“Nothing short of excellent”
Review of The Corner Cafe

The Corner Cafe
Ranked #43 of 1,915 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a small, independent, family run restaurant. Our food is home style cooking inspired by family dishes from Old Delhi. Our menu has a wide range of vegetarian dishes available. Following the addition of a new mezzanine floor we are now fully licensed. We stock many different ales from local breweries.
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Been to Corner Cafe on numerous occasions as my friend has lived a few streets away for a couple of years. Food is always of a really high standard and is great value for money. Portions are massive so we often get the early bird option (with plenty of prosecco!). Atmosphere is always buzzing and the staff are lovely. The homemade kulfi are beautiful - leave some space! I've also heard good reviews of CC from other Indian restaurants in and around Leeds so it's peers rate it too. An old favourite and we never get bored of going back!

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

What a lovely review - thank you! It's great to start a meal with a bit of fizz - I agree. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on this site.

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

So many things to compliment this establishment...firstly,the staff....exemplary.My wife and i(with friends) love the Corner Cafe.We feel so at home..nothing is a problem.We were as ever greeted with open arms..water at the table(just after sitting down....to all the top curry experts ..it means a lot!).After having a few lagers in Leeds city,I didn't know if I should stick to it...a pleasant member of staff persuaded me otherwise..yes..the real ale/speciality beer comes into its own at the Corner Cafe.Folks,please don't be bored with the review...starters..main..desserts..beers..all to die for..at a cracking price...enjoy.

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Thanks for a lovely review, Graham. Great to hear that you were well looked after and you enjoyed our local beer selection. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I have had great curries here, but it's so hit and miss - 50/50 - as to whether it's good or not.

This time my beer was excellent. My fish pakora was tasty, but too damp I thought.

The nan was also excellent, but the most important part - the curry it's self - was really not good. It was a tikka masala, and it just tasted like it does if you make a curry using curry paste - and you use too much curry paste - leaving the taste way too concentrated and not enjoyable.

I was on a meal out with friends and we consider going here as a treat, and because everything else had mostly been really good I just put a brave face on it and said it was good - but really I thought it was not good at all. I didn't finish it.

Sorry. I love this place - but if my curry is two steps away from inedible I'm going to say so.

1  Thank pitchtwit
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on this site. I am sorry to hear that your last meal with us was not to your satisfaction. Obviously that is disappointing to hear - even more disappointing to hear it expressed here and not at the time of your visit, when we could have rectified any mistake. Any problem could have been dealt with discreetly and quickly. Next time you don't enjoy your meal at a restaurant, let them know and give them a chance to make amends, that way you'll enjoy your meal.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The staff are friendly and informative when asked about the food. The food was Very good and the service was also very good! :D I have eaten here on several occasions and haven't never been disappointed -Delicious!! Book and try for yourselves :D

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thank you for a lovely review. I will make sure the team gets your feedback. Thanks again.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I love curry's and indian food so being some what of an expert in this field so my friends say I thought it would be good to try the corner cafe.

Lets say I have now been twice in one week I liked it so much I am very particular so this is a massive gold star for the corner café its like fine dining but in an indian restaurant I like the special beverages brought to your table and descriptions given about the food names and the extra detail the staff go in to like water on your table without asking and when it gets empty its filled as a matter of course.

Service is top marks. The food takes indian food to a new level, I also like the idea of not having the normal pickle tray but can choose your own accompaniments for your poppadoms. The main meals are fab mutton is amazing and the flavours are mind blowing no ghee in sight just plenty of clean non oily food. The beef special was mouth watering.

As you can probably tell the corner café has impressed me and I rarely am surprised but this place is so different it makes for a unique experience.

We will return again and again!

What a great review - thanks! We aim for home style cooking served in a relaxed atmosphere, as Karim says "good food in great company". He also uses the minimum of ghee to let the flavours of the food shine through, so we are thrilled that you enjoyed our style of cooking. Hope to see you again soon.