“Disappointing”
Review of The Corner Cafe

The Corner Cafe
Ranked #30 of 1,857 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are a small, independent, family run restaurant. Our food is home style cooking inspired by family dishes from Old Delhi. Our menu has a wide range of vegetarian dishes available. Following the addition of a new mezzanine floor we are now fully licensed. We stock many different ales from local breweries.
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Well. We were really looking forward to the 2nd best restaurant in Leeds as we were down for the cricket. Early Bird offer was really rushed. Starters were not good- kebab was like shoe leather. Mains were better but very small half portions. More like quarters. Owner was very nice but other staff were inefficient and frantic. We were unsubtly made to leave for next sitting at 8pm.

1 Thank DrP_DrJ

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Terrific and original food, great value, lovely people”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Have been visiting the Corner Cafe for some 30 years or so, originally at the Buslingthorpe Lane branch, but though the restaurant has reinvented itself with classier decor and a drinks license, the food remains outstanding and many of the signature dishes such as the Chaat starter I've never found anywhere else are reassuringly still present. There's now a great range of local bottled beers and the Sicilian house wine is amzing value at less than £10 a bottle. Half the menu is vegetarian, but even with the meat and fish dishes what stands out for me is that you can really taste each individual flavour. It's hard to find fault with anything: it's not in the most salubrious area of Leeds but not far from the centre; yes, they do charge you for each indivdual pickle you select to go with your papadoms but overall value is so good it's hard to mind; occasionally when really busy service can be a tad slow but Kate's calming presence always reassures you that the delay will not last long and that when the food comes you'll be in for a treat.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank RossLeeds
Aberdeen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best all round Indian food I've had in a long time from the beer to the Kulfi.”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I went early on a Tuesday night - could be empty I thought ... but not a bit of it being at least half full and many "regulars". I was warmly greeted by the owner who efficiently went through the menu. An early bird deal 6:00 to 7:30 included a starter and the sensible option of a half size main with variations around this easy to arrange. Even the beer was real ale with a full description of the hops used etc. I had a great Peshwari Nan & chicken with daal to my heat request. The Kulfi was to die for being home made and included a sticky toffee and rum and raisin options which I could not choose between so I took the offer of a bit of each. A great meal I will return if I'm in Leeds ...

1 Thank Roger2621
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“A rare gem in a big city”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Near the centre sits a fantastic café with very friendly and helpful staff. The venue is modern with Indian twist. The owner is very animated and genuinely welcoming. Top class hospitality. The food was great. I had the chicken bhuna which was one of the best i have had. The restaurant has a alcohol license and supports local beers such as Copper Dragon from Skipton among others. I recommend to try Kate's Kulfi Sticky Toffee Pudding. It is an ice cream which tastes exactly like the well known dessert.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank balazsbela
Houston, Texas
“Simply the best indian restaurant we know - and worth the long trip”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We used to frequent this restaurant in the mid-80s and absolutely loved it. So, on a rare return trip to the UK, we had to go back and see if it was still as good as we remembered ..... it certainly was. The service is friendly, professional and very welcoming and you are not kept waiting long for your food. The food is exceptional. The atmosphere is very relaxed and informal. Since our visit, I believe they have added a mezzanine floor and bar, so we will be back in July to check it out!!
Susan Phillips, Texas USA