“Coolest bar in Leeds”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Quarry Hill
Description: Much has changed since MOJO first opened its doors to the city almost twenty years ago. Where once Leeds’ original dive-bar stood alone, with its notorious cocktails and late night vibes providing the only reason to visit Merrion Street, it has since become increasingly surrounded by like-minded newcomers making the Northern Quarter a thriving corner of town. As Leeds expanded, so too did MOJO, with openings in Manchester and Liverpool spreading their unbeatable penchant for hosting great times across the North. MOJO now intend to develop further by heading South and taking this Leeds success story to London. Thankfully for the home crowd, the familiarity of what made MOJO’s much-loved reputation remains. There seems little reason to alter their winning formula of damn fine booze, effortlessly cool tunes, laid-back chatter and inclusive parties, all of which are as evident as ever inside their original two floor vital space. The one addition MOJO has made is a lip-smacking food menu that only accentuates the bar’s rugged beauty. In keeping with the relaxed quality feel of the place, this is grub that fills the belly and warms the heart. Burgers, wings and sides are all hand-made in-house using top produce from selected butchers, bakers and flavour-makers, and the result is an unpretentious joy that both comforts and elevates. Capturing the bar’s rock & roll traditions, the menu plays with classic US diner favourites and brings them to modern England. Beef, pork, chicken and bean delights are lifted by inventive additions of sauces, spices, smokes, slaws and spreads, of which many combinations read like an edible edition of the cocktail lists that made MOJO famous. The fun continues for the greedy and the brave, who can take on giant portions and fiery heat by ordering The Behemoth burger or the Mad Dog Challenge wings respectively. The latter recently proved its credentials in a feature on a Leeds TV parody of Man vs Food; you can guess the winner. MOJO’s increased focus on food coincided with the changed use of Merrion Street from a car-chasing alley into an attractive patio cafe area, allowing sociable outdoor seating and eating. Sunny days have been soaked up since midday thanks to all-day opening, whilst burgers and booze in the cosy interior may help fight off the coming winter chill. Taking their street food literally, MOJO have taken their wings and flown to pop-ups at Belgrave Feast and Leeds Food & Drink Festival, amongst others. Occasional initial public scepticism of a bar ingrained in drink now serving food has been won over by the obvious whole-heartedness that has gone into this venture and the joyful flavour-punching produce. And for those not wanting to take to the road or the venue, there is a deliveroo service perfect for an evening treat or a daytime cure. As much as Leeds and MOJO move on, they each equally retain their roots. Whilst the Northern Quarter has become a thriving destination, many go there and remember what MOJO do better than anybody else; serve up that friendly vibe of a lively old-time joint where everybody knows your name. As clientele changes, generations grow with this place, and fittingly MOJO have this year given regulars special plaques on their chairs to commemorate what keeps this city celebration going strong two decades on; the people. And the people’s loyalty is repaid handsomely with tasty food added to the legendary drinks, faultless music and infamous parties. MOJO version 2015 sure have got their mojo working.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Why....visit and you will realise why.....it's all about consistency and good customer service, from the doormen to glass collector Mojo's has it abundance.
Your made to feel welcome from the moment you get to the door, the guys are polite and non condescending, (non of that were going to ruin your night holy than than thou attitude that many of Leeds doormen have)
Inside,its trendy with great artwork on the walls, the music policy is fantastic and always has an eclectic mix of tunes from every era,not so loud you can't hear yourselves think,but always creating a great atmosphere.
It's always a great mix of clientele and everyone seems really friendly, and always the place seems up for fun.
The drinks are not cheap, £7 for a mojito ....but what a mojito and there is a great selection too, all made from scratch and didn't appear to be any of the pre mixed stuff.
I love the fact the bar staff kept an eye on who's in the queue and as there making one drink there telling other customers who is next, and as I said earlier even the glass collector was a happy to help you kind of guy.
I've also found out Mojo's was in the the top 10 bars in the world, and on this visit I can appreciate why...
All in all ....an absolute cracking end to a night.
So...once again thanks for reading and hope you visit Mojo's soon, please leave me a helpful vote cos this has to be one of the best stop offs on my now famous "World Domination Tour"
Bye for now
Ming

3  Thank EmperorMing

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Following a thorough internet search, we ended up in Mojo. A lively, crowded, rock 'n roll, atmospheric bar. Vey nice crowd, with the right amount of friendliness, but avid dancers. Not the kind of bar you'll find on Call Lane. A very good variety of beers and wonderful cocktails, served with a smile. Not uncomfortably busy, even on a Saturday night, we secured a nice spot. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we'll definitely visit it again.

1  Thank agelikiL
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have been coming to Mojo for many years and having just seen a dreadful review of what is easily my favourite bar in Leeds I felt that I should comment.

The music in Mojo is pretty much always spot on, I'm not going to lie it can sometimes get slightly obscure but never for very long, the drinks are great as well but most of all I go in because the staff are just lovely. Always greet you with a smile and it doesn't really matter how busy they are all of them are dancing around and enjoying the night.

Please don't let one bad review stop you from checking out Mojo, it really is a great night out. The only bad thing I can really say about it is it does get very busy on a weekend but if you get there early and secure yourself a spot this usually doesn't matter.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I came to Mojo for the first time ever tonight. First impressions i was impressed by the music, visuals and good bar service and company. My friend and I were having a good night. A woman in the bar had been talking to a guy behind the bar about music, as did I. I went behind the bar as did the other customer, and got talking to the bar man about their music, he warned me i shouldn't be behind the bar. Before i even had the chance to reply to him an extremley rude woman came towards me and asked me what I was doing behind the bar, I explained to her I had been talking to the barman and was checking out the music. All of a sudden her attitude was disgusting, extremley snobby and she got all on her high horse, as you may say. Now I don't care if you are the Queen of London or not but respect is all i ask for. This "managers" attitude was beyond unprofessional as well as down right rude. Not only did she kick me and my friend out but she also unbeknown to me until i saw this group of ladies later, she got these women who we didnt really know , kicked out for standing up for me, nothing which i knew about. Now if this young woman as a mangeress wants to turn away new business thats fine, but I will never ever be returning here aswell as recommeding this place. This woman ruined my night and I hope she realises just bcause she is a bar manager does not give her the right to disrespect and treat people like rubbish!!!! DISGUSTING ABSOLUTLEY SHOCKING SERVICE, MANAGERESS NEEDS SACKING

3  Thank Nikki6126
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Mojos is easily my favourite bar in Leeds. Always a fantastic atmosphere and great music to match. Some bars in Leeds, such as those on Call Lane can be a bit pretentious and uptight, but not Mojos, it's so relaxed and welcoming, everyone's guaranteed a great night!