“Food good, but mediocre service”

San Carlo Flying Pizza
Ranked #212 of 1,961 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: All San Carlo restaurants create food of the highest quality, but each restaurant displays its own unique style in food due to the individuality of our creative chefs and management. San Carlo are proud to be able to provide the true essence of authentic Italian food in contemporary surroundings.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The food was excellent, albeit a little expensive. I didn't like the attitude of the waiters, and we had to wait far too long for our food... even for just the garlic bread starter ! Complacent is a very good description...

Reviewed December 31, 2012

New Years Eve 2012

When you go The San Carlo you expect the best, but tonight I was disappointed.
I live in North Leeds and have had many good nights at the San Carlo/Flying Pizza.

Tonight I felt they were complacent.

Firstly it would be nice to have someone greeting you at the door acknowledging your booking.

The first course was good and the service was personable and friendly. The staff were very attentive.

We ordered 4 steaks and 3 were not cooked correctly 2 were still cold in the middle. We complained diplomatically and were offered free drinks however when you have invited friends from over 100 miles away to enjoy an evening you want them to enjoy the experience.

The entertainment was poor. New Years Eve should be a special night where the entertainment keeps you there, however most people were deciding where to go for the last 20 minutes before midnight.. Should we stay or should we go?

This may sound harsh but we expected more. San Carlo step up to the mark please!

1  Thank Sonja1935
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have now eaten here 4 or 4 times under the ownership of the San Carlo group . First of all let me say it is not as good as the city centre branch. There are way too many tables and is crowded too close together . I don't know how the waiters cope. I find the service overall poor. The supervising managers not interested unless you are a regular "north leeds type" - locals will know what I mean.
there is always a feeling of being rushed so they can get another lot in. The food actually is good and menu interesting but overall nowhere near as good as at South Parade.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went last night and normally don't review anything but had such a BAD experience feel the need to let people know.
See email below I wrote on my return....
To whom it may concern,

My friend and I spontaneously decided to go for dinner the the flying pizza this evening. (29 December 2012)

On arrival the restaurant was busy and wait times were lengthy, to be expected on a Saturday night in December.

We decided to eat a few doors away and go back for dessert and coffee when it would be a bit quieter as we are regular diners at the flying pizza and enjoy our desserts.

We rang and booked a table for 9:15pm. We arrived at 9:05pm and were seated at 9:35pm.

We ordered our dessert and coffee each once seated. A different waiter came over and said "it's very cheeky of you to come in here on a Saturday night and just order desert from us. I will let you off this time but you can not do this again. This restaurant has a policy that you can not order just desert on a Saturday night and if I knew this I would not let you sit but turn you away at the door. What I need you to do is move tables now so I can accommodate some other diners at this table."

My friend and I were in shock at being spoken to in this manner. I have never had such bad customer service or an experience like this. I asked the waiter to show me the restaurant policy and he replied "my neck is on the line, the boss wants money and you are not ordering enough but like I said I will let you off this time as you are seated."

Flabbergasted by his whole attitude and response we silently moved tables and were in complete shock. We really should have walked out at this point.

We have been to many many restaurants for dessert and coffee on a Friday and Saturday night in Leeds, London, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff.. the list can go on .. at around 9/930 pm and have never had this response before.

I will not be going again as you have most definitely lost our custom.

Disgusting customer service, no manners or respect for regular paying diners and to charge a service charge after being treated like this was out of order also.

If this is the way customers are going to be treated it won't be long before people go elsewhere like we will be in future.

Regards.

AH

Also had profiteroles what a waste, three for £5.10 tasted like they were from tesco!

2  Thank kash_mood
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Very under impressed by the flying pizza before it was taken over and even less now, the waiters are arrogant and ignorant and the food is average at best and over priced for what it is, have tried it twice now just to see if the first time was a blip but it wasn't so there wont be a third visit.

1  Thank Louise44_65