“Contemporary Elegance”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Yorkshire
“Contemporary Elegance”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was lucky enough to visit The Man Behind the Curtain with my husband in June this year. The restaurant itself is a large light open space, modern with simple decoration and furnishings. It oozes a cool, understated elegance; a fine dining restaurant but without being fancy and over pretentious. The cocktails were divine and the dishes were simply works of art. I won't go into too much detail as I believe you need to visit to truly appreciate the fares on offer. We enjoyed the wine pairing with the taster menu and couldn't fault anything. The ideas and concepts were unique and unlike anything we had eaten before. Quality and depth of flavour supersede quantity and we left satisfied, wanting to return and sample some more of the culinary talent provided by Michael O'Hare and his team.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank sambucasista

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We visited here on Thursday night and loved it!
2 of our party are pescatarians and this was dealt with without issue.
Every course was imaginative and really flavoursome.
The waiting staff were really knowledgable, friendly and helpful.
I loved the fact that some of our dishes were brought to the table by Michael.
This place is just what leeds needs. We will be returning!

3 Thank Lolly101
London
“He's done it again...”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I'm pretty sure Michael O'Hare could buy a Fish and Chip van and soon have it as the top restaurant in the county.

His latest venture; 'The Man Behind the Curtain' is another example of him bringing the kind of location to Yorkshire that is typically the preserve of culinary capitals, whilst managing to put a firm 'local' slant on his (unrivalled as far as I'm concerned) technical prowess to create a really unique experience.

Drink aren't ignored either - with the cocktails and aperitifs being just as incredible. I'd particularly recommend the Lavender Gin and Tonic or the Tahitian Vanilla (which is served in a solid ice ball).

The presentation of each dish (and manner of consumption) is evidently highly considered, and creates a real buzz as each one is delivered - making the evening a very social and fun experience.

We had 2 dietary requirements which were taken care of effortlessly and worked around without mention - which is typically one of the things that can put me off tasting menu's - but this was a breeze - testament to which being my uncertainty as to which dishes would have been affected!

Overall - the best food in Leeds, in the most chic location in the city. Win Win. (Again).

3 Thank CJJamieson
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Am I missing the point?”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Have to admit we got carried away by the hype, the Trip Advisor reports and comments; our expectations were very high. We love getting dressed up, which we did but very few others seemed to have made an effort; we love fine dining, excellent service and unique surroundings, in fact we relish a true dining experience, however 8 spoonfuls of food, no matter how unique or flavoursome, does not create a meal and is certainly not worth £65 per head! Have to admit we had a superb evening, the restaurant is cool and trendy, the staff were great and the theater of the service superb, the bit that let it down for us was rushing in the door once home and racing to get the frying pan out for bacon butties!

8 Thank HarleyMilo
York, United Kingdom
“An absolutely delightful treat”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I started the evening here with an aperitif, mandarin and Tahitian vanilla. What I got was a strong, refreshing cocktail served in a vessel sculpted entirely from ice and a hollowed out vanilla pod as a straw. This set a very high bar for the rest of the meal and the chefs did not disappoint. The food here is a real spectacle, and so I won’t go into too much detail as the inventive and stunning presentation really add to the experience. Each morsel was filled with flavour and texture and the whole thing from start to finish was like nothing I’ve had before, a really original and delightful offering that excited the palette. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the chef prepared a gluten free bread for our intolerant guest, which was one of the nicest breads I have ever eaten. The wine flight was delicious and complimentary to the food and the chefs coming to your table and interacting at the point of service was a very welcomed novelty. I’m very excited about returning to this restaurant when the menu changes, excellent work!

4 Thank Steven P