“Lovely home style Indian food, terrific atmosphere”
Review of The Corner Cafe

The Corner Cafe
Ranked #65 of 1,952 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a small, independent, family run restaurant. Our food is home style cooking inspired by family dishes from Old Delhi. Our menu has a wide range of vegetarian dishes available. Following the addition of a new mezzanine floor we are now fully licensed. We stock many different ales from local breweries.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have been a customer at the Corner Cafe, on and off, for twenty odd years, since the late eighties when we lived nearby, and have never had a less than excellent mouthful of food.
I remember it when it still looked like the old bank from which it was converted, but now the owners have added a mezzanine floor and doubled the effective size of the restaurant, it is as good as ever, and it is still best to book!
My latest visit was with my wife on Saturday evening, before a visit to see the Selecter, playing up the road at Brudenell social club. With that blast from the past, we thought it would be nice to catch up with another institution from our days in Leeds, and I called to book a table at the Corner Cafe. I got the recorded message to leave my name and was called back almost straight away with confirmation of our booking, an excellent system.
When we arrived our table was not quite ready but we were warmly welcomed and took a seat to order drinks.
The bar is a delight for beer lovers, with many varieties of local real ales, served either chilled or at room temperature, at reasonable prices. We did not have wine but the prices of that were very reasonable, too.
We chose poppadums and some individual pickle and chutney selections (a nice change from automatically getting the set pickle tray) and this was an excellent starter.
For those who have not been before, the food is really excellent, but is more a home cooking style that the type of food you get in the more conventional curry houses. for example, the food is not highly coloured and the dishes are set out on the menu in terms of ingredients rather than hotness, so you choose your ingredients and then choose your spice levels.
I had Chicken with Pepper and Aubergines, my wife Chicken and mixed vegetables, both medium to hot.
The dishes were excellent, well cooked, full of flavour, spicy but with all the individual flavours still easy to differentiate.
Our Nan bread, too was just lovely, slightly crispy, slightly sweet, buttery, fluffy inside, absolutely perfect.
I have to say it was a super meal in a lovely place. this is not a restaurant that bends over backwards to provide an "authentic" experience, there are no pictures of the Taj Mahal, no distorted Bollywood film music, no flock wallpaper. Most of the staff are European, but all were knowledgeable about the food, and very helpful. Nor is it trying to be trendy or chic. It is pleasantly cosy, and ploughs it's own furrow, by providing superb food, in a convivial and relaxed environment, and with great service, where the soundtrack is the happy chatter of satisfied diners. I think this makes it the most authentic Indian restaurant of all, just like having dinner with our Indian friends, and is can think of no higher praise.

1  Thank Simon C
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you so much for your very detailed review - love the photos! Really glad that you like our style of food and decor etc. We are an independent restaurant and like to do things our way. I love your "ploughs it's own furrow" analagy - couldn't have put it better. Hope the Selecter gig at the Brudnell was as good as anticipated. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I found this place on Tripadvisor, whiling staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I didn't fancy the centre of Leeds, and couldn't bear the hotel food.

It's great!

It's not all that amazing from the outside, but don't let that put you off. Step inside. You'll bd pleased you did.

The decor is informal, but more than smart enough for a good meal. The tables are all stripped wood, and the floor is stripped parquet. It feels almost studenty, but it's not. It's set over two levels.

Great food. Friendly and welcoming service. A good menu with new and interesting things to try. It's well priced.

And, to cap it all, there is a really very good range of bottled beers, offered chilled or at room temperature. Bliss!

At these prices, and all things considered, it doesn't get much better.

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Hi Ed. Thank you very much for taking the time out to leave us a review on this site. Great to hear that you liked the atmosphere, food and your beer! Hope to see you again next time you are up in Leeds. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We went to the Corner Café as a party of four- I must confess I've driven past in innumerable times and never ventured inside.

It's a medium sized restaurant which is nicely decorated and clean and tidy. They serve a variety of local beers, which is nice to see, rather than the usual draught rubbish. The staff were attentive and polite and our starters arrived pretty quickly- my Samosa was fresh and authentic- obviously the chef takes an active interest in locally produced Asian cuisine.

They had a wide range of vegetarian dishes but a relatively narrow range of meat dishes- the Korma ( spelt Courma) was quite interesting as it didn't use coconut or pineapple and could be spiced to your taste.

I plumbed for a keema which reminded me a bit of a cottage pie, rather than a curry, but that would be my only criticism of the food- the other dishes were all quickly devoured by my companions, each with complex flavours. Overall the quality and presentation of the food was good and it was all served quickly despite the place being very busy on a Saturday evening. I'd go back again because it's different, though I'd go for their early bird menu when it was quieter.

It's worth noting that if you aren't local parking can be problematic before 6.30 especially.

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review on this site. Our Corma dishes are very popular, they are made with cream and can be served any strength from mild up to hot. Our menu has a wide range of vegetarian dishes, but also has an equal amount of meat, chicken, fish and prawn dishes. Just to clarify, parking is free on the streets around the restaurant from 6pm onwards. Many thanks for your review, we look forward to seeing you during the week for our Early Bird!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I recently visited the corner cafe for lunch and was very impressed. The food was simply delicious from start to fin. Fresh creative and taaasty. I will be back. Great currys :P

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our lunch time thali. A year ago we decided to increase our opening hours to include Sundays and, as a small family run restaurant, we found that also opening lunch times was too much and so decided to concentrate our efforts on evening service. As a consequence we are no longer open at lunch times. Hopefully you can continue to enjoy our food in the evenings!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I came here for the first time with a few friends about a year ago, after finding it on TripAdvisor. Since then we've been back probably once every couple of months. It's that good!

The food is delicious and I love the fact that you just pick the main ingredients of your curry and then pick the strength. My friend and I both have the same favourite dish - the paneer shimla - except she loves it mild and I love it madras (between medium and hot)! There are so many choices for vegetarians too - half the menu is vegetarian!

Also, as big fans of Yorkshire ale, we were spoilt rotten by the lengthy list of local beers - from Ilkley, Barnsley, Saltaire breweries and loads more!

The restaurant itself is lovely too - great to go with a group of friends but also perfect for a romantic dinner. I love the fairy lights!

One tip: always book, especially at the weekends. It's busy every night and if you just turn up, you might have to wait for a long time to be seated.

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on this site. Really glad to hear that you like our beer selection - we have such talented local brewers, so we love to showcase their ales. Thanks again.