“The Best”

Ranked #172 of 1,932 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Free parking on main and side street cctv in operation
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I eat at Raja's every week It is the only truly Indian restaurant I will eat at. The quality of the food I have never bettered any where. The ingredients are fresh every day and cooked to order. Superb flavours, superb service with a smile, and quality and price you will not find anywhere. If you are staying in the centre of Leeds, do not waste money on over inflated prices on City centre restaurants jump in a cab and £3-4 later you are at Raja's. I can not recommend it highly enough from local regulars to TV celebrities we all eat here.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

3 of us went to Rajas after reading some great reviews on trip advisor and hearing some good stuff through word of mouth. When we arrived the restaurant was quite small and the kitchen was open for customers to see, which was quite good.. The menu was pretty basic and didn't consist of some usual Indian dishes (ie madras).. A cheeky little waiter brought us some poppadoms which were more like tacos (folded over) and the pickle trays were awful. Mango chutney was so thick it wouldn't come off the spoon and there was no onion pickle tray. We got the lamb chops for starters and when they arrived they looked like something you would get in prison, some looked like the chefs had a cheeky bite on them before serving. The meat was quite nice but there were no flavour at all. We thought that surely the curries would redeem this what was so far a disaster...we couldn't have been more wrong. My chicken chilli dish didn't have a hint of spice in it and was more like chicken tomato soup, not one bit of flavour ... The lamb garlic dish was more like lamb in gravy.. Again lacking flavour and the lamb in spinich was just Scandelous..even the naan bread was naan naan dry dry with just lumps of what seemed to be lazy garlic smothered on the naan. I've neve wrote a review before but this place deserved one for been so pap. Don't bother going your better getting a microwave one from tesco, tasted more flavour in a rich tea biscuit.

5  Thank Luke198
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I chose to visit this restaurant after reading great reviews on the internet. I had driven past the place many times but never really noticed it.

We were seated and brought drinks and poppadoms pretty much immediately by very friendly and attentive staff do first impressions were very good.

The owner then came over to chat to us and as well as taking our meal orders he helped us choose from the menu making suggestions based on what we said we liked. He also talked to us about the restaurant's 28 year history and clearly had a passion for what he did as well as valuing the experience of his customers. It was also nice to hear that the majority of staff had worked there for over 20 years.

After recommending a couple of dishes he also made the disclaimer that if we disliked anything he would just make something else for us instead.

There was no need of course as the food was fantastic, very fresh tasting and with a lovely blend of flavours do that each mouthful is a bit like a traffic light lolly for the tastebuds.

The prices were quite reasonable and well worth it for the quality; the restaurant has been slightly criticised on here for its basic interior design but to me it was just like a traditional tandoori house.

The owner told me that when he opened the restaurant his goal was to run a small low key place with a focus on good service and good food. I'd say that these aims have been wholly exceeded.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We only went here because of the great ratings on this stie and I wasn't disappointed. The staff were friendly and we were served very quickly. The prices were reasonable and the food was tasty. The decor is very plain and dated but this is made up by the rest of the experience

1  Thank Donna158
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Decided to look up the best Indian in Leeds on TA and Raja's came up at number one. (as of 4/8/12) Establishment has been there many years (as has their decor inside but so what if the food is outstanding) and I've passed it many times on my way to work, so why haven't i heard of it as being the place to eat??

Anyway decided against my usual takeaway restaurant and drove the 4 or 5 miles to Rajas on Saturday evening at around 8:30pm. Was met at the door by friendly staff, restaurant about 60% full. Kitchen is on display and the owner was present behind the counter. Very friendly saying thank you and goodnight to customers who were leaving.Got the impression you'd be looked after here if dining in. Collected our meals and drove the 4 or 5 miles home. £32 for 2 starters, 2 mains with rice and a naan...expensive but so what if my wife and i are in for a treat!!

Wishful thinking. Nice food but that's about it. Whats all the fuss about....absolutely average and no different to the many other average restaurants I've been to over the years. Lamb Tikka was chewy as you'd expect it had it been fried.(not saying it was but that's how it tasted) I was expecting melt in the mouth with loads of flavour but no. Lamb chops came as a very small portion, not much spice and a little fatty. Both our mains (lamb handi gosht and chicken Bhunna) were again nice and tasted good, but ended there. Our Naan bread was very dry and a little to 'charred' for our liking. When you're at number 1 on here with rave reviews you expect big things and sadly we felt we didn't get them.

Do bear in mind I'm not by any means saying this place is bad...it's definitely not. I'm being critical of its number one status not the service or food.
Would i go again....no as its not special enough. I'll stick with my usual restaurant for now and seek out a different place in the city soon.

1  Thank Eddie1776