“Every other Curry house could learn something here”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Corner Cafe

The Corner Cafe
Ranked #15 of 1,805 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a small, independent, family run restaurant. Our food is home style cooking inspired by family dishes from Old Delhi. Our menu has a wide range of vegetarian dishes available. Following the addition of a new mezzanine floor we are now fully licensed. We stock many different ales from local breweries.
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Every other Curry house could learn something here”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

To me, this appears to be what happens when an English Professor creates a Curry house with an Indian Hindu: the point being they have really thought about what they are doing. This place is forging ahead as an example of what I imagine the future of westernised Indian food will be like. For example, it is not unheard of for a waiter to offer to have the strength of your curry adjusted to taste. At the Corner Café however, it is a standard part or the menu to have every dish adjusted through the full range of strength from mild to Vindaloo.

There are many things done here that you wish would be common place in Indian food. It is not swimming in oil (something my Punjabi friend seriously objects to). There is plenty of meat (in the meat dishes of course); I have had takeaways elsewhere with only three pieces of meat. There is a good variety of beers available, not just Kingfisher / Cobra. Interestingly, with the poppadoms, you get to chose exactly which sauces you want, as opposed to elsewhere getting a forced section, two of which you don't like.

The poppadoms were actually the best I have ever tasted, flavoured with cumin.
The fish pakora special starter we had stunned us, with the lightness of the batter, and combined well with the yoghurt from the poppadoms. Then the Nann bread was like a warm fluffy cloud with a sweet glazed lining - and HUGE! My main course was perfectly to my taste / strength requested.

I did in fact struggle to find anything to criticise. I would suggest that having been overwhelmed with the choice of the menu, until we were supplied with a "menu explainer", that a larger menu could be created with descriptions instead of just titles. Then people would understand better the thought that had gone into the creations. That said, the quality and range of the vegetarian dishes would be a delight to many - and also far closer to authentic Indian food you would get on the sub-continent. So the only negative point I could find was that I hate the tacky plastic poppadum baskets.

To finish on a high note, would I recommend this place? Oh YES, already have - anyone who likes Indian food or runs an Indian restaurant should come here to see how well it can be done.

1 Thank Simon E
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thanks, Simon, for a very well rounded review! Great to hear that you enjoyed your food and our style of cooking. We are an independant restaurant and are proud to be a little different, so glad to hear you enjoyed your meal out with us. Hope to see you both again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Booked this Indian as my Girlfriend has Indian roots and I wanted to provide nostalgia for Valentine's Day.

The staff were incredible, the food was some of the best i've ever had, and the Kulfi made by Kate (home made) was unbelievable, with my girlfriend saying she preferred it to the original Kulfi she had in India when she was younger!

They re-lit the candle very promptly as it had gone out, we hadn't even noticed! they were very attentive and would re-fill water without our asking, which was wonderful.

We had 3 courses each with a bottle of wine, and was only 50 pounds. I would fully recommend this place to absolutely ANYONE.

Thanks so much Corner Cafe, you helped to make a perfect valentines day.

1 Thank ross h
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you so much for those positive words! I am really glad you enjoyed your special evening out with us. It was lovely to meet you both. Thank you again.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“My new favourite”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

After attending Corner Cafe for the 3rd time, I've officially named it as my new favourite venue for a curry!

I've been before with a couple of large groups of friends, so we were served on a set banquet menu - both times were great, but last night I went with my partner for Valentines.

The mixed bhaji & mixed kebab starters ( to share, of course) were perfection!

Our mains were 'paneer, potato & spinach' and a 'keema & mushroom corma' - accompanied by peshwari naan (honey glazed amazingness) - also perfect!

The venue is intimate and individual, so if you like the bland branded venues this isn't for you.

Fantastically friendly owners and staff, with Kate always taking time to personally check everything is right for her guests - and Karim is busy in the kitchen, but still came out to say hello both times I was there with groups.

This place is outstanding & deserves the high ratings it has on here.

1 Thank Rob W
Hi Rob. Thank you for a lovely review and thank you for choosing us for your Valentines night out! Love the photos ...
selby
“Fantastic..”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Totally enjoyed our very first visit.Admittedly it was due to Trip Advisor that we were steered in this direction...and we were not disappointed.Staff were so caring..advice was a plenty.We booked (2 couples) 3 weeks in advance..plenty of room between tables..not much room left in the tummy though.After many curry house trips over 30 years,on reflection this is just about....as good as it gets.Well done to team "Corner Cafe"

Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review. It was lovely to meet you all last night and I know the team will enjoy reading your positive comments. Thank you again!
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“An enigma”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place is an enigma. It is owned and run by an English couple. The kitchen staff are also English. The food is very good, home made style traditional Indian dishes.......none of this typical English-Indian junk that is usually on offer. The beer selection is fantastic, all local brewed. Price is average.

I have read all the bad reviews fo rthis place and can't see why they were made. My guess is if you have never had traditional Indian food then you may not be overly impressed.

If you are staying in Roomzzz City West Aparthotel, it is under 5 minutes walk away.

• Visited February 2014
Kate_Ghauri, Owner at The Corner Cafe, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for a lovely review. We have an international team here at The Corner Cafe from all corners of the globe! My husbands father was born in India and our cooking is based on his grandmothers recipies, so I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us. Thank you again.