“Just plain brilliant”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Leeds City Centre
Description: It's all about a different atmosphere. It's about good food. It's about good service and attention to detail.So no wonder the long-established Sous Le Nez is one of the most acclaimed restaurant and winebars in Leeds. In fact, our award winning basement bar and bistro - in a handy, city centre location - has been providing mouthwatering food to Leeds diners for over 15 years. Our wine list is as unusual as it is extensive, and our lunchtime and evening menus are creative and very popular. And our portions are huge too!
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stuck in Leeds, on your own, on your birthday. That was me this week, work = travelling and a few days 'up north' were in the diary away from the family.

A last minute decision to go out for a meal, and a quick search on TripAdvisor revealed Sous Le Nez en Ville, followed by a trip to their website to check the menu. Minutes later a table was booked and a nice evening was in order.

I will focus on the food as previous reviewers have covered other elements, although i would say for a Tuesday evening at 7:45, the place was quite busy which is always a good sign.

I had chosen my food on the trip to the website. although I thought I had! The specials tickled my taste buds and so I changed my mind and went for Seared Pidgeon Breast, Fois Gras with Lemon and Beetroot Jelly, followed by baby Dover Sole, Parsley, Capers and Lemon, with a side of Potato Dauphinoise.

The food was stunning, presentation precise and service impeccable. I treated myself to a very decent 1999 Mersault, whilst not cheap it was delicious. The wine selection at Sous Le Nez is extremely comprehensive with all tastes and budgets catered for.

If you are looking for a great French restaurant, then Sous Le Nez en Ville is really worth a visit.

A special thank-you to my friend who took the the order, who was more than happy to chat about food as its a particular hobby of mine at the weekends.

You have to eat here.

1  Thank G4UET
S H, Public Relations Manager at Sous le Nez en Ville, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Hello, and thank you very much for your very kind review of Sous Le Nez. We are so happy that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and that we managed to help make your trip 'up north' enjoyable. Thank you so much for your recommendation and we will ensure all your comments will be passed onto our staff. Lets hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We have had some lovely meals here in the past, but sadly this one was not up to standard. The lunchtime ambiance was not brilliant as the restaurant was only 30% full, and yet the service was very average. Starters were not as good as we remembered, the steak was fine , but the deserts were really poor and tasted like they were bought in - especially my wife's chocolate 'thing' it was completely dry. Not wanting to upset our friends we said nothing , but in reality it was all very poor and not cheap. As most of my school reports said ..could do much better.

2  Thank LuluNorthYorks_
S H, Public Relations Manager at Sous le Nez en Ville, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Many thanks for your honest and frank review of Sous Le Nez. We would really like the opportunity to discuss your recent trip to our restaurant. We will try to get in touch with you as we’d like to the bottom of your visit and make sure we can make the necessary changes so that this doesn't happen again. Thank you for bringing to our attention. Best wishes

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We ate here on Friday. On arrival we were shown to our table promptly by a great waitress, very attentive and 10/10. The atmosphere was good and I was looking forward to a great meal. We ordered mussels but these had sold out, not a good start at 8:30. We supplemented this for cheeses soufflé and pork pate. The soufflé wold have been better had it had cheese in it rather than a sauce to poor, the pork was fairly bland and tasted of tinned tuna rather than pork. We had turbot £20 and steak £26or £29 not sure. The turbot was excellent. Only one complaint it was advertised as having vegetables but the selection and amount served was poor. We would have ordered extra if we had known. The steak was steak and chips, can't really go wrong, bit pricey as the veg was extra. The pudding was a chocolate soufflé except it was tasteless, no running chocolate in the middle just a load of mush, really poor and this should have been better. We felt the options for vegetarians was very poor with only one main option. Overall we had a great evening with friends and we really enjoyed ourselves. We would return but not top end as we were expecting.

S H, Public Relations Manager at Sous le Nez en Ville, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Many thanks for your honest and frank review and we would really like the opportunity to discuss your recent trip to our restaurant. We will try and get in touch with you as we’d like to get to the bottom of your visit and make sure we can make the necessary changes so that this doesn't happen again. Thank you for bringing to our attention. Best wishes

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed Sous Le Nez. I had beef Wellington and it was delicious. Great wine selection. Great atmosphere and unique surroundings. Staff were really friendly and attentive.

S H, Public Relations Manager at Sous le Nez en Ville, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time out to review Sous Le Nez. All your kind comments will be passed onto our staff and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I have been going to this restaurant for probably over 20 years. However, having moved to Hong Kong we had not been in for a while. We went a few days ago with our 5 year old daughter. We were delighted that it had retained it's bistro charm, with one end for the casual lunchers and drinkers, and the restaurant other end. It has always had a very loyal following and I am no different. It was a pleasure to be back. If anything, the quality and presentation of the food has got even better, which was a task in itself. With so many bland chains clogging the streets of Leeds, this privately owned restaurant is a breath of fresh air. It's long standing popularity and clientele speaks volumes. We can't wait to go back.

Thank you very much for your very kind review of Sous Le Nez.
We are very happy to welcome you back to Sous Le Nez and thrilled you found the restaurant even better than how you remembered it. Your recommendation means a lot to us, and we can't wait to welcome you back.