years, both to the bar and the restaurant, and have never once been disappointed. The food is delicious, the service exemplary and the atmosphere is sleek, stylish, sophisticated and yet fun. It is the perfect venue for any occasion - I had my birthday there last year and there was 10 of us! Last month, it was a romantic dinner for two.
My most recent visit to the restaurant was midweek, September 2012, and once again it was an absolute delight. I am a little fussy with my food and requested an amend to a dish on the menu (salad instead of potatoes) and they did it without question; and have done so many times in the past. We were advised that unfortunately one type of steak had run out so we were offered the most expensive steak instead, at the same price. I was running late and it wasn't a problem and on arrival we asked to move tables to be more secluded and it was fine (gosh, I sound like Perfect venue for dinner and drinks.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Horsforth, United Kingdom
“Very Enjoyable - Starter a Little Disapointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Visited on Saturday 15th September, restaurant very busy but had a nice buzz and service was very prompt and efficient.

Starters were home made scotch egg which although very tasty we thought it a little expensive for just one egg with a small side salad of a few leaves. Goats cheese in filo pastry was more substantial and better value that my fiancée' enjoyed very much. Salmon and Pork Belly mains were very nice and well presented and we finished off with Cherry and Dark Chocolate Cheesecake with a popping candy scattering which was extremely nice.

Overall a very enjoyable evening and food very pleasant, nice surroundings and service could not be faulted - we have been here on a few occasions and have always enjoyed the food and this was no exception, with the only disapointment the Scotch Egg starter which for £6 we believe should have been two rather than just the one Scotch Egg.

However we would definitely recommend a visit to Bar 166.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sue_and_Andy_66
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amzing food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

i have been to bar 166 three times in the last month for one resson or another and have eaten each time and have to say the food has been some of the best i have had in leeds for some time the service was also very good the belly pork main course the last time i visited was truely great i would love to thank the chefs and staff for some great food and i will be back very soon

• Visited August 2012
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had an early evening meal last week (9th September) It's a nice place, Good atmosphere, friendly staff and the food was beautifully cooked. They gave us exactly what we wanted even though some of it was not on the menu. We mixed and matched and they were fine about it. Cannot fault this place at all and don't want to. I am planning on a return visit soon, and the best of all - it's near to home.

1 Thank Tooben
“Best steak ever...yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Visited last night for the "Tuesday night Steak night" but we've dined at 166 many times since it first opened in 2004. Although the menu has evolved over the years, I can honestly say I've never had a bad meal there. The steaks are my favourite...locally sourced & cooked to perfection. I asked for it rare; it came rare. So often chefs are afraid of rare steak & send it out medium! So I'm happy I got what I asked for, and at such a great price!
There's always a great wine or beer to accompany any meal and the staff are attentive but not invasive.
The bar is great for a quiet lunch or a lively evening. Being at the top of Horsforth Town Street it's the first bar on the run & gets packed at weekends! So many times we've seen out a Saturday night there, only to be back Sunday for roast beef & yorkshire pudding.
The facilities are lovely, there's plenty of room, and it's a beautiful space. An asset to Horsforth.