“Pre-Theatre Supper”
Review of Roots & Fruits

Roots & Fruits
Ranked #87 of 1,961 Restaurants in Leeds
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Vegetarian cafe/restaurant. Serving freshly made snacks, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Roots and Fruits has been a vegetarian cafe for over 20 years, we have recently updated our menu to be predominantly plant based. We have worked with the wonderful Laura Thomas PhD to make sure that the food we serve is keeping up with what vegetarians and vegans want! We talked to customers to find out what they wanted; less cheese, fried food and more vegan meals. We launched the menu for National Vegetarian week and had great reviews from regular customers and new faces. The menu will now change seasonally to ensure we always have fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Customers favourites from menu are: The Whole Bowl - chipotle black beans, brown rice, mango salsa, guacamole and vegan ‘cheesey’ sauce. And, Jerk jackfruit- Caribbean sweet and spicy jerked jackfruit served with hard food, wraps and coconut sour cream. Both are vegan and gluten free. Our specials board which changes daily, is now always vegan, Our coffee is wonderful too! It’s Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance and Organic and our delicious range of cakes are vegan making the perfect accompaniment. For the food conscious on the go, all our food and drinks can be taken away. There’s also a tasty selection of vegan treats-marshmallows, pumpkin seed butter, locally made chocolate, you can take home and save for later. Keeping it local we support local artists and let them display work in the cafe, it’s ever-changing and worth a peek in its own right. Vegetarian Society members always get 15% off their bill when they show their membership card. Roots and fruits vegetarian cafe.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Vegetarian food in the city center which is always of a consistently high standard. Attentive service often from the owners is guaranteed. It is very small so nothing much escapes Mati's eagle eye. Jaggi will whisk away your wine and warm it if necessary; (BTW take your own wine the restaurant isn't licensed). Food ranges from snacks to the specials on the board. We liked the vegetarian Wellington from the board and the burger from the standard menu. we have frequented this lovely little place for the best part of 20 years and so have many others that we regularly see at pre-theatre time just around the corner from the Grand.
Find it in the 'Grand Arcade' that opens out directly next to the theatre.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have eaten here and couple of times and liked it. I had the vegan breakfast last time and the burger recently. I enjoyed both and felt they were reasonably priced for what you get. There is quite a lot of choice on the menu for vegans, although only one vegan pudding which was crumble. It was delicious so lack of choice didn't really bother me! I do agree that the place is a little run down, but the staff are OK, they just don't bother you. I will come back.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We came up from Newcastle for a weekend and have been coming here many years. I was salivatinng as we got closer as this is always our first stop as soon as we have checked into our hotel. It is such a shame to read some of the other reviews re staff as we have always find them quiet, unobtrusive and helpful, and chatty when you want them to be - I would hate to have staff standing chatting to you when you want to enjoy the food. I always love the specials boards which are carefully thought through and well priced. This time round I had the mexican bean soup - very spicy but very tasty, my husband had the mixed seeds salad. Next day I had the Thai curry which tasted better than some of those in the more expensive dedicated Thai restaurants, followed by sticky toffee pudding, mmmmmm, delicious, was supposed to share with husband but he was just to slow! He had a jacket with mushrooms and beans and salad and said it was delicious also. We were pleased to see that the arcade in which the cafe is, seems to be getting renovated finally, it is sorely in need of some TLC, maybe this does little to help the atmosphere others have referred to. However, I cannot emphasise enough the quality of the food is great, and we will continue to return.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a unique nice small restaurant. I've found it by accident and decided to go in.
It seems that it is quite reputable restaurant specially for vegetarians.
There is a variety of plates to choose from, specially vegetarian options...
Definitely deserves a visit if you want to go to a small warm place.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Words can not describe how let down, angry and speechless i was after my trip here. After specifically telling the staff that I have certain dietary requirements, to which they seamed happy to work around, I received my food and was mortified by what they were trying to give me. I asked for no sour cream and less than a handful of cheese on my Roast Pepper, and when the dish arrived you could literally see the contents swimming in the orange fat produced by the excessive amount of melted cheese on top. Because of this error in communication obviously i could not eat my meal and had to look elsewhere. Big let down, Will never go back there again and would advice anyone going in future to make sure the staff understand clearly what you are saying to them.